Thread: Velox Tape

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Velox Tape

Is anyone using Velox Tape on HED C2 rims? (regular, not the plus size)
    I think Velox only comes in 16 or 22mm, so I didn't know which one would work. I would think 16 would be too narrow and 22 too wide.
    Excel recommends the Conti 18mm or the HED rim strips.

Use my Apps :)
    I used Stans NoTubes Rim Tape 21mm on my DT RR440s and they are pretty close to the C2 with respect to width. The surface inside the rim isn't flat so the effective dimension is actually a little more than the inner width of 17-18mm. You may need to trim a bit...not much though. One roll will do 2 rims (twice around each). It's really thin and strong so it interferes minimally with tire mounting. What I remember about Velox is how thick it is. That can make tire mounting a PITA.
    "My Elevation" provides accurate elevation information on your Android device wherever you are or wherever you search. Accurate elevation, weather conditions and related Wikipedia data on just about anyplace on the planet!
    Get it on Google Play!

Curmudgeon
    Velox cloth tape is so old school. It's thickness and texture makes tire mounting more difficult. There are many alternatives available, read about them here:
    Tubeless Tape Thread- Mtbr.com

I now use 3M type 8896 on all my bike wheels. One layer for MTB and two for high pressure road wheels.

-S
    Last edited by SHIF; 03-20-2017 at 07:36 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I use the Velox 22mm tape with Conti GP4000's and latex tubes. No problems. I use Stan's tape on a similar set and can't tell any difference in mounting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Used to use Stan's tape as well. switched to veloplugs, just because.
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.bike

Use my Apps :)
    Quote Originally Posted by mann2 View Post
    Used to use Stan's tape as well. switched to veloplugs, just because.
    Yeah - Veloplugs are great if they fit. Had them on my Fusions. For my RR440s wasn't sure how they'd work out so I just went with the Stan's tape. Other use kapton tape as it's very thin, tough and cheap.
    "My Elevation" provides accurate elevation information on your Android device wherever you are or wherever you search. Accurate elevation, weather conditions and related Wikipedia data on just about anyplace on the planet!
    Get it on Google Play!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Is anyone using Velox Tape on HED C2 rims? (regular, not the plus size)
    I think Velox only comes in 16 or 22mm, so I didn't know which one would work. I would think 16 would be too narrow and 22 too wide.
    Excel recommends the Conti 18mm or the HED rim strips.

I used Velox 22mm on my HED C2s with no problems. 16mm is too narrow since the holes in HED C2s are staggered. Velox used to make a 19mm tape, but no more.

Old school, yes. But it still works. No problems mounting.

Edit: 19mm Velox is still widely available on eBay. I don't know why bike shops (mine included) only carry 16mm and 22mm.
    Last edited by Lombard; 03-21-2017 at 05:25 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Velox goes on and works fine. It wasn't until I needed to take it off that I really began to appreciate how it sucks compared to other options.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Also, if you have a ride in the rain and water gets into your rims.....that stuff will be totally saturated and you may as well strip it off and start over. With Veloplugs, just remove a few plugs, let the wheel drain and dry and replace the plugs. Same with some of the plastic tapes like Stan's or Pacenti. I have a few rims where Veloplugs won't stay in the holes without a small piece of clear tape over them. Takes less than 5 minutes to do a rim and no issues with losing plugs if you change a tire on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cdhbrad View Post
    Also, if you have a ride in the rain and water gets into your rims.....that stuff will be totally saturated and you may as well strip it off and start over. With Veloplugs, just remove a few plugs, let the wheel drain and dry and replace the plugs. Same with some of the plastic tapes like Stan's or Pacenti. I have a few rims where Veloplugs won't stay in the holes without a small piece of clear tape over them. Takes less than 5 minutes to do a rim and no issues with losing plugs if you change a tire on the road.
    Agree that Veloplugs are a good solution if they work with your rim, but they don't work with a lot of rims. Your statement about Velox tape getting wet is correct, but that is no reason to strip it off and start over. It dries out, just like your handlebar tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Veloplugs come in two sizes, yellow and red and they don't fit all rims. I have them on some wheels, but have gone towards using one of the plastic tapes.

I got away from Velox after I rode the 3State 3Mountain in Chattanooga about 3 years ago and rode 50+ miles in a pouring rain. Rims had water in them from wicking up the spokes as well as through puddles that couldn't be avoided. When I got back to FL, I stripped off tires and the tape and let the wheels dry for several days. Last time I used Velox.

If you don't get wheels so wet they take on water inside the rims, Velox is fine, I just have found alternatives that work for me.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
    I used Stans NoTubes Rim Tape 21mm on my DT RR440s and they are pretty close to the C2 with respect to width. The surface inside the rim isn't flat so the effective dimension is actually a little more than the inner width of 17-18mm. You may need to trim a bit...not much though. One roll will do 2 rims (twice around each). It's really thin and strong so it interferes minimally with tire mounting. What I remember about Velox is how thick it is. That can make tire mounting a PITA.
    Last week I would have said bullshit. After my experiences with some wheels built on tubeless rims a few days ago, I'm a Stan's convert. The Pacenti rims on my wife's wheels (I'm using tubes) were almost impossible to get tires on and off. I could barely get Michelin Pro 4's on and couldn't get Conti 4000S on at all. I had velox tape on them. I called the guy who built them for me and he said I needed to use tubeless rim tape. I replaced the tape in both last night (Velox out, Stan's in) and it made a significant difference. I've got two wheel sets with HED Belgian rims and Velox tape. Tires aren't as hard as the Pacenti's, but still nothing I look forward to. Next time I swap out tires, I'm swapping tape too.

a real member's member
    yes, i use velox 10mm tape on the new wheels i build using sun m13ii rims.

velox is the least expensive cotton tape i can find online (ebay).

cotton tape makes my vintage builds feel complete.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.