Token Sprinter

Torn Tire - Causes?

So I was riding home from crit practice tonight and noticed that there was a bit of a hop in my wheel. I checked it when I got home and found this:

Looks like the rubber on the outside of the tire, and the first layer of the threads tore. I assume the tire is done, as it has quite a few miles on it anyway. Just wondering what would cause something like this and if there's any way to avoid it on my next set of tires.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorTC View Post
    So I was riding home from crit practice tonight and noticed that there was a bit of a hop in my wheel. I checked it when I got home and found this:

Looks like the rubber on the outside of the tire, and the first layer of the threads tore. I assume the tire is done, as it has quite a few miles on it anyway. Just wondering what would cause something like this and if there's any way to avoid it on my next set of tires.

Thanks!
    Not that clear but it looks like the tire got sliced (clean straight cut edge). Avoid this problem by not riding over glass or other sharp objects. Otherwise it is an occasional hazard of riding on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've never been a fan of the two-toned tires. It seems like the colored part is of a different compound than the black. It sort of appears the tear started along the seamof the two colors.

What brand tire was this?

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Newnan3 View Post
    I've never been a fan of the two-toned tires. It seems like the colored part is of a different compound than the black. It sort of appears the tear started along the seamof the two colors.

Looks like a Michelin Lithion.
    I agree with the comment about two tone tires.

Token Sprinter
    It's a Vittoria Rubino Pro. I'm definitely done with the two tone tires, especially since my bike no longer has anything red on it. I was just waiting for an excuse to replace these and it looks like I finally found it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

It's gotta be a Michelin Lithion and yeah, two-toned tires suck..

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

I don't like two tone tires either but in this context black on black would be the same. And color/different compounds wouldn't have anything to to with the treads which appear cut in the picture.