Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    No, thankfully. I was going like 20 on a flat straight well paved road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of these (paris roubaix) a few weeks ago, since you can pick them up cheap all of a sudden, but there's enough bad reviews regarding random self destruction and flatting problems that I held off. Everyone seems to love how they ride though.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/c...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'll look forward to see how you compare the Compass tires as they're looking like where I'll head next.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    Good to hear!
    You play around a lot with different wheel and tire combos, do you have any theories as to why it may have blown off?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Hey all, OP here. I ran Conti GP 4000 all-seasons on our course today. Because I was racing my cross bike, and I had only a 46-tooth big ring, I got spit out the back almost from the get go. Made for a tough ride, but running the tires, a 28mm at 90 pounds worked well. The gravel was a little muddy as we had wind, rain, and a bit of snow. Lots of wind in our face on the gravel/dirt/mud section. It was tough. I wasn't fast, but such is life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Sorry, posted a follow-up to the follow-up, but can't delete the dang thing.
    Last edited by bleckb; 04-21-2017 at 05:58 PM.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    Try the Soma Vitesse. Ive been using them for a while and they seem to work very well. Made by Panaracer, same as Compass, GB, JB and a bunch of other better known names. I often wonder if the real difference is just the name. Anyway, supple walls, light tread etc...... the whole bit.

Short review here Soma Feed: Soma Vitesse Tire Review from Velo De Route of France note the last paragraph.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    If there is such a thing as installing tires being an "acquired skill", the Challenge open tubular are a prime example of this. In addition to being tight to begin with they are also flat when brand new as the tire has not gotten its form yet. The first few times I mounted them I followed the procedure shown on the Challenge site which let me mount the tires but took a long time and a lot of effort. Eventually I came up with my own variation which I use now at considerably less time and effort.
    I first mount the tire having one bead into the well, then install the tube, then slightly inflate the tube to give it shape, then install the other bead into the well, then inflate the tube a bit more, then pinch the tire from both sides and try to lift it from the rim to make sure the tube is not pinched, then inflate the tire to 75% of the final inflation pressure, then check to make sure the beads are locked uniformly into the rim (follow the guide line on the tire sidewall), then inflate to final pressure, then deflate completely and finally inflate back to the desired pressure. The final step is to smooth out any creasing or folding that may have happened to the tube because of the initial flattened form of the tire. Use talcum powder very liberally.
    What I do with really hard to mount tires is mount them on a spare rim with a cheap tube that I don't care about wasting and put in 120ish PSI a few days before I want to actually mount them to ride on.
    That way the first mount that really matters is more like subsequent mounts not the first one which is the hardest and most error prone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    So I got my Strada Bianca's during the week and installed them tonight. Although I've mounted Challenge open tubulars before (Chicanes and Baby Limus) the Strada's were a right biatch to get on. Got the front on after a struggle and pumped up, struggled like crazy with the rear (both Pacenti SL25 rims with tubeless tape) and as best I could tell after checking very carefully, got them pumped up. After about 5 minutes it blew off the rim.
    I really couldn't say if it was on 100%, but have never had an issue before, but not willing to risk it out on the road. Shame, they looked really very nice.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    What I do with really hard to mount tires is mount them on a spare rim with a cheap tube that I don't care about wasting and put in 120ish PSI a few days before I want to actually mount them to ride on.
    That way the first mount that really matters is more like subsequent mounts not the first one which is the hardest and most error prone.
    Yes, I do the same thing but not on a different rim. Then immediately deflate it completely and inflate it back to high pressure in stages checking for pinched tube and proper bead locking along the way. Then keep it a higher pressure for a few days before using it on the road.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    So I got my Strada Bianca's during the week and installed them tonight. Although I've mounted Challenge open tubulars before (Chicanes and Baby Limus) the Strada's were a right biatch to get on. Got the front on after a struggle and pumped up, struggled like crazy with the rear (both Pacenti SL25 rims with tubeless tape) and as best I could tell after checking very carefully, got them pumped up. After about 5 minutes it blew off the rim.
    I really couldn't say if it was on 100%, but have never had an issue before, but not willing to risk it out on the road. Shame, they looked really very nice.
    Did you deflate-inflate as I described? Because of the flat shape of the tire, the tube often twists and folds during the installation. The twist then cuts the air to some parts of the tube and allows more air in others which causes the latex to lift the tire and blow out/

The deflation-inflation cycle helps the talcumed tube to straighten inside the tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    Did you deflate-inflate as I described? Because of the flat shape of the tire, the tube often twists and folds during the installation. The twist then cuts the air to some parts of the tube and allows more air in others which causes the latex to lift the tire and blow out/

The deflation-inflation cycle helps the talcumed tube to straighten inside the tire.
    I was using regular butyl tubes, but did an inflate/ deflate cycle as well as go around the whole wheel pinching the flat shape of the tyre into it's rounded shape and trying to make sure nothing was caught under the bead.
    I'm happy to admit that I possibly caused the issue and may never have it again, but since that bike can sometimes see speeds of 75-100kph, it's not a gamble that I'm willing to take. Not to mention that although the tyre would stretch a little, roadside repair of flats looked like it would have been a nightmare at best.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    I was using regular butyl tubes, but did an inflate/ deflate cycle as well as go around the whole wheel pinching the flat shape of the tyre into it's rounded shape and trying to make sure nothing was caught under the bead.
    I'm happy to admit that I possibly caused the issue and may never have it again, but since that bike can sometimes see speeds of 75-100kph, it's not a gamble that I'm willing to take. Not to mention that although the tyre would stretch a little, roadside repair of flats looked like it would have been a nightmare at best.
    I cant say I blame you. At those speeds you need to have absolute confidence on your equipment and a clear mind.
    Incidentally, they do stretch a lot after a few hundred miles and they also develop into a regular tire shape so fixing a flat is really easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12