RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Tufo S3 Lite's (215g) vs Continental Competitions

I'm getting down to the final choice on my tubular tires. The wheels are Nimble Fly and the application is mostly group rides and some races. Flat protection is crucial, yet I want as light as possible and good rolling resistance. It should be noted that my group rides are like races so I need all the advantages I can get, still working on my engine, though :-)

I have heard that Tufo tires make noise, that is something that is uncool with me. Is this true?

Finally, sealent or no sealent, I CAN'T DECIDE. Conti seems to have the Vectran liner, which seems very cool to me. Tufo's would have the goop in them and that adds weight.

Thank you for your input!

A guy from Norway
    The competitions are probably a better tyre, but they're also 80% more expensive than the Tufos. My selves, I'm using the S3 lite on two sets and like them. I don't have a problem with the rolling resistance and I find them quite durable. The sound? Well, they can't be said to be quiet, and with White Industries hubs on both sets you can really hear me.

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG MN

I have heard that Tufo tires make noise, that is something that is uncool with me. Is this true?

Finally, sealent or no sealent, I CAN'T DECIDE. Conti seems to have the Vectran liner, which seems very cool to me. Tufo's would have the goop in them and that adds weight.

!
    Are you serious? You are proposing to make a factor in your decision the fact that you have heard the tires "make Noise" ?

Added weight from sealant? A couple of grams per wheel and you actually think you will notice that??

Buy all means buy the Continentals - you'll be happier.
    Last edited by toomanybikes; 04-16-2007 at 05:17 AM.