Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Did u have the tubeless version of the Happy Mediums? Mine setup easy in Iron Cross rims. Maybe the Arch MKs are too wide for em?

As for now I tried a Flintridge in rear and although they measured the same width as Happy Medium at 38mm, the casing was taller with side knobs 6mm further from rim and rubbed the front der arm so i had to take it off.

I then decided I'm going to switch to a slick like Bon Jon Pass and ended up with a Maxxis Re-Fuse 32c since I couldn't find a G-One in 35c or Bon Jon Pass in reg casing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Enoch 562, thanks for the images. helps really see what the tread looks like. 45s are much too big for my bike, Felt F65X.

zephziii, maybe with the HM 38 being so large I should look at 36mm in general just to make sure things fit?? I have never delved into tire size like this so I dont know what I am getting into. I have Pacenti SL25 rims, they have worked well so far with tubless set ups (only Bontranger CX0 so far).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    My Kendas were older non tubeless version...They were extremely pourous. I did get them to work. It just took some time.

THey do make the Riddler is 38's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thalo View Post
    Enoch 562, thanks for the images. helps really see what the tread looks like. 45s are much too big for my bike, Felt F65X.

zephziii, maybe with the HM 38 being so large I should look at 36mm in general just to make sure things fit?? I have never delved into tire size like this so I dont know what I am getting into. I have Pacenti SL25 rims, they have worked well so far with tubless set ups (only Bontranger CX0 so far).
    Yeah 35 or 36 is what I'm trying to shoot for...which is likely to grow to 38mm as per the two 35s i've tried so far. I don't think I could go with 38s as I would expect them to get larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch562 View Post
    My Kendas were older non tubeless version...They were extremely pourous. I did get them to work. It just took some time.

THey do make the Riddler is 38's.
    Ah yeah that's why. The tubeless casings are pretty much sealed up from the factory. With non tubeless casings that are porous I've found something like Orange Seal works a lot better to seal them up as it will apply a thin latex layer. One must spin the wheel a lot right after install to get the sealant spread all over, like ride around the hood for a while.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    WELL NOW...

I mounted up a Maxxis Re-Fuse 32c tubeless tire yesterday in the rear which replaced a Happy Medium 35c (Tubeless version). Still had a Happy Medium up front.

I did a 40 mile urban ride with a little test gravel mixed in, and even a tiny bit of singletrack.

Man the Re-Fuse felt so much faster than the Happy Medium. The casing, even though only 60tpi, was a lot more supple too. It also felt lighter which is odd cuz it's only a 50-60g difference. But in sprints the bike was a lot more responsive in acceleration and power output.

This tire is great and you know what? I'm buying another one to have a matching front and dedicating a wheelset to it. It's gonna be my fast rolling go anywhere as efficient as possible but also tubeless and kinda bulletproof wheel/tire combo.

I will say that having a fast Re-Fuse in back and a Happy Medium up front was a great combination. Speed in back, control up front.

I wish Maxxis had a 35c version for a lil more float and grip though.

In addition to the Re-Fuse I am gonna try out a Clement MSO 36.

My issue with the Happy Medium is that it made my new CX bike feel draggy compared to my HT MTB with bald XR1 and Race King up front.

I'm hoping the MSO will be a very fast tire with grip, I'm going to try it up front first and see how it rolls. If it is ideal I'll have a separate wheelset for it...even though I'm pretty good at changing tires.

CX'er
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    WELL NOW...

I mounted up a Maxxis Re-Fuse 32c tubeless tire yesterday in the rear which replaced a Happy Medium 35c (Tubeless version). Still had a Happy Medium up front.

I did a 40 mile urban ride with a little test gravel mixed in, and even a tiny bit of singletrack.

Man the Re-Fuse felt so much faster than the Happy Medium. The casing, even though only 60tpi, was a lot more supple too. It also felt lighter which is odd cuz it's only a 50-60g difference. But in sprints the bike was a lot more responsive in acceleration and power output.

This tire is great and you know what? I'm buying another one to have a matching front and dedicating a wheelset to it. It's gonna be my fast rolling go anywhere as efficient as possible but also tubeless and kinda bulletproof wheel/tire combo.

I will say that having a fast Re-Fuse in back and a Happy Medium up front was a great combination. Speed in back, control up front.

I wish Maxxis had a 35c version for a lil more float and grip though.

In addition to the Re-Fuse I am gonna try out a Clement MSO 36.

My issue with the Happy Medium is that it made my new CX bike feel draggy compared to my HT MTB with bald XR1 and Race King up front.

I'm hoping the MSO will be a very fast tire with grip, I'm going to try it up front first and see how it rolls. If it is ideal I'll have a separate wheelset for it...even though I'm pretty good at changing tires.

If you haven't tried many other tubeless tires, the maxxis refuse is a pretty slow tire. It's also not the best tire when the gravel gets loose as the rounded tire profile tends to sink more than a tire like the happy medium or something similar with a flatter profile. Having said that, the 32mm refuse is a great tire for mixed conditions and they're pretty much never going to flat outside of taking a bullet. I like them for 50/50 gravel/pavement rides and since I'm pretty much guaranteed that I won't have a flat if there's sealant in the tire. In 4 years of riding refuse tires, tubed and tubeless, only thin wires have made it through and I notice the flat the next day because the leak is slow and a tubeless tire will seal that without a problem. They're great training tire for the suburban environment where glass and car parts on the side of the road are plentiful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    If you like the Maxxis Refuse 32mm, you would *love* the Clement Strada USH 32mm. It's a much higher quality tire in just about every way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    That USH does look very good. I wasn't aware of it until now. I have a set of MSO 120tpi on the way...kinda liking Clement's thinking on tires.

idk I thought the Re-Fuse rolled pretty well, and the casing seems supple enough to absorb bumps easily. I was kinda not happy with my bike til I started rolling it in the back, it felt too slow before. Our gravel races are usually pretty hard packed unless dusty and chunky in a loose kinda way.

