RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010

Tubular rim groove

I just got a tubular wheelset. The front has a groove in the center of the tire bed while the rear does not (see pics). These are my first tubular wheels. Seems like most pics I see have a smooth tire bed although I was able to find a few sites showing a groove. For example...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/...the-race_91109
    http://www.cxmagazine.com/new-produc...-carbon-wheels

These sites indicate this groove provides space for the seam on the tubular tire.

Is there any reason for this difference in front and rear or is there a problem with the wheelset. I would expect them to be the same because I thought rear and front rims are the same and it's just the hubs that are different.

Unrelatedly, there is a small depression on the edge of the rim in the carbon only, but it's filled in by resin (see image). Is this a problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tubular rim groove-img_2584_907x511.jpg   Tubular rim groove-img_2581_907x511.jpg   Tubular rim groove-img_2590_907x511.jpg   Tubular rim groove-img_2591_907x511.jpg  

No Crybabies

dunno

I've been doing tubulars for 30 years, and I've never seen a groove like that. I would not worry about it. Just check any instructions that came with the wheel.

My speculation is that the front tire can see higher side forces in turns, so maybe it's just a little extra measure to see that it is glued well. Just a guess, though.

Quote Originally Posted by schreejf
    I just got a tubular wheelset. The front has a groove in the center of the tire bed while the rear does not (see pics). These are my first tubular wheels. Seems like most pics I see have a smooth tire bed although I was able to find a few sites showing a groove. For example...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/...the-race_91109
    http://www.cxmagazine.com/new-produc...-carbon-wheels

These sites indicate this groove provides space for the seam on the tubular tire.

Is there any reason for this difference in front and rear or is there a problem with the wheelset. I would expect them to be the same because I thought rear and front rims are the same and it's just the hubs that are different.

Unrelatedly, there is a small depression on the edge of the rim in the carbon only, but it's filled in by resin (see image). Is this a problem?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Maybe you got a set of wheels that was the end of one mold and the beginning of another?

Lightweights have that groove in them like the wheel above, it seems like it would help seat the tire and make it easier to get it centered on the rim properly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    the groove in the middle i wouldnt have a problem with because the vast majority of the gluing strength comes from the sides of the tyre bed anyway

re the resin fill in the brake track i would be quite hesitant to ride that to be honest
    LANCE ARMSTRONG 2009 NEVADA CITY CHAMPION

'brifter' is a lame word.
    the groove...no problem. there are a few rims that have them. but...
    that resin? i'd send that rim back in a second. it's a carbon rim, not a resin rim. that said, it would probably hold up just fine. i'm just a stickler for crap like that.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    i like the groove. helps center the tire.

is the grooved rim wider?

are those Williams Cycling wheels?