Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010

Tubeless sealant spilling when airing up tires

Recently bout new road bike with tubeless wheels. However when i ride i always adjust my tire PsI where i need it.. however every time i pull my pump off of the presets valve after airing up the tire a small amount of sealant shoots out in a mist. It usually ends up on the brake track of the wheels which results in cleaning the brake track.. rear tire doesnít do that at all just the front. Any idea why?
    I check and valve stems are fully secured to wheel so i canít tell why it mists out sealant when i remove my pump head.
    Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself- William Faulkner

Road: 2011 Tarmac Comp
    MTB: 2011 Epic Comp 29er
    MTB SS : 2010 Rockhopper Expert
    Trainer : Trek 1000

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper006 View Post
    Recently bout new road bike with tubeless wheels. However when i ride i always adjust my tire PsI where i need it.. however every time i pull my pump off of the presets valve after airing up the tire a small amount of sealant shoots out in a mist.
    Before pumping your tires, put the valve stem at 12:00 and let it sit there a moment so all the sealant runs away. It should eliminate the spraying. Never pump your tires with the stem at 6:00.
    If you keep spraying sealant, it's going to eventually clog up your valve and you won't get air in or out.

rear tire doesnít do that at all just the front. Any idea why?
    Maybe more or too much sealant in the front.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010
    ahhh, i like the idea of letting the valve drain completely before airing. ive only aired tires probably 3 times so both of these scenarios are possible.

I will start letting my stems drain for a minute at 12 o clock then fill hook up air pump at around 9 o'clock. My bike is due for its 30day tune-up in the week or so so i'll mention it to the bike shop and have them check the sealant levels if im still getting sealant spray.
    Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself- William Faulkner

Road: 2011 Tarmac Comp
    MTB: 2011 Epic Comp 29er
    MTB SS : 2010 Rockhopper Expert
    Trainer : Trek 1000

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper006 View Post
    ahhh, i like the idea of letting the valve drain completely before airing. ive only aired tires probably 3 times so both of these scenarios are possible.

I will start letting my stems drain for a minute at 12 o clock then fill hook up air pump at around 9 o'clock. My bike is due for its 30day tune-up in the week or so so i'll mention it to the bike shop and have them check the sealant levels if im still getting sealant spray.
    It's also a good idea when storing your bike, make sure the valve stems are anywhere but 6:00. It'll help keep sealant from collecting and drying up on them.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    It's also a good idea when storing your bike, make sure the valve stems are anywhere but 6:00. It'll help keep sealant from collecting and drying up on them.
    I don't get this. Are you mixing up your 6 and 12 o'clock positions? At 6 o'clock (actually, anywhere between 4 and 8 o'clock) liquid sealant drains out of the valve. Getting sealant into the valve core will plug it up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    if you have a lot of sealant, this is gonna happen, regardless of stem position.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    if you have a lot of sealant, this is gonna happen, regardless of stem position.
    I think you're right. What about Milkit valves?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    I don't get this. Are you mixing up your 6 and 12 o'clock positions? At 6 o'clock (actually, anywhere between 4 and 8 o'clock) liquid sealant drains out of the valve. Getting sealant into the valve core will plug it up.
    At 6:00 if there's a lot of sealant it will spray out when you pull the hose off the valve. I always air up at 3 and 9 positions to allow it to drain and make sure it's not close to submerged in the event I went overboard filling it (not admitting that I've ever done that of course).
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Russian Troll Farmer
    Before pumping your tires, put the valve stem at 12:00 and let it sit there a moment so all the sealant runs away. It should eliminate the spraying. ....
    You're actually safer putting it at about 8:30; that way none of the sealant will go down the valve stem.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    No I mean 6. All the sealant inside the tire and rim will drip down and collect on the valve. Some will drip off, but some will stick to it. Do it repeatedly and it'll start to build up.
    Plus if you have too much sealant, it could fill up into the valve.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Before pumping your tires, put the valve stem at 12:00 and let it sit there a moment so all the sealant runs away.
    Or even easier, put a tube in there and be done with it. LOL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Whenever I add new sealant, I also clean the dried sealant out the valve stem and core. You have to pull the core anyway. Adding a few minutes of time to clear out the valve parts is not a big deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    The instructions that came with my Bontrager tubes with sealant in them said to inflate in the 4 or 8 o'clock position.