RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

Thumbs down through axle wheels?

So I am considering a new bike, domane w disc brakes, and it has through axle wheels. It comes with paradigm comp wheels, I could upgrade to Bontrager pro 3 carbon wheels.

I am concerned about cross winds on 35 rim depth. I doubt I will notice the aero benefit, i am old and don't race.
    Any opinions out there?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    I have a Domane SLR8 with rim brakes ( paradigm comp wheels). They are light, spin up quick and feel fast.
    I aggree that you will notice little areo benifits, but the depth should be no problem on the pro 3's and they do have the "cool" factor.
    I'd go for it on an upgrade.
    The Domane is an awesome bike BTW. Go for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Just test ride it on a windy day.
    I have no experience with those or any 35mm rims but body weight is also a factor so even if I or any stranger on the internet did you should take it with a grain of salt.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Why the 'thumbs down' in your thread title? You don't even have the bike yet, how would you know? As for advice, none of us know you so how could we provide any solid advice? I doubt 3's would be any problem in windy conditions, they're a pretty small section.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    the thumbs down was operator error. I like the bike! not sure about the disc brakes. It is hilly here, they are super nice on the descents, heavy on the uphill. expensive. the thru axle is also an issue, not compatible with some roof racks, can't use my other wheels. I am considering getting the paradigm elite wheels to save some weight. I weigh 150-155 lbs these days. I also like the the 32mm tires, they ride great! kind of a hold onto the past or embrace the new world decision...

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I have a Domane with 40mm Vision wheels and disc brakes. A stiff crosswind definitely blows me around a bit. It was a bit shocking at first, but I’ve gotten used to it.

The thru axle is something of a pain as it pertains to racks. I have an adapter for the quick release fork mount on my rack. It works fine, but presents a security issue in that it can’t be locked so I use a cable. (My setup is in a pickup bed.). Other than that I really like thru axle. There’s no jacking around with lawyer tabs or making sure the wheel is aligned properly. It perfect every time.

My 54cm bike weighed 19 lbs before adding accessories.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I can't say much about thru axles as I only ride thru axles on my mtb bike!
    But about the 35mm rim depth, that's nothing. At your weight, you will have no issue with winds. Heck, I'm 125 lbs and I ride 50mm - 55mm wheels all the time and find them manageable for the most part. Only when the winds kick up over 20 mph or if I go around a corner at high speed AND there is a crosswind on the other end of the corner then it can give me a hairy surprise (but I learn to anticipate such things and prep my body for it).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    But about the 35mm rim depth, that's nothing. At your weight, you will have no issue with winds. Heck, I'm 125 lbs and I ride 50mm - 55mm wheels all the time and find them manageable for the most part. Only when the winds kick up over 20 mph or if I go around a corner at high speed AND there is a crosswind on the other end of the corner then it can give me a hairy surprise (but I learn to anticipate such things and prep my body for it).
    Have you ever had an 18-wheeler pass you at 60mph with those wheels? I understand it's not pleasant.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I live in a windy city and have 40mm rims. There are definitely days where I want shallower rims. I'm not fast either, but you notice the aero benefits when you get over 20mph. I'm going to get another set of wheels with more durable tires for everyday use, and keep the deep ones for sportif events, etc..., when I feel like treating myself. You'll survive with the 35mm, and I'm sure they'll mostly be great, except when you get gusted here and there.
    Pop a wheelie!

Icicle Bay a.k.a. Beetlebaum - Black Cat Disc Roadie
    Tang (CX) - 198? Curtlo Cyclocross (she's heavy, but she's mine)