RoadBikeReview Member

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX clincher, grip issues?

Looking at getting some new tires and I have been hearing that the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX is a great tire. However, after doing some research , a lot of people seem to complain of bad grip, especially in the wet. Anyone experience this?

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Thats the only tire I run on the road. I dont have any grip issues. They are soft but the ride is well worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

Agreed

I run the EVO CX's and SC's. Paired with a latex tube, the ride is phenomenal. Discovered a huge gash on my rear SC when I got home yesterday, but whatever did that would have sliced any tire. When the weather turns colder I switch to the Pave's. A little heavier (I don't notice) and not quite the same feel, but slightly wider and seem a bit sturdier (not an endurance tire though). Have not had any issues with grip with any of them.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad View Post
    I run the EVO CX's and SC's. Paired with a latex tube, the ride is phenomenal. Discovered a huge gash on my rear SC when I got home yesterday, but whatever did that would have sliced any tire. When the weather turns colder I switch to the Pave's. A little heavier (I don't notice) and not quite the same feel, but slightly wider and seem a bit sturdier (not an endurance tire though). Have not had any issues with grip with any of them.
    I run a pave in the rear and a 25cx in front alot of the time. Agreed with the latex tubes. The ride is the best you can get without going with a premier tubular.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    i've run these tires for years. I don't have much experience racing them in the wet as it just does not rain that much here but I can tell you in the dry I've leaned my bike over in turns at some pretty good speeds in crit's and these tires have never missed a beat.
    Randy
    www.axelproject.com
    Ridgway, Colorado

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Check out the new 24 wide Corsa SR tire:

Cotton tires Vittoria

According to this:
    Tech round-up: Sticky rubber, FSA vids, value lids, Comtat opens showroom, Pragmasis locks up & more | road.cc | Road cycling news, Bike reviews, Commuting, Leisure riding, Sportives and more

they are going to the ISOGrip rubber (used on the SC tire) on the CX, SR and Pave CG. Looks like this SR tire is intended to be better in the rain. I don't think the CX was ever intended to be a true wet use tire.

Looks like they used to make the Open Corsa EVO Tech that was their dedicated wet tire:

Last edited by wildboar; 09-09-2012 at 09:46 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I've used the tubular version and they are horrible in the wet, even damp conditions they start sliding really easy. It's not really an issue just riding around, but a crit on a damp or wet course will get the adrenaline flowing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I'm running them now (clinchers). Dry they are fine, but I rode them in the rain for a bit today and they were terrible. The rear wheel would slip and spin when climbing out of the saddle forcing me to stay seated to keep enough weight on the rear so it would stay planted. I usually don't ride in the rain but got caught out in a sudden thunderstorm. Needless to say, I won't be riding them anytime the roads are the least bit wet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've ridden Open Corsa Evo CX 25mm tyres for the past couple years and haven't found them to be significantly better or worse in the wet than other tyres I've ridden. I'm about half-way through my second pair, and will almost certainly get another pair when these are worn out.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    They do seem to loose grip more than other tires when over inflating. And seeing as though a lot of people over infalate tires or are heavy and need to go to 120 ish that might explain those reviews.

With normal PSI (say below 110) the grip is fine and they are great tires however.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I run mine at 95 rear 85 front. They are 25's and I weigh about 200 including the bike and gear. No problems with slopage or anything else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the response guys.
    @tihsepa, how does that affect the rolling resistance of them, especially for your weight? I was thinking of these b/c they are supposed to have one of the least rolling resistance?