RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

Trouble Lacing White Industries T11

I'm building my first wheelset, Kinlin xr22t rims laced to White Industries T11 hubs, 24/28, radial/two two cross.

I am having a very hard time feeding outbound spokes through the the rear non drive side hub flange. This is due to the drive side flange being larger/higher. I cannot seem to run spokes outbound through this flange without bending/kinking them (I tried with some old spokes). Am I missing something here? Hard to believe that I am having a hard time with this considering how popular these hubs are.

The hubs have been built up once before (from a very reputable vendor) in case that matters.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by calebrichardson View Post
    I'm building my first wheelset, Kinlin xr22t rims laced to White Industries T11 hubs, 24/28, radial/two two cross.

I am having a very hard time feeding outbound spokes through the the rear non drive side hub flange. This is due to the drive side flange being larger/higher. I cannot seem to run spokes outbound through this flange without bending/kinking them (I tried with some old spokes). Am I missing something here? Hard to believe that I am having a hard time with this considering how popular these hubs are.

The hubs have been built up once before (from a very reputable vendor) in case that matters.
    You're not missing anything, it takes a bit of flexing on the spoke to get it to go. What I did was get the spoke started just barely in the hole and push down on the spoke at the middle of the hub (in order to get it at a straighter angle to the hole) and then push it through. I've done it with both round and bladed (cx-rays).
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    You're not missing anything, it takes a bit of flexing on the spoke to get it to go. What I did was get the spoke started just barely in the hole and push down on the spoke at the middle of the hub (in order to get it at a straighter angle to the hole) and then push it through. I've done it with both round and bladed (cx-rays).
    Thanks! With your advice and a bit of courage I got them in. The trick for me was like you said: "start just barely", then flex and push. By the 7th one it was pretty easy.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Thanks! With your advice and a bit of courage I got them in. The trick for me was like you said: "start just barely", then flex and push. By the 7th one it was pretty easy.
    Glad to help. I'm in the learning process just like you but I've done a few T11's.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    We build tons of wheels w/ WI hubs, that's the technique you use...'flex & push'. Definitely easier w/ SuperComps or Aerolites. That's really my only gripe w/ their hubs.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards