Formerly known as gotj

Threadless-stem tubes for 27 x 1 1/4 tires?

Ok, this may be a dumb quesiton, but I'm dumb enough to not know the answer.

I have an old (c. 1976) Peugeot UO-8 with 27" wheels and Panaracer Pasela TG 27 x 1 1/4" tires.

I have several Michelin A1 Aircomp tubes (for use on our other bikes), sized 700 18/23, with threadless valve stems. I love the threadless stems—they work much better with my Silca floor pump.

Is it ok to use these tubes w/the 27 x 1 1/4" tires, or are the sizes too different?

If not, any recommendations for threadless-stem tubes for those tires?

Banned forever.....or not
    You need tubes for 700 x 32
    The ones you have are pretty small. They may stretch, but they will be very thin.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

dan5472
    do you have a schrader to presta valve insert/conversion? I have 3 older bikes and they are all schrader valves. My brother runs the conversion on his old TREK. Don't know why cause its the only bike he has and you can but 27 inch tubes at Wal-Mart or all day on line.

Formerly known as gotj
    Quote Originally Posted by dan5472
    do you have a schrader to presta valve insert/conversion? I have 3 older bikes and they are all schrader valves. My brother runs the conversion on his old TREK. Don't know why cause its the only bike he has and you can but 27 inch tubes at Wal-Mart or all day on line.
    Yes, my other bike has presta valves so I prefer to run presta on both.

Formerly known as gotj
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    You need tubes for 700 x 32
    The ones you have are pretty small. They may stretch, but they will be very thin.
    Thanks, grumpy. So 700 tubes are fine for 27" wheels, but these are too narrow. I'll look for some wider ones w/smooth stems.

RoadBikeReview Member

I know why

Quote Originally Posted by dan5472
    At least IME presta valves are much easier to inflate consistently at high pressures. I got some rim inserts for my rainy-day commuter (with 27" wheels) after having a nasty time fixing a flat in the rain. Had a hell of a time getting that shrader head on and off the valve in the muck without losing too much pressure. With presta it's a piece of cake.

dan5472
    Good to know it works great for you. Maybe thats why my Bro runs presta's
    on that old Trek of his.