RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

Tubeless tire recommendation

Hi there.

I'm looking for a 700*25 (or effective 25 width) tire that is racey-ish but, actually has some durability/puncture resistance. I've ruled out the Vittoria and Schwalbe. I'm considering the Maxxis Padrone, or Hutchinson Fusion 5. Anything else I should look at? Or, does someone believe one of those would be better than the other? Thanks for any help!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use the IRC Roadlight tires which they say are for training and endurance riding, love them. Check out this page, IRC TIRE FORMULA PRO TUBELESS Their racing tires from what my mates have reported are so grippy, but wear is an issue hence me using the Roadlites. You can have light and fast or you can have durability. If you aren't racing then I recommend the IRC TIRE BICYCLE TIRE OFFICIAL SITE | ROAD TUBELESS | ROADLITE TUBELESS

changingleaf
    In my experience the Schwlabe one has better puncture resistance than the Padrone and Hutchinson Fusion 5. You may want to try the IRC or the Panaracer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance tires feel a lot better than the previous generation Fusion 3 - so far they are holding up on roads around here...

Haven't tried the Schwalbe Pro Ones yet...looking forward to also trying the Fusion 5 Galactik version when I wear out some more of the older tires I still have on various wheels...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    ^^

Don't get Fusion 5 Galactiks unless they're the new version with improved tire compound. I haven't seen the new ones available, but the old ones will last maybe 800mi before you start seeing the nylon cords on a rear tire.

Pro Ones are fairly light, but also puncture prone. They seal OK, but the lack of a butyl inner layer is really evident.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    ^^

Don't get Fusion 5 Galactiks unless they're the new version with improved tire compound. I haven't seen the new ones available, but the old ones will last maybe 800mi before you start seeing the nylon cords on a rear tire.

Pro Ones are fairly light, but also puncture prone. They seal OK, but the lack of a butyl inner layer is really evident.
    When/if I get to trying the F5 Galactik tires I will be getting the latest ones...

I have a few riding friends who have reported puncture issues with the Pro Ones as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Hey guys. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. The IRC tires have definitely caught my attention, the Formula pro tubeless are enticing. Would you be able to comment on the puncture/abrasion resistance between the light and the RBCC? From the general description, I don't think there'd be a difference but, I could be wrong.

Feedback on the IRC indicates their size is true to advertised, is that right? Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm on Hutchinson Fusion 5's now and like them a lot more than Schwalbe Pro One's ... the ride is a bit smoother and with the butyl rubber liner should seal up much better than the Pro One's ... they also have more outside rubber than the Schwalbe's.

I'm going to be sticking with these for a while as they appear to be a very good combination of rolling resistance, puncture resistance, sealing ability and price ... the weight is a bit heavier than Schwalbe Pro One's, but it's within an acceptable range and they are not exceedingly heavy.

I have run Schwalbe Pro One's for about 6 months and have found them to puncture fairly easy and don't seal up well, especially with glass. I've never "Not" made it home on them, but they won't seal up until 30 - 40 psi regardless of the size of the puncture. They are very light though and handle well, but also ride a bit rougher than I liked.
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woogie11 View Post
    Hey guys. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. The IRC tires have definitely caught my attention, the Formula pro tubeless are enticing. Would you be able to comment on the puncture/abrasion resistance between the light and the RBCC? From the general description, I don't think there'd be a difference but, I could be wrong.

Feedback on the IRC indicates their size is true to advertised, is that right? Thanks again.
    25mm Roadlites on 21mm rims shows maybe 2mm protruding each side. So spot on. THe other question, sorry can't help. There should be reviews somewhere.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I'll be installing the new IRC Formula Pro Light tubeless with file tread in the coming weeks. I'll measure them with calipers on my 19mm/28mm rims at 60/80/100/max PSI when that happens.

changingleaf
    I bought a pair of the Fusion 5 Galactiks about 1 year and a half ago and they wore out in 600 miles. The tread was actually pealing at that point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I've used Hutchinson Intensive tubeless tires. Not the lightest, but they ride well and last a long time. Not too expensive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Just weighed three tires in my queue.

IRC Formula Pro Light "file tread" 25mm - 269g actual (265g advertised)
    Panaracer Race A Evo3 25mm - 318g actual (330g advertised)
    Schwalbe Pro One 25mm - 263g actual (255g advertised)
    Last edited by ceugene; 5 Days Ago at 11:00 PM.