If MM is anything like last year, hard and fast, the Re-Fuse should be awesome.
    Last edited by zephxiii; 03-06-2017 at 12:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I've posted these in other threads, but for anyone interested, here are some Schwalbe G-One Speed 700x30 Tubeless Gravel Tire on my BMC RoadMachine.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskSGNHEB

And FWIW, I have used the Clement X'Plor USH (700x36) with tubes, the Clement Strada USH Tubeless (700x32), and the Clement X'Plor MSO Tubeless (on other bikes) - They are all fantastic - Tubeless setup was a breeze on all of them and the tires are really good - great ride - durable, and decent wearing. The USH's both and a center bead and are well suited to tarmac and gravel - the MSO is more of a gravel specific and probably not long lasting on tarmac.
    Last edited by Migen21; 03-06-2017 at 04:28 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    My wife had a nasty sidewall cut at DK200 last year on a X'Plor MSO Tubeless (36mm). Anyone have opinions on if the Maxxis 60tpi Rambler DC/SS/TR would fare better?
    Last edited by andy13; 03-08-2017 at 06:25 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by andy13 View Post
    My wife had a nasty sidewall cut at DK200 last year on a X'Plor MSO Tubeless (38mm). Anyone have opinions on if the Maxxis 60tpi Rambler DC/SS/TR would fare better?
    Doesn't everyone get nasty sidewall cuts at DK (regardless of tire choice!)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Well......that was her 4th DK200 and her first flat of any kind. We have had good luck with Schwalbe Marathon non-tubeless tires but running them tubeless, but I thought the Clement X'Plor MSO would be better in the gravel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by andy13 View Post
    Well......that was her 4th DK200 and her first flat of any kind. We have had good luck with Schwalbe Marathon non-tubeless tires but running them tubeless, but I thought the Clement X'Plor MSO would be better in the gravel.
    The Clement is a far more comfortable and higher performance tire than a Marathon. Marathon is designed specifically for durability at the cost of weight and ride quality.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Migen21; 03-07-2017 at 06:15 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Coulda just been a freak cut...i slashed the sidewall of a Ground Control at Ore 2 Shore last year on my mtb which was pretty odd. I had been rolling that tire for over a year before then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Yea, she said she bombed through a gulley with water covering all the rocks. She admitted she deserved to flat :-)
    Still wondering on the casings of the two tires and which would be more resistant to cuts. X'Plor MSO 36mm (tpi?) vs. Maxxis Rambler 38mm 60tpi with SS. TIA.

CX'er
    I believe the Ore 2 Shore race is known for slashing sidewalls because of the rocks and people trying to run lighter tires for the event.

If the 32mm refuse tires are slow (which they are) imagine how fast some of the other, nicer tires will feel. Don't get me wrong, I like the refuse and they have a place in tire options, but being fast and racey is not one of them. They are strong, flat resistant, and very overbuilt so you can ride without worrying about the tire flatting or getting cut. Many of my CX race tires will roll faster than the refuse, even with knobs, but CX race tires aren't the most flat resistant tires either and they tend to put speed above durability whereas the refuse is the other way around.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerector View Post
    I believe the Ore 2 Shore race is known for slashing sidewalls because of the rocks and people trying to run lighter tires for the event.

If the 32mm refuse tires are slow (which they are) imagine how fast some of the other, nicer tires will feel. Don't get me wrong, I like the refuse and they have a place in tire options, but being fast and racey is not one of them. They are strong, flat resistant, and very overbuilt so you can ride without worrying about the tire flatting or getting cut. Many of my CX race tires will roll faster than the refuse, even with knobs, but CX race tires aren't the most flat resistant tires either and they tend to put speed above durability whereas the refuse is the other way around.
    I can see what you mean by the slowness of the Re-Fuse.

Since my last posting I've ran the Re-Fuse rear and MSO front combo in two races. First race was peanut butter wet/muddy (but not sticky). Second race was less peanut butter and faster, yet in the rain. Before the first race I rode that course in dry dusty chunky conditions. Both tires handled all situations well.

The only thing I thought about Re-Fuse while in the wet conditions was "hey it's doing just fine back there" despite how you think a bald tire would do. I guess we can attribute some of that to the sandy nature of Michigan roads.

After those two I mounted the other Re-Fuse up on the OEM wheel (tubeless as well) and did some urban/gravel riding. Rolling them both front and back did make me think they were not the fastest.

Right before the third race I felt an urge of curiosity to mount up the other MSO in rear to replace the Re-Fuse. I had thought about the more squarish profile and supple casing and couldn't resist trying it out.

Having just rode Re-Fuses back to back on a couple of rides, I could feel a difference the very moment i started rolling the MSO front/back. They felt thin, good, supple, and seemed to roll easier.

They felt really fast during the 3rd gravel race and was shocked how fast they felt on pavement on a 40 mile roll the next day. I'm pretty sold on MSOs now.

I also got to do a quick spin on a set of 38mm G-Ones (tubeless) and those felt very fast too. I think the MSO's tread pattern will wear better in the rear though.

Unfortunately my rear MSO is quite the wiggly bastard. At least it's just lateral wiggle instead of a radial hop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12