RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Velocity Deep V and CK hubs. Thoughts

I''m a former racer who does mostly hard club rides now on hilly terrain. Looking to build a racing/training wheelset
    with Chris King hubs. Looking at 32/32 build with perhaps Velocity Deep V rims. Can't use wider rims because
    the tire clearance on my bike is very tight with 19mm rims and 23mm tires.

Thoughts?

Online Wheel Builder
    How much do you weigh? What type of terrain are you usually riding?

Sounds like a pretty damn beefy wheelset to me. If your an uber clyde, then the rim choice/spoke count would be justified. However, that wheelset is definitely overkill for most riders.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookbiker View Post
    I''m a former racer who does mostly hard club rides now on hilly terrain. Looking to build a racing/training wheelset
    with Chris King hubs. Looking at 32/32 build with perhaps Velocity Deep V rims. Can't use wider rims because
    the tire clearance on my bike is very tight with 19mm rims and 23mm tires.

Thoughts?
    The DT Swiss 585 will arguably be of quality more comparable to the CK hubs and same size as the Deep Vs. If you weigh less than 190 lbs, the DT 415 maybe another choice more suitable to climbing. Either rim is a smidge wider than 19 mm; 19.4mm to be exact which should not make much of a difference to the effective width of the 23mm tire.
    The Mavic Open Pro and CXP33 may be additional choices for the narrow rims

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    195 lbs and the roads here can be really rough from winter's abuse(frost heaves, potholes, etc)

Old Skool

+1 bombproof

I agree. This wheelset sound uber tough. If bombproof is the goal, this is a good choice.
    The avatar is not me; just cool and suitably old skool.

A wheelist
    195 lbs and the roads here can be really rough from winter's abuse(frost heaves, potholes, etc)
    Any way you can get rid of those 23mm tires for the kind of roads you have and the weight you are? The pressure needed to stop you pinch-flatting must jackhammer the hell out of you. 25mm tires at 90psi would be far better.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Any way you can get rid of those 23mm tires for the kind of roads you have and the weight you are? The pressure needed to stop you pinch-flatting must jackhammer the hell out of you. 25mm tires at 90psi would be far better.

I have very little clearance with 23mm tires as it stands now. Will be getting the chainstay "dimpled" in the future to make more room for larger tires (metal frame).

RoadBikeReview Member
    with Chris King hubs. Looking at 32/32 build with perhaps Velocity Deep V rims.
    Thoughts?
    Are you a sprinter punching out big wattage?

Another vote for bombproof at 32 & 32. You should be able to go 28 2X on the front with no problems.
    Ride lots!
    Eddy Merckx

Big is relative
    I have a set of wheels with Phil Wood hubs and Deep-V's and they are indestructible but given the chance for a do-over, I'd probably go with CPX33's or some deep Kinlin rim. If you're going to spend $$ on hubs, get some nice rims.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I have a set of wheels with Phil Wood hubs and Deep-V's and they are indestructible but given the chance for a do-over, I'd probably go with CPX33's or some deep Kinlin rim. If you're going to spend $$ on hubs, get some nice rims.

Also looking at Kinlin 300 rims with 32/32 spoking. I used to race on GP4 rims when going with 32 spokes in the front was cutting edge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have Dep V's with Ultegra hubs and a pair with Velocity hubs. Both have over 15,000 miles on them and they are bombproof. I have hit potholes just see if I can destroy them. I got a front and rear flat ones, but never any truing. Deep V's won't quit. I'm not a fan of Open Pros since they seem to develop the cracked eyelet issue. I was told that there was a batch a few years ago that had that problem and it has been exaggerated. With that, I recommended them to my brother three years ago. He is on his third set. Nothing was wrong with them except for the cracked eyelets. he replaced them a year later and it developed again. His third set has just developed it. At 210 lbs, this is not a good sign. DTs are sweet but can get costly. They are a bit more polished than the Velocity Deep V but who cares if these are multi-purpose. I can't say much about the CXP33s. They are really good wheels too. I would put them on par with the Velocity Deep V.

So. Calif.
    Note the Deep-V rim can be a very tight fit installing some tires, eg Conti GP4000s.

I switched to using Velocity's "velo plugs" instead of Velox cotton(?) rim tape , that helped a lot. Some of the thin rubber/plastic rim tapes may be OK, too.

I've been using a 28 hole DeepV on a Powertap hub, the rim is very durable & bullet-proof, as others commented. 10K miles and still runs very true. Bit on the heavy side, though.
    At my weight (162-164 lbs), the 24 hole rim would have been fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the reponses. Going with DT 440 rims, 32/32