RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

Tire size question

I just picked up a 2014 Cannondale SS Evo Black Inc and it came with Enve SES 3.4 and Schwalbe Utremo Light Tubular 22mm tires. When it's time to upgrade tires, I've read 23mm is the optimal size for these wheels. What's a good tire and do I need to stay with tubular tires? Thank you.

Tire size question-img_1846_zpsobvgj4rl.jpg

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roubaix_mover View Post
    do I need to stay with tubular tires?
    If your rims are tubular, yes you must use tubular tires.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Ok thanks. This is my first experience with tubular wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    if this is your only wheelset, and you've never dealth with tubular wheels, then you'll want to start looking for a set of clinchers soon

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    if this is your only wheelset, and you've never dealth with tubular wheels, then you'll want to start looking for a set of clinchers soon
    Agreed. The normal every day rider, especially who's not skilled at gluing on tubulars, will have no benefit over clinchers. And likely a whole lot of problems.

I'd sell those Enve's and buy a clincher wheelset.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I have a Spec Roubaix with a set of Mavic Ksyrium SR clinchers and GP4000s. I always wanted to try Enve and got a pretty good deal on this bike that has very low mileage.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I always wanted to try Enve and got a pretty good deal on this bike that has very low mileage.
    Nothing wrong with that.
    But what are your plans if you get a tubular flat while riding?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Nothing wrong with that.
    But what are your plans if you get a tubular flat while riding?
    That's a good point. I'll have to think about it. Everyone I ride with are on clinchers.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a good point. I'll have to think about it. Everyone I ride with are on clinchers.
    Even more reason not to ride tubular. If you get a flat, are your friends gonna wait for you to glue on a new one, and are you going to care a spare tubular?

a real member's member
    if you get good at it, you might just love tubulars. some ride only tubulars, because they feel the ride quality is superior to clinchers, and they're more safe when flatting at speed.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    You don't have to glue on a tire if you flat on a ride. But...all the other things people have posted about tubulars are true. If you've never had them and don't know how they work (pretty obvious you don't from your posts) you made a poor decision (or got taken advantage of by the seller) buying them.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Russian Troll Farmer
    Even more reason not to ride tubular. If you get a flat, are your friends gonna wait for you to glue on a new one, and are you going to care a spare tubular?
    Those of us who actually ride tubulars always carry a pre-glued spare. Oh, and I can replace a tubular in half the time that it would take you to change a tube......

Any more fallacies you'd like to share with us???
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Those of us who actually ride tubulars always carry a pre-glued spare. Oh, and I can replace a tubular in half the time that it would take you to change a tube......

Any more fallacies you'd like to share with us???
    A first-time tubular rider w/ a bunch of riding buddies that don't ride tubulars...he's gonna be sitting on the side of the road for quite some time.

Unless you're riding w/ him.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Probably true. The OP may want to read up on how to change a tubular on the road. Back when I rode them, I would always prestretch the spare on a clincher rim as they can be really hard to get on right out of the box. He will want to learn how to patch them too unless he has lots of $$$ to spare.

Russian Troll Farmer
    For a first-time tubular owner, I'd recommend a decent set of tires (I like challenge, but Vittoria and Continental Sprinters are also good), then put the correct amount of Orange Seal in each one. If Orange Seal can't prevent a puncture, then you've got a REAL problem. Also, be forewarned that most good tubulars have latex tubes, and you will need to inflate your tires every time you ride them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    are you going to care a spare tubular?
    Although we did have a poster years ago who said he patched tubulars at the side of the road, carrying a spare tubular is the only option other than having somebody waiting at home who is willing to come get you a few times per year.

And then there is the possibility that somebody told the OP "tubless" and he heard "tubular."

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Although we did have a poster years ago who said he patched tubulars at the side of the road, carrying a spare tubular is the only option other than having somebody waiting at home who is willing to come get you a few times per year.
    That brings back memories. Back in the 70's, when I was a poor-ish high school student, my Peugeot had one set of Conti Giros, and I had 1 used tire as a spare. On a long ride, I'd carry the spare, and a Velox kit. Once I actually had 2 flats on a ride, I was a long way from home, and, yes, I ended up having to repair a tubular on the side of the road. Took about 30 minutes.