RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Tire size for endurance ride

My Fuji Altamira and I will be taking on a 300k ride later this month (Feb 22nd). I have been riding, and very happy with the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tire. I will need to replace the rear prior to this event and I am thinking of going to the 25mm version. I con't see a problem mixing a 23mm front and 25mm rear. I read that the 25mm tires can be more comfortable?

A wheelist
    You left out probably the most important piece of information - your weight.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr645 View Post
    My Fuji Altamira and I will be taking on a 300k ride later this month (Feb 22nd). I have been riding, and very happy with the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tire. I will need to replace the rear prior to this event and I am thinking of going to the 25mm version. I con't see a problem mixing a 23mm front and 25mm rear. I read that the 25mm tires can be more comfortable?
    Regardless of weight, 25mm means you can run lower pressures relative to what you're running on 23

You're fine mixing... because Continental offers the GP Attack/Force package for racers (as an example), 22mm up front & 24mm in the rear.

I would also spend the money on 25mm up front also.... the extra cushioning of the lower pressure would help with reducing the vibrations that go into your arms.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks./ FYI I am 190 lbs and will be riding in South Florida, very flat, but windy conditions. So far I have ridden about 2800 miles in the last year, my first year riding.

I used up the Hutchinson Nitro tires and this set of Michelin P4E tires are the ones I replaced the Nitros with. Never had a flat or an out of true wheel, so I would say road conditions are generally very good here.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Thanks./ FYI I am 190 lbs and will be riding in South Florida, very flat, but windy conditions. So far I have ridden about 2800 miles in the last year, my first year riding.

I used up the Hutchinson Nitro tires and this set of Michelin P4E tires are the ones I replaced the Nitros with. Never had a flat or an out of true wheel, so I would say road conditions are generally very good here.
    since I'm a similar weight....

with Continental Grand Prix 4-seasons (25mm), I usually pump to 95 psi rear and 90 psi front with no issues of pinch-flats.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    If they fit, you might try 28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons. I put them on my Synapse and they are very nice riding. Makes it feel almost as smooth as my Domane with 25s except for big bumps. I weigh 185 for comparison.
    Nothing succeeds like excess

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    since I'm a similar weight....

with Continental Grand Prix 4-seasons (25mm), I usually pump to 95 psi rear and 90 psi front with no issues of pinch-flats.
    Yeah, 90 front and 95 rear is usually about right. I'm a bit lighter but those numbers worked for me when I was in Florida about 3 years ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    You mean not everyone rides with a 25mm up front for the comfort???? Unless the bike is a rental or the tires are free, I would never put a 23 mm on my bike. I'm too much of a pu$$y when it comes to road buzz on long rides.

Actually, even if they were free, I'd still pay to run good 25 mm tires (Vittoria open Corsa 25 and Open Pave 25 for winter)
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    You mean not everyone rides with a 25mm up front for the comfort???? Unless the bike is a rental or the tires are free, I would never put a 23 mm on my bike. I'm too much of a pu$$y when it comes to road buzz on long rides.
    Actually, even if they were free, I'd still pay to run good 25 mm tires (Vittoria open Corsa 25 and Open Pave 25 for winter)
    I had some free 23's (three of them) and I stuffed 'em on a bike I sold and took its Vittoria open Corsa 25s for my new bike. It was a great way to get rid of the 23s.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Around here, South Florida, no one runs 25mm tires. I may have to have a local shop order a 25mm for me. But they will have 20 different 23mm tires for road bikes on the shelf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I know 23mm tires suck, and I want to do my part to save the Earth. So, I'll take all the free, new 23mm tires anyone wants to dump. I'll pay the shipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Around here, South Florida, no one runs 25mm tires. I may have to have a local shop order a 25mm for me. But they will have 20 different 23mm tires for road bikes on the shelf
    You must have some smooth roads in FL
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

sooni
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    You must have some smooth roads in FL
    Can anyone confirm 28mm tires on a 2011 Altamira?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sooni View Post
    Can anyone confirm 28mm tires on a 2011 Altamira?
    I run 25mm tires and I don't think 28mm would fit. Schwalbe One 25mm fit fine in the front, but rub the brakes going on and off in the rear. Michelin Pro 4 25mm are slightly larger, the rare very thin on clearance and won't fit on if inflated. Have to put the wheel on flat and inflate one installed. Frame clearance in the rear is very little for the 25mm

sooni
    Jul 2009
    I run 25mm tires and I don't think 28mm would fit. Schwalbe One 25mm fit fine in the front, but rub the brakes going on and off in the rear. Michelin Pro 4 25mm are slightly larger, the rare very thin on clearance and won't fit on if inflated. Have to put the wheel on flat and inflate one installed. Frame clearance in the rear is very little for the 25mm
    Thanks for the reply. When you say frame clearance, do you mean between the tyre and the seat tube?

I am not concerned about the calipers, as I am running 28mm 4000s contis with my ultegra 6700. I have to deflate the tire to put them on, but I don't see how that matters. I am worried about rubbing against the frame itself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the reply. When you say frame clearance, do you mean between the tyre and the seat tube?

I am not concerned about the calipers, as I am running 28mm 4000s contis with my ultegra 6700. I have to deflate the tire to put them on, but I don't see how that matters. I am worried about rubbing against the frame itself.
    How is the clearance with the 25s? If it's already 3mm or less on each side, no-can-do on 28s. Otherwise, it should fly.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
    Yeah, 90 front and 95 rear is usually about right. I'm a bit lighter but those numbers worked for me when I was in Florida about 3 years ago.
    I am always perplexed by how close people keep the front and rear pressures to each other. You are either overinflated in front or underinflated in back.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Rear, The sides are clear, plenty of room. The top of the tire with my Schwalbe One 25mm is 1/4 inch from the frame, the part where the brake caliper bolts to the frame. If the tire was taller it could be a problem. The front has about 1/3 inch in height and again no problems on the sides.

sooni
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    How is the clearance with the 25s? If it's already 3mm or less on each side, no-can-do on 28s. Otherwise, it should fly.
    Not sure what you mean. Im using 28mms on a different frame. I don't own the Fuji yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not sure what you mean. Im using 28mms on a different frame. I don't own the Fuji yet.
    Ooops, brain fart! Went back and re-read your post and you did say you're using 28s. For some reason, I was thinking you are running 25s.

-- Warren Buffett