RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008

Question Tubeless setup on Shimano WH-7700 Dura-Ace wheelset

happy new year everyone!!!

Finally got around to trying to install my Christmas gift, a set of Hutchinson Intensive tubeless tires on a set of Shimano WH-7700 Dura Ace wheels. My gf got me the full kit: Stan's rim tape, Stan's universal 44mm valve stems, and tires. The wheels are circa '98/'99 and according to an old article on SheldonBrown's website, 18.5mm wide.

I watched the video(twice) and then started. The rim tape went on without too much of a problem but once I inserted the valve stems I knew I was in for problems. the stub (don't know what else to call it) on the end of the valve stem doesn't allow enough room for the tires to fit. hopefully the photo will show what I'm having a hard time explaining.

Tubeless setup on Shimano WH-7700 Dura-Ace wheelset-img_20120116_191046.jpg

I was able to squeeze the tire on one side of the valve stem and then push the valve up into the tire to get the other sidewall in place. When i pulled the valve stem back down and secured it with the nut, the stem pinches the tires and will not inflate.

Has anyone else had this problem or had any luck converting the WH-7700 wheels to tubeless? I really, really, don't want to drill or any other way significantly alter my wheels. they are old but they've held up well and still spin great. The mavic valve core is a better fit but is too short.

Thanks in advance for the help
    maurice

banned
    Aug 2011
    looks like you have the mountain stem and not the road stem. The road stem has a rectangle base and the mountain stem has a round base.

Images of Universal 44mm Tubeless Road Valve Stem (Pair)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    You may want to drill out the valve stem hole on the inner wall of the rim to 3/8".
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the link. I did see a pic of a square end valve but the description made it seem like it was for only necessary for rims with oversized valve holes. Oversize is definitely not my issue but I will check my packaging and confirm that they are for road rims.

notubes.com - Oversize 44mm valve stem

Drilling is not really an option. I'd rather stick with tubes that risk messing up my rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I recommend Fulcrum's stems instead. To my eyes they're made a bit better, and also have the rectangular plugs I think you need.

It's tough to tell from the picture but part of the rubber plug should sit down inside the hole in the rim. You could try shaving the plug to fit, but it wouldn't be my preferred option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    The round base is correct and what you need.
    Looks like normal clearance to me, when mounting the tyre, pull the valve half way back out, mount the tyre in full, then push the valve back through again and tighten the valve. By pulling the valve half way back out it will allow you some clearance to wedge the tyre down and around the valve. Am I missing the obvious and you've already done this trick?

You can also trim the side of base of the rubber back with some scissors to give yourself slightly more clearance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Crawf - What you describe is exactly what I did. Only problem is that when I use the threaded washer thingy to snug the valve stem in place, it pinches the tire between the stem plug and the rim and immediately starts to leak air.

the Fulcrum stems look promising. I could also use the mavic tubeless valves and get valve extenders but that seems like an expensive option and one I will not pursue unless I can not find another viable option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    That's odd, I'd trim the rubber back ever so slightly to give you clearance, I did this when I accidently purchased the 'MTB' valves instead of road valves.
    You may find that square based valves will have a tendency to turn if you go down that route.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I picked up a set of the Stan's 44mm road valves about a year ago and my base is rectangular and not round like what is shown in the first post. They must have gone to the round design to prevent the valve from rotating when it is being installed and tightened. I noticed recently at the LBS that the 44mm have a round base now.

Did you at least use a file to get rid of all the yellow tape that is left when you punched for the valve hole? Maybe that extra yellow tape is causing the valve not to seat properly?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawf View Post
    That's odd, I'd trim the rubber back ever so slightly to give you clearance, I did this when I accidently purchased the 'MTB' valves instead of road valves.
    You may find that square based valves will have a tendency to turn if you go down that route.
    The square-plugged Fulcrum stems are what comes on their tubeless road wheels. No issues turning or anything like that.

banned
    Aug 2011
    Stan's still sells the rectangle base and is what you need. That is what I use on my tubeless wheels, they work perfectly and never had an issue of twisting. Also, the stems have a removable core and make adding sealant a breeze and not messy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was putting new tires on today anyway so took some measurements while I had the tires off. The rectangular plug on the Fulcrum tubeless stems leaves 4mm of clearance to the rim on my wheels, which is probably about the minimum. Hope this helps.

Tubeless setup on Shimano WH-7700 Dura-Ace wheelset-uploadfromtaptalk1327192062782.jpg
    Last edited by ddimick; 01-21-2012 at 03:44 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

square works

Quote Originally Posted by ddimick View Post
    The square-plugged Fulcrum stems are what comes on their tubeless road wheels. No issues turning or anything like that.
    That's what I've fitted. No problems.