Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Is This Tire Safe anymore? Tiny Little Slice

Is This Tire Safe anymore? Tiny Little Slice-img_1435.jpgIs This Tire Safe anymore? Tiny Little Slice-img_1436.jpgIs This Tire Safe anymore? Tiny Little Slice-img_1437.jpg

I'm having a rough day and was wondering if my Tire is still safe to ride on. It's fairly new, few hundred KM's. Its a continental All Season Folding. I got the flat today on the first ride of spring. What makes things worse is I got stranded because my tube fell apart. The third pic is a piece of the valve of the continental tube. I tried to pump the tire after I put in the new tube and it wouldn't go. I took the pump out and the valve came apart. Also a continental.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is This Tire Safe anymore? Tiny Little Slice-4383335176_34c21bf712_z.jpg

The cause of my Conti tire failure was a mystery. Smooth road, no apparent glass or anything else, and it just assploded.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Glue a piece of Tyvek to the inside of the tire and go. It will be fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Great advice, works everytime!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    That doesn't look like an issue to me. If you pinch the tire and see a small piece of glass or debris in the cut, then it is easy to remove it while the tire is off the rim.
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
    I'm having a rough day and was wondering if my Tire is still safe to ride on. It's fairly new, few hundred KM's. Its a continental All Season Folding. I got the flat today on the first ride of spring. What makes things worse is I got stranded because my tube fell apart. The third pic is a piece of the valve of the continental tube. I tried to pump the tire after I put in the new tube and it wouldn't go. I took the pump out and the valve came apart. Also a continental.
    Bulge test: if you pump the tire and there is no bulge then you have no issues. If there is a bulge then you can boot the tire as suggested (I fold the Tyvek to give me 4 layers). If there is a hole in the casing you can also put a tube patch on the inside (tube patch then glue the Tyvek over it). Even with a slight bulge you will only get faster wear at that point but will not have a safety issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks. I'll try the tyvek out. Where can I get some for cheap. Also what type of glue works best.

Thanks again, I was just worried that cut went right through but just made a tiny hole on the other side. Doesn't look bad but my lack of knowledge on this made me not sure.

RoadBikeReview Member

Re: Is This Tire Safe anymore? Tiny Little Slice

Fedex envelope for a cheap tire boot.
    People sleep peaceably at night because rough men and woman stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Oregon Bike MS 2013 Team Matfam

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1435.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	278095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1436.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	278096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1437.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	278097

I wouldn't bother gluing anything, that cut is tiny just check that there is no glass or anything in the tire put a new tube in and ride your bike.

As for the tube valve continental tubes have removable valve cores it looks like it wasn't done up tight enough. screw it back in and then look for the 2 flat sections, they are wrench flats get a small spanner or some pliers and gently tighten the core don't over do it just give it a 16th of a turn after its finger tight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    I wouldn't think twice as long as there is no bulge at full pressure. You can also glue a tube patch inside the tire .
    On that I always carry an extra tube and a patch kit, the kit I use first if I can find the hole as it takes seconds to put the patch on. I also cycle my tubes, if I swap out the tube when I get a flat I keep the old one then fix it and use it as my spare.

On super long unsupported rides I bring an extra tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Gorilla tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I can't see anything wrong with that tire. I would just check if there is anything in the hole, if not, just install the tyre

.je
    Success find: 0 items!
    I had to read the comments to find any hole or puncture. I would never give that a second consideration, assuming I'd noticed it in the first place. That tire is still in good condition.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4383335176_34c21bf712_z.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	278098

The cause of my Conti tire failure was a mystery. Smooth road, no apparent glass or anything else, and it just assploded.
    I had that happen to a Vittoria open corsa CX. Same thing I was just 2 blocks from my house when it happened. Totally perfect road. Just paved actually.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Is This Tire Safe anymore? Tiny Little Slice-img_1442.jpgIs This Tire Safe anymore? Tiny Little Slice-img_1443.jpg

Haven't got any Tyvek yet so I wanted to take a look and stuck a tube in and pumped it up to 110.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Welcome to the world of fragile Continental sidewalls. However, your slice looks like nothing...I think you lucked out.

