Booo-yaaawwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

Velocity Deep V vs. DT RR 585

So the DT RR 1.2 (aka RR 585) on my powertap wheel has a crack in it. I noticed the Velocity Deep V has the same ERD as the 585, so it would be a drop in replacement. I simply don't see the point of spending the extra money on the DT. What are your thoughts?

Facts:
    This wheel will see heavy training and racing
    I'm 130lbs.
    I ride and race on some really rough roads.
    I mainly race crits.
    The one stop spot for the wanna-be pros out there. Bikes, gear, deals, life...
    http://shouldbetraining.blogspot.com/

My eBay Store

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CabDoctor View Post
    So the DT RR 1.2 (aka RR 585) on my powertap wheel has a crack in it. I noticed the Velocity Deep V has the same ERD as the 585, so it would be a drop in replacement. I simply don't see the point of spending the extra money on the DT. What are your thoughts?

Facts:
    This wheel will see heavy training and racing
    I'm 130lbs.
    I ride and race on some really rough roads.
    I mainly race crits.
    the rim profile looks identical for these 2 rims the only real difference is one is welded and one is not.

Slightly OT but how did you crack an RR1.2 I'm 235 and the only way I got one to fail was to hit a really big pothole and dent the hell out of it. I have 2 of them the older being ~ 5 years old. I would be surprised If they don't have 15000 miles on them. I am a previous destroyer of rear wheels too.

I have no clue. I thought they were supposed to be bullet proof

My eBay Store

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I made a similar decision recently and went with the Velocity A 23 over the more expensive wide options (HED ardennes etc)

I had a friend recommend those too. The only issue I have is I would have to buy all new spokes as well.

My eBay Store

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Rim cracks

Quote Originally Posted by CabDoctor View Post
    I have no clue. I thought they were supposed to be bullet proof
    Almost by definition rim cracks at spoke holes means the spoke tension was too high for the rim. This would especially be true for a 130 lb rider unless you had been hitting a lot of potholes at speed. Note that I didn't say too high spoke tension for the build, but for the rim. This could be because of a poor quality rim, a defective rim, or a builder who went too high.

Velocity DeepV rims are hell-for-stout and with the same profile and weight the DT rims should be as well. At your weight you shouldn't need a rim that strong to get a durable wheel. The aero benefits are not great compared to the super wheels out there but might give you 0.1 or 0.2 mph at 25 mph.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I agree with not seeing the point in spending extra for the DT. The deep v rim definitely isnt a compromise, its a beastly rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    You do have other option in the DT line. As you may already know the DT585 is a welded rim. This means it is a very strong rim will last the test of time. Of course it will need to be built correctly for this to be true. A bad wheel builder will build bad wheels.

If you want a cheaper version of the DT585 you can look into the DT 520. It is the little brother, so to speak, of the DT585. It is sleeve jointed, so not as strong, but still an excellent rim. Additionally, it only weighs in at 500g.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Almost by definition rim cracks at spoke holes means the spoke tension was too high for the rim. This would especially be true for a 130 lb rider unless you had been hitting a lot of potholes at speed. Note that I didn't say too high spoke tension for the build, but for the rim. This could be because of a poor quality rim, a defective rim, or a builder who went too high.

Velocity DeepV rims are hell-for-stout and with the same profile and weight the DT rims should be as well. At your weight you shouldn't need a rim that strong to get a durable wheel. The aero benefits are not great compared to the super wheels out there but might give you 0.1 or 0.2 mph at 25 mph.

Weird thing is it's cracked on the sidewall.

But it sounds like I'll probably be getting a Deep-V

My eBay Store

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieman View Post
    If you want a cheaper version of the DT585 you can look into the DT 520. It is the little brother, so to speak, of the DT585. It is sleeve jointed, so not as strong, but still an excellent rim. Additionally, it only weighs in at 500g.

I'll look into that thanks!

My eBay Store

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Great, I hope you find what you're looking for and let us know what you finally decide on.