RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Vittoria Diamante Pro bad grip?

I've been riding another bike for a while then went back to my one with Easton EA 90 wheels and a Diamante Pro. I was going down a 12% grade hairpin turn (Montebello road for any SF bay area people here) and I leaning over a fair amount. I suddenly felt my wheel start sliding out from under me. I wasn't going super fast and the road was in perfect shape. Has anyone had similar experiences with these tires?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have one on my front in my current rotation (Pro Light version waiting once my rear is done) mounted on Campagnolo Khamsins. Have been on Radio Rd. past few days with the crude roads and crosswinds on the descent doing repeats. Seems fine to me.

In general I find Vittoria tires not to have less grip, but a more sudden "give" than others...based on my experience with the Zaffiro Pro, and two generations of the Rubino Pro. Basically I just get used to their feel if I end up with one of the tires. They don't seem to like any form of late braking, which nonetheless is good discipline.

As crude as my previous Hutchinson Equinox's felt, it was much easier to anticipate when they'd deviate from their line. I kinda liked that perceptible sense of feedback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the exact same wheel-set with Rubino Pro's and have never had an issue. I have the EA90 SLX with Open Corsa EVO CX (25mm) and they are great too (saved for mostly for hilly rides/races). How old are the tires? I just noticed my rubino's are getting a little more brittle since not having them on the bike since last year. It could just be a combo of the road and lean angle?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    My other wheelset is a Reynolds DV3K and I've had multiple rear tires (Atom Hutchinson Comp, S-Works clincher, and Bontrager RXL) and never had this problem on similar grades at even higher angles.

I do find the Eastons very flexy. I'm not super heavy (~155) but when track standing I can push the front wheel hard into the braking surface and the brakes aren't super tight either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Tire does not have many miles on it, maybe 500.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How old is the tire (not mileage)? Give the Corsa's (racing) or Rubino's (training/overall) a try and see if you have the same issue. I weigh about the same as you do and have never had issues with either tire/wheel setup. The SLX's are a little more flexy (expected for their weight/spoke count), but I've never encountered brake rub while riding (trackstanding can probably flex a lot of wheels w/ enough pressure). I've gone down very fast/tight canyons/passes with them on and felt very safe. Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    The tires are probably about 9 months old.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I also have tried the Rubino and find them very sluggish. They came stock on my bike, heavy too =/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Never saw the place for Diamante. Open Corsa is so much smoother/sharper/faster, and RP much more durable with very decent all-around performance for training. And newer RP3 (150tpi) closes that ride/handling gap even further. RP3 Slick a fast tire in its own right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's been pretty much my experience as well. Once I wear my current RP's out, I'll try the "3". I used to ride Conti's, but Vittoria's have been my tried and true for the last 6-7 yrs. The latest Open Corsa's have been relatively durable as well. Ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldteen View Post
    Never saw the place for Diamante. Open Corsa is so much smoother/sharper/faster, and RP much more durable with very decent all-around performance for training. And newer RP3 (150tpi) closes that ride/handling gap even further. RP3 Slick a fast tire in its own right.

mtnroadie

Great Tire! Never an issue with grip (knock on wood)

I love the Diamante Pros I run on 4 of my bikes, I used to have the Rubinos which I also liked. The Rubinos were perfect and very supple, yet I was curios what 220 tpi would feel like so I went for the Diamante. They are uber supple, I finally tried my first sew-up tubular wheel/tires and I have to say the Diamantes are more supple. I can only imagine what the Open Corsa is like.

The Vittorias can feel a bit sluggish if they are not at the right pressure, I am 150 and run them at 100 front 110 rear, i could go a bit less but 90 or 95 starts to feel sluggish. Also being high tpi they are prone to getting cut, I usually go about 1000-1500mi on them before that happens, other wise I can get about 2000+/-mi out of them. I have used super glue to seal them up and sneak another few hundred out but thats kinda risky.

The best part is that since they are not too popular some times you can find really good deals on them, My last pair I bought for 50, pair before that 40! There was one local LBS here that had them and they didnít move for months, so I just made the guy an offer and cleaned him out.

For those for whom the Diamantes are too expensive or too fragile the Rubino Pros are almost just as good. Good winter tire for those who usually like the Diamante.

RoadBikeReview Member
    PBK is having a discount on them when you buy two, plus a overall 10% discount. I might have to try the Diamante's also. I keep mine at about 100psi on front/rear. The 25mm OC CX's are the cat's meow, imho, esp. on some of the less than stellar roads around here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I have tried a lot of tires, and I really like the Diamante Pro in a 25mm. I have not lost grip with it, but I may not be riding aggressively enough.