Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Vision Metron 40mm Clinchers

Has anyone seen/heard/ridden Vision Metron 40mm clinchers? I ask because I recently ordered a 2014 Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod DA, which is specced with these wheels. (This is my mid-life-crisis, turning-40 gift to myself) I've seen a couple of reviews, and I guess some pro named Sagan rides on them. But I can't find them for sale anywhere and FSA won't tell me the retail price.

I ask because if they're selling for some outrageous amount ($2000?) I might just sell them and build a new set for myself (I have some spare wheel parts laying around I could use). But hey, if they're decent hoops, look cool, and match the bike, maybe I'll just keep them.

Anyone know what these things retail for? Think they're worth it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    If I'm reading this right, looks like ~$2,000 USD.

FSA Vision Metron carbon road cockpit –*first look | BikeRadar

irony intended
    2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
    2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (because I can)
    2014 Colnago C59 AD04 (why not)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Wow - I did some Googling but didn't see them at Uptown. Wow - that's a lot of dough. It is tempting to unload them right away and just build something up some 23mm wide alloy clinchers. But they do look nice. I guess I'll see how my wallet is feeling when the bike finally gets here (I'm being told about a week).

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Quote Originally Posted by SBH1973 View Post
    Wow - I did some Googling but didn't see them at Uptown. Wow - that's a lot of dough. It is tempting to unload them right away and just build something up some 23mm wide alloy clinchers. But they do look nice. I guess I'll see how my wallet is feeling when the bike finally gets here (I'm being told about a week).
    $2k for 1195g clinchers is pretty good in my book, though I'm not sure about the 18/21 spoke configuration. That's just abnormal to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Aluminum freehub body, how durable will that be?

They'd be good special event wheels, 1195 is amazing for clinchers.

irony intended
    heck...if you take em off without riding them...I'll give you $1500 if you throw in the tires...
    2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
    2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (because I can)
    2014 Colnago C59 AD04 (why not)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The clinchers are definitely NOT 1195gm. I just got mine and they are 730gm + 880gm. Just rim tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Wow, 1610 grams with tape? These wheels have gone from ultralight to actually kind of heavy. I can build up a set of 20/24 45mm Gigantex carbon clinchers for around 1530g with Veloplugs. I have no idea where Vision rims are made, but probably China, possibly Taiwan. I can't imagine they're any better than Gigantex. Or I could use Pacentis and save another 100 grams.

My 2014 Synapse should be arriving sometime next week. It's going to be really tempting to just sell these off as new and build something lighter at a fraction of the cost - almost like a 25% discount on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    The clinchers are definitely NOT 1195gm. I just got mine and they are 730gm + 880gm. Just rim tape.
    Last edited by SBH1973; 06-28-2013 at 05:38 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I'm sticking with my 202's. But i gotta admit, they do look awesome, all flat black and all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Did these come on your bike? Which one?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Synapse black inc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

I've asked two dealers to order a 2014 Synapse and they say not shipping until September.

How did you get your?
    2013 Cannondale Supersix Evo hi-mod Red Racing
    2012 Cannondale Supersix 3
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
    2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012

Ummmm...what? I talked to Metron directly about 3 weeks ago. The Metron 40s, the newest that Cannondale are riding, aren't going to be released to the public until at least August they said.

So, you have a pair of these new wheels before the general public? Can you show pics please?

Also, as far as pricing, Metron hasn't released anything official yet except "in the ballpark of competing wheels."

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

2013 Vision Metron 40 Carbon Clincher Wheels Brand New | eBay

Wheels are for sale actually.

Vision Metron 40mm Clinchers-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372905315.061558.jpg

Cannondale released a small order bank of the '14 Synapses. I kept my Zipp 202s.
    Last edited by trauma-md; 07-03-2013 at 11:30 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    You sir, are a bad influence on me!... lol
    That synapse looks sexy. Makes me want to get that custom flat black paintjob on my supersix.

2013 Vision Metron 40 Carbon Clincher Wheels Brand New | eBay

For sale actually.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372905315.061558.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	283513

Cannondale released a small order bank of the '14 Synapses. I kept my Zipp 202s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

trauma-md,

have you actually weighed the wheelset you are selling?

If they are the 2014 model per your listing, the should be lighter.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
    2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I'm more interested in how wide these rims are.... I'm considering the 55's

If they are 23-25mm wide at the tire bead, I'm going to hold off til they become more available, and see about picking some up.

as for spec'd weights n such:

Vision Adds 40 and 55mm Deep Carbon Wheels, Two Color Schemes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah those clincher weights are way off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah those clincher weights are way off.
    Found another site with info on these: New wind-tunnel-tuned wheels debut under Cannondale Pro Cycling team

Since you actually have the 40's, have you weighed them? In the review they state 1195 grams for the clinchers, which honestly seems a bit off skew to me. I mean, Hell.... if they truly are that light, and, they're backed by FSA (who I actually like).... there may not be much questioning which set of wheels I'm going to get next. LOL

But, I feel you.... hence, why I posted my findings. Oh, and they don't even post weight info on their page:
    VISION BIKE COMPONENTS

If these turn out to be like 1600 grams (actually not bad for a carbon clincher), Enve's will continue to be in my daydreams... LOL
    Last edited by Diopena1; 07-04-2013 at 11:49 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I have the Metron TC24 carbon tubular wheels that came on my 2013 Cannondale EVO.

I have a Park Tool hanging scale and the TC24 come in at 1350 grams (vs 1250 claimed) without tires and cassette.

With the Metron 40 having more material than the TC24 due to 40mm rim height and being a clincher, there is no way the 40's are below the 24's in weight.

I believe the 1600+ weight.

My HED Ardenne FR Plus aluminum clinchers comes in at 1605 without tires and cassette. Thus the only advantage a carbon clincher has is aero benefit over aluminum. Aero benefit is only a minute or so over 25 miles of TT like road. Google it.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
    2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Diopena1 View Post
    Since you actually have the 40's, have you weighed them?
    Yep. Those are actual weights. To compare, I weighed my Zipp 202s and they were spot on at 1360gm with that scale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Yep. Those are actual weights. To compare, I weighed my Zipp 202s and they were spot on at 1360gm with that scale.
    Hmmm, 1360gm 40mm clinchers... that means that the 55mm version is about 1400-1500 grams.... Interesting!
    Btw, did you manage to sell them?... if not, pm me with your asking price (just curious, if its a good number, I may convince the lil lady to lat me take them off your hands ;) ).

These would be killer with my new tire setup conti 4000s 23mm front, 25mm rear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

My Zipp 202s are 1360gm. The Metrons are 1600gm. I gave the comparison just to make sure the scale was accurate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014

Just got this bike as well.....

Just got the Synapse Hi Mod Black as well:
    Weather has been crappy around here so haven't had much of a chance to ride it outside. That said, the one day I did, I pumped the tires up to the normal 120 and proceeded to gear up for the cold. Came back to the bike 10 minutes later only to hear a loud bang. The front tire blew off the rim. 5 minutes later same thing happened on the rear wheel. Schwalbe tires rated for up to 130 PSI. I did a lot of due diligence on frames before making this choice. Rode several bikes etc. but didn't do a lot of looking into the wheels this bike came with. Apparently since the rim is 2.45 cm wide, you are only supposed to pump the tire up to 116 PSI max. First of all, I've never seen a wheel have a PSI limit. Secondly, I'm not sure why Cannondale would put a wheel that is 30-40% wider (i.e. more rolling resistance) on a high end bike even if it is an "endurance" bike. Consider that lower end Synapse models have a more conventional wheelset on them with presumably lower rolling resistance. Also keep in mind, this was only 4 PSI over what the wheel limit mentions sitting in the house without any additional pressure on the frame. What's going to happen when I'm out on a ride and just due to tire on road friction the PSI increases by 5-10? Will the tire blow out while I'm riding? Needless to say, I've raised these questions to my local shop and they have been presented to a higher power to be answered. That said, I did get to finally ride the bike and it's smooth and comfortable and yes the wheels look hot on this bike and they are super light. I'm just a little gun shy about putting any miles on them without some reassurance from Cannondale and/or Vision for my personal safety. I'm hoping my wheelset is a one off issue, but both tires blew off the rim within 5 minutes of each other without any additional weight on the bike....all 15 lbs of it;) I'm not optimistic at this point, but anxiously awaiting more info from them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast