The Trollinator
    Apr 2008

Vittoria Open Tech vs. Open Pave tires

Now that the snow and ice is clearing a bit in Michigan, I want to GTFO the trainer, and getoutside. I'm a bit concerned about running my GP4000s given quality of the roads due to the winter.

I've read that the Vittoria Pave tires are used for truly crappy conditions; cobbles and the like. However, I can't find a lot of information on the Tech tires from the same line. I'm looking at the Open/clincher versions of the tires.

Any input? I can get the Paves for about $40 apiece and the Techs for about $45. From what I can tell, the sell of the Paves is that they are slightly wider (although you can't get the 27s in clincher) and tougher. Are the Techs just wet-race-day tires?

Open Corsa Evo Tech
    Tech feature in our lineup means "specific for foul weather conditions" (read winter/wet).
    The added latex layer on the sidewalls increases casing's cut resistance from small glasses/sharp stones often brought into the lane by rain from the roadside.
    Specific Aquagrip Compound gives for a terrific grip in all nasty road conditions (cold/wet).
    "Handmade" for superior performance and comfort. Designed for foul weather use, with excellent racing characteristics in the rain. New tread pattern for even better performance:
    - “diamond” tread pattern elongated in the direction of rotation for better ground contact;
    - curved side ribbing for excellent flex-free grip even in the wet;
    - Acquagrip Compound, for reduced rolling resistance and better grip in the wet;
    - Corespun 320 TPI casing, with latex reinforced sidewalls.
    - New PRB 2.0 puncture resistant belting placed underneath the tread increases the flat prevention properties of the Corsa Evo Tech up to 40%, even while reducing the weight.

Open Pavé Evo CG
    Especially for those who cycle all year round, on all road surfaces (including pavé and asphalt) and for racers in the North European classic races, Vittoria has improved one of its most traditional models, the CG, and raised it to the EVO K 320 Casing level.
    With its new Corespun K 320 casing (80% polycotton, 20% Kevlar®), Open Pavé EVO CG is probably the strongest tyre available on the market. If you then add to it our Kevlar® SiO2 3D Compound for the tread and a "handmade" casing construction, typical of our tubulars and open tubulars, you get a green-black CG tread capable of out-shining the competition even on Roubaix roads, as well as in your own personal challenges. Our new high density casing - a true 320 TPI - delivers unbeatable comfort and superior performance with inflation pressure of up to 130 psi! New PRB 2.0 puncture resistant belting placed underneath the tread increases the flat prevention properties up to 40%, even while reducing the weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    The open paves aren't just good, they're sofa-king good.

I ran them all winter here in Toronto.* If you can get them for $40 just do it.

*NOTE: we had a very mild winter, most days there was full on pavement. For snow and ice days I ran my single speed commuter with spiked marathon winter's.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    The Open Pavés are great

I have them on my road bike all autumn/winter

and the green looks great with CD rims ;)

Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    The Open Pave and Corsa CX Tech are both reasonably durable and handle extremely well in the wet. The treads tend to cut and sometimes pick up rock chips or glass; the 320 tpi versions are much better about keeping the stuff from going through to the inner tube. However, in almost any conditions, the Conti 4000S tires will outperform for durability, puncture resistance, etc. The ride isn't quite as cushy, but in the winter you probably won't notice anyway. Try a GP 4-Season in the 25 mm diameter with a slightly lower pressure and you'll get close to an equivalent ride. When the weather improves, I'd certainly switch to the Vittorias, and frankly I'd not hesitate to ride them year-round. But riding a Pave tubular on Paris Roubaix cobbles is quite different from putting training miles in on grit and debris littered roads. The Pave's are better at holding on the rough shapes of cobbles, but for any kind of paved roads -- even poor ones -- the Contis tend to be a bit more durable.

As for the Tech versus the Pave, the Pave is more cushy (the 27 mm is even more so, to the point of excess) but if you want better sense of contact with the road (i.e., you want to maneuver at speed and want a good sense of when you are detaching) the Tech does better. It's quite durable -- basically as much as the Pave, since sooner or later they both die from cuts rather than from running out of tread. In winter the Pave's can limit room to fit fenders, which is a bigger issue than others discussed here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    I have been running Open Pave's for the last 3 spring and fall seasons. Very durable for a high end tire, even with all the crap on the roads in Michigan mine have held up great. Plus they do ride very nice and stay gripy when it's cold and wet, though Im not usually railing the coners in Feb and March. You cant go wrong, beside the are very PRO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Where are you finding these for $45? Thanks.

The Trollinator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by olapequena
    Where are you finding these for $45? Thanks.
    Craigslist. $40 each plus $10 shipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    I have no experience with either the open pavé or the tech.

I ride GP 4000s, Open corsa evo cx 290 tpi and corsa evo cx 320 tpi tubulars, all in 23 mm. The open corsa are the least durable and the most prone to flatting. Maybe the 320 tpi are better in that respect.

IME, the GP4000s are great for bad road conditions. I have ridden more than 6.000 km on the Contis, and never flatted. I am running my second set.

The Trollinator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roadboy
    I have been running Open Pave's for the last 3 spring and fall seasons. Very durable for a high end tire, even with all the crap on the roads in Michigan mine have held up great. Plus they do ride very nice and stay gripy when it's cold and wet, though Im not usually railing the coners in Feb and March. You cant go wrong, beside the are very PRO.
    Where in Michigan do you ride?

I get to deal with the "fun" Lansing / East Lansing roads. There are a few craters that are literally large enough for me to get inside of in the fetal position. The other areas just seem like some deity was shooting deity-sized birdshot at the road.

The Trollinator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tecnosabba
    IME, the GP4000s are great for bad road conditions. I have ridden more than 6.000 km on the Contis, and never flatted. I am running my second set.
    I normally use GP4000 tires. I've heard from a few places that the Paves are particularly comfy and great in the wet, not unlikely due to their wider size. Figured I'd give them a go, but saw that the Open Tech are also rated for poor conditions.

The Trollinator
    Apr 2008
    Went on my first ride (100km) on my Open Pavés today. They weren’t the second coming of Jesus, but then again I was switching from GP4000s. I ran them at 100/100 PSI (I weight 150lb). Didn’t get any punctures, though.

One thing that I did notice is that, coming around a fast turn, there was absolutely zero lack of confidence. It felt like I was going straight… but actually turning. Strange sensation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    I weigh 155lbs and run 90 front and 95 rear on those tires. The ride really smoothes out when you get below 100psi and i have not had any pinch flat problems. Play around with the pressure you might be suprised how much better they do get.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Northern Michigan, leelanau county, the roads are not as bad as Lansing, at least when I was at school there the roads were horrible and I dont imagine they have gotten any better. Lots of chip and seal up where I ride and lots of cracks but not many big holes thank God!

The Trollinator
    Apr 2008
    I hit a giant pothole head-on, and AMAZINGLY didn't pinch flat (likely due to the higher pressure). I was on a 2-lane twisty road, surrounded on both sides by trees (very scenic during the summer). A car was trying to pass, and it didn't click mentally that big puddle of water == pothole, so I stayed over to the far right to let it pass.

I was figuring on dropping the pressure a bit, 90/95 sounds about right for my next target. I'll give her a go and see how it feels :-)
    Last edited by zriggle; 03-07-2010 at 10:35 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    open pave ftw. I had one slight issue with them that i ended up blaming on the wheel and had it replaced. they grip well on wet, dry, and every kind of in between. The green is hideously awesome too.