Life Coach

Question Tires on the World Wide Web

Which site do you recommend for tires?
    2013 Felt Z85 ~ Mavic Kysrium Elite S

A wheelist
    Expand your question - manufacturers' sites, mailorder sites, information sites?
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

Fred the Clydesdale
    Which tires do you want to buy? I google the tires I want and then browse the various tire sellers for the best deal.
    Member of Team Collin, a group of ordinary moreons going to extraordinary levels of awesome in the fight against cancer.

Love conquers all. God is love. Jesus is love personified. Figure it out.

Life Coach
    For purchasing...taking into consideration: price, customer service, shipping cost, shipping time. Would like to get a set of the Conti GP4000's for the summer but don't want to spend the $75 per tire retail.
    2013 Felt Z85 ~ Mavic Kysrium Elite S

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully00 View Post
    For purchasing...taking into consideration: price, customer service, shipping cost, shipping time. Would like to get a set of the Conti GP4000's for the summer but don't want to spend the $75 per tire retail.
    That certainly helps. Try UK m/o sites like -

Ribble
    Wiggle
    PBK
    Chain Reaction.

That tire can be had for close to $30 when the sale is right. Their sales come & go.
    My faves - Vittoria OpenCorsa EvoCX (320tpi) 25mm were $33 last time I ordered from Ribble (December).

Also try BikeTiresDirect in the USA.
    Last edited by Mike T.; 03-19-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What Mike T says. Ribble had the best price/shipping on the last batch of tires I ordered. In my experience, shipping to the US via post can be variable, taking up to three weeks, so I don't order anything I'm in a hurry for.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    What Mike T says. Ribble had the best price/shipping on the last batch of tires I ordered. In my experience, shipping to the US via post can be variable, taking up to three weeks, so I don't order anything I'm in a hurry for.
    I've never considered shipping (to Canada) anything out of the ordinary from the UK as all my bike stuff comes via the mail and has for decades - USA or the UK. But then I'm never in a hurry as the stuff I get is for my stock. Expendables, like tires, cables, tubes, chains, cassettes etcetera, are just part of my stock.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully00 View Post
    Someone over in the Hot Deals forum, right now, is talking about a Wiggle deal on those tires & free shipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I have never stopped wondering how ProBikeKit and the other UK sellers make money selling tires to customers in the US. The Royal Postal Service is at least as and usually more expensive than USPS, which now charges $15.00 to ship a one-pound package with First Class International - the least expensive international shipping option that can take anywhere from 7 days to 6 weeks to reach a European address. I have no idea how PBK gets two GP4000s, a tire Performance Bike sells for $60 a piece, delivered to the US for about $70.00 - and usually in just a 1-2 weeks. It's just amazing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    I've never considered shipping (to Canada) anything out of the ordinary from the UK as all my bike stuff comes via the mail and has for decades - USA or the UK....
    Within the contiguous US, priority mail is usually 2-4 days. Getting stuff from the UK, they ship fast and it gets to the US port of entry fast, but things often get hung up at the US port of entry for indeterminate periods of time.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by SBH1973 View Post
    I have never stopped wondering how ProBikeKit and the other UK sellers make money selling tires to customers in the US. The Royal Postal Service is at least as and usually more expensive than USPS, which now charges $15.00 to ship a one-pound package with First Class International - the least expensive international shipping option that can take anywhere from 7 days to 6 weeks to reach a European address. I have no idea how PBK gets two GP4000s, a tire Performance Bike sells for $60 a piece, delivered to the US for about $70.00 - and usually in just a 1-2 weeks. It's just amazing.
    Brandon, it must be their scale of purchase. Those m/o companies over there are massive - for instance Chain Reaction in Northern Ireland is the area's largest employer with 500 workers. They're 50,000 sq ft of warehouse. They're the biggest customers of the Royal Mail & Parcel Force's largest export account in N. Ireland so maybe they have a bit of leverage over postal rates At least you now know where the goalposts are for BHS!

(all info from their site)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Tiremaniacs Webstore in the USA also has very good prices.