Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Advice

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015

Tire Advice

I'm riding a specialized roubaix with the rim brakes. I had the specialized stock 25s on there and the tires were getting wore out so I recently purchased the continental 4000 ii grand prix in 28. They ride like a dream but I was having trouble fitting them into the brake without deflating. I even loosened the brake with no luck. Nonetheless, this hasn't been a big deal because the ride was so much nicer....until yesterday I noticed a little bit of a buzzing sound. I stopped and inspected immediately and noticed the tire was rubbing on the bottom of the brake. I checked this when installing and it had very little clearance but clearance nonetheless. Long story short I have an older set of 28 gator skins on a spare bike that measures slightly less than the 4000s. I also have a set of 25 continental 4000 ii grand prix on my wife's bike (which she isn't riding right now). From a comfort standpoint am I better off trying the gator skins in 28 to see how they fit or am I better off riding the 4000s in 25? If unknown I'll just do the quick swap and try both options out but I figured I could save the effort if anyone has tried this before.

Very disappointing that the 28s in the 4000s aren't working out. They're so dang smooth.....I guess I'll have to wait until one day when I upgrade to the disc brake roubaix in the newer models...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    If you're looking for comfort the 4000s in 25 would be my choice. It depends on your weight but at 170 I would run them around 85-95lbs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    The Gatorskin's rolling resistance is significantly higher than the 4000S II, so I would only use the Gatorskin if puncture protection was of paramount importance. If comfort and efficiency are a higher priority, then get the GP4000S in a size that fits.

FWIW I seem to recall the GP4000S II tend to be bigger than the advertised: e.g. BCR measured the 25mm, inflated at 7 bar, at 27 width/25 height. How big the tire is on your bike, depends however on the rim's width and inflation pressure you will use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Seems odd u r having brake clearance issues, there must be some adjustments that could be made?

The only issues I had with the 4000s ii were tight frame clearances, but there's just enough space in my frames to be fine.

I think my 25s measured almost 27.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasman777 View Post
    Long story short I have an older set of 28 gator skins on a spare bike that measures slightly less than the 4000s. I also have a set of 25 continental 4000 ii grand prix on my wife's bike (which she isn't riding right now). From a comfort standpoint am I better off trying the gator skins in 28 to see how they fit or am I better off riding the 4000s in 25?
    GP4000 in 25 will be far superior to gatorskins in any width. Gatorskins are heavy duty flat protection tires with reinforced sidewalls. They'll never be as comfortable as the Grand Prix.

Quote Originally Posted by oct3 View Post
    FWIW I seem to recall the GP4000S II tend to be bigger than the advertised: e.g. BCR measured the 25mm, inflated at 7 bar, at 27 width/25 height. How big the tire is on your bike, depends however on the rim's width and inflation pressure you will use.
    Correct. GP's generally measure 1-2mm wider than the listed size, depending on your rims.

Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Seems odd u r having brake clearance issues, there must be some adjustments that could be made?
    They're rubbing the bottom of the brake. There's no adjustment for the height of the brake caliper.
    The frame was probably made with the mounting pivot 1-2mm too low. Only options are smaller tires or possibly a different model brake caliper with more clearance.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I thought comfort frames (especially the Roubaix) was supposed to accommodate giant sized tires?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    I thought comfort frames (especially the Roubaix) was supposed to accommodate giant sized tires?
    i thought a 28 would be fine too....not sure if it affects it or not but my frame is only a 54.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    I have no dog in this. But, OP never said how old his roubaix is. The Roubaix model has been out since around 2005ish. The "must use wide tires" thing has become fashionable in the last couple years. I would not assume an old roubaix was designed to fit the new wide tire trend.

grizzly moderator
    I have had and still do a series of Roubaix bikes over the years. The earlier ones do not fit the Conti 4KSii 28s (which measure 32mm on 17c rims!!!!), the later releases do but with no clearance to speak off.