Pump air into the tire, as you pump watch the area with the slice, keep going even pass your normal PSI limit, to at least the max sidewall rated PSI. As you pump make sure there is no bulge forming, once you get to 125 psi and you don't see anything then feel the area to make sure you don't feel a slight bump, if not you're good to ride on it. Do not keep pumping though if you see a bulge forming or you could blow out the sidewall entirely. If you see and or feel a bulge then you can support the tire with a tire boot patch from inside.

I never cared much for Continental tubes, or their road tires (but they do have a new tire that has me interested). Conti tubes use presta valves that I think are not that great. I've noticed 3 different quality level of presta valves, real bad ones, so so ones, and good ones, Conti seem to be so so. Specialized tubes seem to use good ones, I've never had an issue with their Turbo tube presta valves. I'm sure there are other good presta valves on other tubes manufactures. And perhaps Conti Supersonics may use better valves since they are pro level racing tubes.

BUT, you may also be putting too much stress on the valve from using your mini pump. Tubes use to put a reinforcement washer on the inside of the tube where the valve enters, all companies have eliminated that practice, Specialize has a slightly thicker area around the presta valve. Regardless, due to the action of tube companies eliminating the reinforcement pump companies are beginning to respond by offering pumps with hoses, the hose prevents you from putting stress on the valve as long as you don't make the hose pull on the valve. For the money Topeak make the best pumps with hoses, the RaceRocket series are great mini pumps in particular the HPX, the HPX is a bit longer then the other Race Rockets but that makes it easier to get to higher PSI levels then shorter pumps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That tire's perfectly fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Welcome to the world of fragile Continental sidewalls. However, your slice looks like nothing...I think you lucked out.
    umm...the hole/slice isn't in the SIDEWALL it's in the contact patch area. Give the "Continental sidewalls are horrible" song and dance a rest.

wheelbuilder
    In regards to your third picture, that's just the valve stem that loosened up and fell out. You can just screw it back in. If you look closely you will see to flats above the crown nut that you loosen to add air. Use pliers on those flats and tighten in back into the tube and you will be fine so long as there's nothing else wrong with it.

PS - I have far cuts that are far worse than that. I got all the way home to find my tube peeking out of a cut. Luckily it didn't burst. I used a tube patch on the inside of the tire and inspect regularly. A silver Sharpie helps me find it easily to see if it gets worse.

wheelbuilder

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Agree with previous posters no big deal, just make sure any offending objects are removed. I never heard of Tyvak before but I wil have to try it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    honestly, cant see anything wrong with the OP's tire in the first post.
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabondcyclist View Post
    umm...the hole/slice isn't in the SIDEWALL it's in the contact patch area. Give the "Continental sidewalls are horrible" song and dance a rest.
    Ok, my monitor doesn't even show the cut on the tread, I saw what looked like to be a very thin line on the sidewall near his thumb, that's what I thought he was talking about.

But regardless, most Continental road tires have paper thin sidewalls that are subject to damage more so then most other road tires. Although they have a new road tire that has addressed that issue called the Grand Prix GT.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    No, you saw what you wanted to see. You twisted the evidence to meet your pre-determined conclusion.

Give your "Continental tires are dangerous" song and dance a rest for just one thread and maybe you'll have some credibility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabondcyclist View Post
    No, you saw what you wanted to see. You twisted the evidence to meet your pre-determined conclusion.

Give your "Continental tires are dangerous" song and dance a rest for just one thread and maybe you'll have some credibility.
    No twisting at all, I've read other forum members from this and other forums who had similar sidewall problems, not to mention a poster on the first page of this very same post that somehow cut the tire in two.

You want to talk about twisting, you go on to add words to what I said, I said they were fragile, no where did I say they were dangerous. Maybe if you would stop reading into things that aren't there you would have some credibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast