Unsafe at Any Speed
    Oct 2005

Too small spoke holes on Alex R400?

I have built wheels using Alexrims R400 and DT Compettition spokes with DT brass nipples.

The spoke holes seem a bit small or something : the nipples are unable to swivel sufficiently.

This means the spokes describe a slght curve near the rim as they branch off toward left and right sides.

This is of course mostly noticeable on NDS rear. Front wheel too, a little, and not on the DS rear.

Is this one of those things which only bother when you know about them? Or am I missing out a lot on lateral stiffness?

Are there other spokes which I should have used? 1.8mm with smaller nipples, or nipples with different shaped shoulders or something? Too late now of course, but for 'next time' And not that we have much choice out here either

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    The R400 rim has the holes drilled straight inline with the centerline of the rim without any side to side offset to them. It does not effect lateral stiffness.

Unsafe at Any Speed
    Oct 2005

Thanks..

Thank you for the reply. I suppose one could drill or file the holes further, but no.. rather not mess it up

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Many rims do not have offset drilling. IMO it is a good idea to bend the spoke slightly near the nipple if there is a curve at that point... else you have a bending stress added to the tensile stress of the spoke, which would make it more likely to fatigue at the threads.