RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

Tire Size..700x23 or 700x20???

It is time for me to replace the tires on my Race Bike. I have Zipps 404's and usually run a Micilen Pro Tire. I am 5-11 and usually weigh in the 180-185lb range. (right now 190lbs) This bike is used for Races and Aggressive Group Rides (AA) I am wondering is using a 700x20 a better option? Thanks for your input. I am a converted Mtb'r and am somewhat cluelss to best options.

Or should I consider a 700x25?????????

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did you think you'd get a different set of answers here in the wheels forum than over in the general wrenching board?

To reiterate what was said there: the consensus among experienced roadies here will undoubtedly be that you, at 190 pounds, would be best served by 25mm tires. 20's would be WAY small. You'd have to run them at very high pressures to prevent pinch flats, which would make for decreased comfort and much less secure cornering (which would of course make you slower in races). Even 23mm tires are arguably smaller than ideal for you.

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but in the real world where most of us ride most of the time (i.e., on irregular pavement surfaces), excessively narrow tires have no rolling-resistance advantage. Any theoretical advantage is offset by the bouncing, skittering and discomfort. As others mentioned, a smooth board track is another matter, but that's not where most of us ride.

Narrower tires do have a slight aero advantage, but it's more than offset by the other factors.

My recommendation: 25's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    I apreciate your reply. I might try a 25 rear tire and a 23 front...in your opnion, would that make any sense..or should I just go to a full set of 25's??

I though re-posting here would supply me with more precise feedback.

RoadBikeReview Member

differential sizes

Quote Originally Posted by TS2213
    I apreciate your reply. I might try a 25 rear tire and a 23 front...in your opnion, would that make any sense..or should I just go to a full set of 25's??

I though re-posting here would supply me with more precise feedback.
    Some people run 23 front and 25 back. Makes some sense, with the weight distribution, and you preserve a little of the aero advantage having the narrower tire up front.

And to the extent your problem is that bigger tires just "look fat" to you (and I'm not dissing that -- style influences many of our choices in this sport), the skinny tire in front is nice since you look at it a lot more of the time ;-)

Some people think it looks funny to have different-sized tires, but IME you get used to it. I do it on my commuter bike, which sometimes carries moderately large loads on a rear rack. I have noticed no adverse effect on handling.

Banned forever.....or not
    For fast group rides, you'll do fine with 23's all around. If you want to "feel" faster, you could try a 20 in front, but, at your weight, never put a 20 in back, unless you are doing a ITT.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Shirtcocker
    I weigh about 200 and prefer 25s, but also ride 23s when the price is right. Either one gets pumped to near max pressure.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Definitely not 20s... lean towards 25.

Game on, b*tches!
    I am approx the same size and weight. I run 25's on my training wheels and 23's on my race wheels. If the race is on a crappy surface, I'll ride the 25's.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

eRacer
    I am 6' and 182#.
    I run 23's.
    I like the 'look' and 'feel' of the 23's.
    I personally wouldn't run 20's Front or Rear.
    Just personal preference FWIW!
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!