Suggestion to the OP: If your Roubaix is of earlier release and mid-line or below, most probably came with Tektro brakes. If you replace the Tektro with Shimano you will increase the clearance to the tire, enough to fit a true 28mm tire.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    GP4000 in 25 will be far superior to gatorskins in any width. Gatorskins are heavy duty flat protection tires with reinforced sidewalls. They'll never be as comfortable as the Grand Prix.
    A sidewall failure is the thing to go for and a tyre with propped up sidewalls is the invention of the devil.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    I'm riding a specialized roubaix with the rim brakes. I had the specialized stock 25s on there and the tires were getting wore out so I recently purchased the continental 4000 ii grand prix in 28. They ride like a dream but I was having trouble fitting them into the brake without deflating. I even loosened the brake with no luck. Nonetheless, this hasn't been a big deal because the ride was so much nicer....until yesterday I noticed a little bit of a buzzing sound. I stopped and inspected immediately and noticed the tire was rubbing on the bottom of the brake. I checked this when installing and it had very little clearance but clearance nonetheless. Long story short I have an older set of 28 gator skins on a spare bike that measures slightly less than the 4000s. I also have a set of 25 continental 4000 ii grand prix on my wife's bike (which she isn't riding right now). From a comfort standpoint am I better off trying the gator skins in 28 to see how they fit or am I better off riding the 4000s in 25? If unknown I'll just do the quick swap and try both options out but I figured I could save the effort if anyone has tried this before.

Very disappointing that the 28s in the 4000s aren't working out. They're so dang smooth.....I guess I'll have to wait until one day when I upgrade to the disc brake roubaix in the newer models...
    A picture is worth a thousand words.

Can you post a pic please?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    I have had and still do a series of Roubaix bikes over the years. The earlier ones do not fit the Conti 4KSii 28s (which measure 32mm on 17c rims!!!!), the later releases do but with no clearance to speak off.

Suggestion to the OP: If your Roubaix is of earlier release and mid-line or below, most probably came with Tektro brakes. If you replace the Tektro with Shimano you will increase the clearance to the tire, enough to fit a true 28mm tire.

2015 roubaix sl4

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dracula View Post
    A picture is worth a thousand words.

Can you post a pic please?

Tire Advice-img_2240.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    As DC Griz suggested, upgrade your brakes to Shimano 105 or Ultegra, and you should have enough clearance for that tire to clear safely.

You might have the shop techs check the fit to be sure, before you make the purchase. You'll get better braking as well as better tire clearance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    As DC Griz suggested, upgrade your brakes to Shimano 105 or Ultegra, and you should have enough clearance for that tire to clear safely.

You might have the shop techs check the fit to be sure, before you make the purchase. You'll get better braking as well as better tire clearance.
    I actually brought it to a LBS and the we placed the 105 brake on the bike and it had very little clearance. Needless to say I didn't buy them

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Well then, the only obvious answer is.. .NEW BIKE!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    Haha, that's the reason I won't get on the new roubaix. The new ones sound pretty awesome but I can't validate a new one. Haha

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

Or a new fork barring Specialized's proprietary fork system.

Won't necessarily solve the clearance problem in the rear triangle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2240.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	318835
    As I wrote in another post: maybe a new fork?

The picture also shows that the brake pads sit very high in the brake callipers.

I really wonder if the fork drilling for the callipers is at fault.

a real member's member
    dremel
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    The frame was probably made with the mounting pivot 1-2mm too low.
    The picture also shows that the brake pads sit very high in the brake callipers.

That's what I had thought. Picture sure makes it look that way. I'd get the shop to verify that the fork is to spec.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Vermonter
    Mar 2007
    As I wrote in another post: maybe a new fork?

Looking closely at the pix, it's seems obvious that the pads are adjusted to the highest part of the calipers with plenty of room to slide them down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Very disappointing that the 28s in the 4000s aren't working out. They're so dang smooth.......
    I think as mentioned Shimano brakes might solve the front clearance problem........but there's no law front and rear tires need to be the same size and most of that smooth ride feeling is due to the back tire so even if you can't get the 28 to fit on the front.......

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    but there's no law front and rear tires need to be the same size and most of that smooth ride feeling is due to the back tire so even if you can't get the 28 to fit on the front.......
    Yup, no reason not to run different size. Continental even sells a tire set with different size front/rear. continental bicycle Set Grand Prix Attack & Force It's a 23 front 25 rear. That's the only size they come in though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    I remember a recent post on velownews TechFAQ that Lennard Zinn addressed that was very similar but with Campagnolo brakes. He recommended eeBrakes as an alternative to the design that allows for more vertical clearance (potentially if it's the same situation). Might want to check with your LBS and see if they can get some dimensions and check the clearance to see if they would work.

Here's a link to the article. Maybe it can help.

Technical FAQ: Brake Dragging on the tire | VeloNews.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast