RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003

tubular: Vittoria Pave Evo CG or Conti GP4000SR or Conti Competion

Need ur help. Just can't decide. I am a heavier rider. First tubulars. Want them just for racing so need speed, but ride to my races, so still need puncture protection. Plan to do mainly criteriums but also longer road races on them.

My concerns with the Pave's are they are puncture resistant, but how much slower are they than say Corsa Evo CX (which I won't buy due to not enough puncture protection and quickly wearing)..

I hear similar concerns with the Conti Competition's (puncture easier) but fast, vs the GP4000SR. So how much slower are they than the competitions?

I'm definatley going 1 of the 3. Which ones would you get.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I Just mounted a pair of Pave's (clicher though) and am really fond of them. The only thing is that I bought them because I ride a lot of cobbles (and sometimes shitty ones) and wanted a tire for good grip in the wet and puncture security... I haven't ridden them enough to give comment on their speed compared to other tires I've used before (amongst them were Conti's)

On some of the races I go and see (Flanders, Paris Roubaix ... not participating for the record I see some guys having Paves, but I've never seen them on a crit race ... I guess they're not the avarage racing tire

hope this helps

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I have tubular and clincher Pave's. I've never flatted on the tubulars, and just a few flats on the clinchers (after alot of miles on bad roads.), so in my experience they are pretty durable, and they have a great ride quality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    When I was on tubulars I ran Conti Competitions. The Conti Comps are excellent tires IMO, and I think your worries about them flatting may be somewhat unwarranted. I never flatted one, and of the guys I know firsthand that used them, they never flatted one either. I seem to recall many guys using them at Paris-Roubaix along with Pave CGs. I liked them because they were tough and worked in just about any kind of conditions well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Pave FTW