RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Tire hop (Fulcrum Racing 7 and Vittoria Rubino Pro)

My Rocky Mountain Solo CR7 came with Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels and Vittoria Rubino Pro). When I initially put it together, I noticed that the wheels were true, but the front tire was not. I called support and they sent a replacement tire. When I mounted it, the same thing happened. There is one section on the front wheel where the tire appears to sit deeper! than elsewhere. When I mark this section, remove the tube and the tire, and inspect everything, I don't notice anything unusual. When I spin wheel without a tire, it is perfectly true - even on the inside where the tape is. However, when I put it back together, the same "hop" is present again, albeit at a different section of the wheel. I tried to only partially inflate the tire and wiggle it "into place", but this does not make a difference. It is almost like the tire is too small for the bead to sit in the right place all around the wheel, so it gets pulled in. When I ride it, the hop is so bad that I fear for my life at higher speeds. Has anybody had this problem? What should I do? Different brand tire? Different set of wheels? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdonner View Post
    My Rocky Mountain Solo CR7 came with Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels and Vittoria Rubino Pro). When I initially put it together, I noticed that the wheels were true, but the front tire was not. I called support and they sent a replacement tire. When I mounted it, the same thing happened. There is one section on the front wheel where the tire appears to sit deeper! than elsewhere. When I mark this section, remove the tube and the tire, and inspect everything, I don't notice anything unusual. When I spin wheel without a tire, it is perfectly true - even on the inside where the tape is. However, when I put it back together, the same "hop" is present again, albeit at a different section of the wheel. I tried to only partially inflate the tire and wiggle it "into place", but this does not make a difference. It is almost like the tire is too small for the bead to sit in the right place all around the wheel, so it gets pulled in. When I ride it, the hop is so bad that I fear for my life at higher speeds. Has anybody had this problem? What should I do? Different brand tire? Different set of wheels? Thanks.
    I believe it's just that the tire bead isn't seated at that point. I had this issue and someone told me to over-inflate the tire, temporarily, to have the bead seat then deflate to your setting. You can also attempt to work the tire bead in by pressing up at that location as it's being inflated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cdonner View Post
    When I initially put it together, I noticed that the wheels were true, but the front tire was not. I called support and they sent a replacement tire. When I mounted it, the same thing happened. There is one section on the front wheel where the tire appears to sit deeper! than elsewhere. When I mark this section, remove the tube and the tire, and inspect everything, I don't notice anything unusual. When I spin wheel without a tire, it is perfectly true - even on the inside where the tape is. However, when I put it back together, the same "hop" is present again, albeit at a different section of the wheel. I tried to only partially inflate the tire and wiggle it "into place", but this does not make a difference. It is almost like the tire is too small for the bead to sit in the right place all around the wheel, so it gets pulled in. When I ride it, the hop is so bad that I fear for my life at higher speeds. Has anybody had this problem? What should I do? Different brand tire? Different set of wheels? Thanks.
    You need to talc, soap, or otherwise make the tire bead slippery so that when you pump it to pressure the bead will snap into place. The tire is not seating properly in the rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Overinflating did it!

Thanks for this tip. I sort of figured this out myself, but I just had not inflated it enough. Once I kept pumping, the bead eventually snapped into place, as Kerry suggested, and the tire sits perfectly now.