Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

valve core torque?

8K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Kerry Irons 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a torque spec for presta valve cores? My new tube had a slow leak, and after fruitless attempts to find a pinhole it occurred to me to wonder about the valve core. I removed it, saw that it looked just fine, and reinstalled, making sure to snug it into the stem. Now my leak is be gone, but I'm wondering about torque.

#4 ·
Just as you start to think you've heard everything................

#8 ·
WTF! A tube costs $7! Just replace the freaken thing! It's not worth the inconvenience of a flat down the road.

If you have a hard time with this decision, just imagine yourself on the side of the road in freezing temps changing a tube while your fingertips are freezing off.

Easier now? :)

#13 ·
Tough crowd here. I knew the question was OCD, but I had to ask. I thought if there really were a spec, I'd have a general idea of how tight to go. It's true that my torque wrench has no kind of fitting for a valve core, but a number would at least give me some idea of what to shoot for as I tighten manually.

As it is, I used a little bitty adjustable wrench to grab the flats on the valve core. Tightening torque was until the valve stem started to rotate in the wimpy grip of my fingers.

As for $7, it's a latex tube, hence worth its weight in adamantium.

#14 ·
While we're talking about presta valves, how much torque is appropriate for a valve cap?

I don't want to strip the threads of the cap, of course. But I also don't want it working loose and flying off and becoming a missile at the absolute worst time... like on a fast descent with gravel-averse GP4000SII asploding-sidewall tires, and a complete lack of disc brakes.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bobf again.

#17 ·
Oh man, CXWrench and Velodog, you guys are mean. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.