RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Tire slit anything to worry about?

New to roadbiking so this q is pretty basic. I had a flat the other day and found a small gash in the sidewall. Is this anything i should worry about?

Thanks!

Online Wheel Builder
    Reinstall the tire and inflate up to pressure. If you see any sort of noticeable bulge then the tire is done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Re: Tire slit anything to worry about?

Reinstalled the tire and it looks okay to me. There isnt much of a bulge but the tear barely runs into the main tread. In your experience, would it cause any concerns? Theses are pretty new Michelin Pro4s. Would hate to junk them so soon but safety first.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire slit anything to worry about?-uploadfromtaptalk1375233886272.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    Reinstall the tire and inflate up to pressure. If you see any sort of noticeable bulge then the tire is done.
    Actually, the advice should be reinstall the tire and inflate up to pressure. If you see any sort of noticeable bulge then the tire might be saved with a boot. If it still bulges with a boot installed then at a minimum it will wear faster at that point. If the bulge is significant, then the tire is done.

I suspect that the cut is only skin deep and does not reach the casing. If that is true then there will be no bulge and no need to worry. If you do worry put some Shoe Goo in the slice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would boot it with glue and a tube patch and keep an eye on it. I'd also put it on the rear wheel as a safety measure too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Man, that looks 'borderline'. I guess I like Newnan3's advice the best. That sure would be in the back of my mind bombing down hills at 50 mph or heavy/tight cornering.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would simply run it as is. IMO, if there's no danger of the tube protruding booting does nothing. Attempting to glue the cut accomplishes nothing of consequence either.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

wyrd bi ful rd
    If you want a spare tyre, then you can always use this ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Tough to say what I'd do just from pictures and not feeling it but if I used it I'd definitely put it on the back not the front.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jayuuey View Post
    New to roadbiking so this q is pretty basic. I had a flat the other day and found a small gash in the sidewall. Is this anything i should worry about?

Thanks!
    is this front or rear wheel?

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Really? You're gonna bet a crash which may or may not involve your life over a 50 dollar tire?
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF View Post
    Really? You're gonna bet a crash which may or may not involve your life over a 50 dollar tire?
    I think you're scare mongering. With no real bulge at all, there's no "betting on a crash" from that tire failing. Tires get nicks and cuts all the time and yet somehow we all seem to live through it.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    So perhaps I am being a bit too cautious, but then again I had a sidewall blowout on a Pro 3 on a fast descent that could have ended it for me.

It was about 40 MPH and the rear blew out. I was lucky I was able to regain control and stop. Every time I see a Pro3/4 with a sidewall issue, it just brings back that memory.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Re: Tire slit anything to worry about?

I added 3 layers of tyvek bonded with shoe goo and another layer of shoe goo on the outside. The slit is now bonded. These are inflated to 110psi.

However, after reading your posts, I did go ahead and order a new tire. They are priced nicely on PBK right now too so it works out. It will take a week to get it so I'll ride this repaired tire conservatively for now.

Thanks everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire slit anything to worry about?-uploadfromtaptalk1375375253299.jpg   Tire slit anything to worry about?-uploadfromtaptalk1375375234712.jpg