RoadBikeReview Member

Vittoria Rubino Pro G+ Tires

Does anybody have experience with these? I'm considering trying these? They look like a good compromise between puncture resistance and at the same time being a grippy and supple tire at 150TPI.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    i have good luck with Rubino Pro tires for years. I have not tried the Graphene series yet, it sounds like hype, but I thought they were a good value. Nice ride, durable and reasonable price

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    We have a local customer on them. He was looking for the unicorn "rides like a Corsa G+, lasts like a Gatorskin" tire. Of course it achieves neither, no tire could, but he's very happy with both parameters after one season. When I next need tires that can be used inside and outside (non-vulcanized open tubulars like Corsa G+ get hammered when you use them on rollers/trainer), I will try Rubino G+.

As I recall, inflated width on 20mm internal rims is just under 25mm in 23mm stated size.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys! So it sounds like (as I assumed) there are more compromises than unicorns. Does all things OK, but no one thing exceptionally.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've only used to old one's and thought they were 'okay'. I don't seem to get many flats so don't need to make the compromises as compared to say a Corsa so I wouldn't use them though. I think you'll definitely notice a ride feel improvement over what you use now if I remember correctly and those are re-fuse.
    The new ones test really well, for a not purely race tire, in rolling resistance tests.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I've only used to old one's and thought they were 'okay'. I don't seem to get many flats so don't need to make the compromises as compared to say a Corsa so I wouldn't use them though. I think you'll definitely notice a ride feel improvement over what you use now if I remember correctly and those are re-fuse.
    The new ones test really well, for a not purely race tire, in rolling resistance tests.
    Thanks Jay. These are actually considered "training tires", so I figured will be more durable. I also figured 150 TPI will ride nicer than the 60 TPI Re-Fuses.

The Re-Fuses are obviously at the extreme end of puncture proof and durable at the cost of every other quality. I am hoping the Rubino Pro G+ will be a good overall compromise. Where I ride, roads are terrible.

-- Warren Buffett

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I have not tried the Rubino Pros, but I have been riding the Corsa G+ tires and have been really impressed with them. I've tried a lot of different brands of tires, and these things are the sheet. The 23's are more like a 25. I don't have clearance on any of my bikes for the 25. They're $14 more per tire than the Rubinos at Ribble. Live a little.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I would go for the older Rubino Pro III, which can still be had 6/$105 shipped. Stock up while you can. These actually test better for rolling resistance than the new ones. Cheaper and better is a no brainer. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...ino-pro-g-2016 "Unfortunately, I can't say the Rubino Pro G+ performs very strong in the rolling resistance test. Rolling resistance is OK, but the bad thing is rolling resistance has increased when compared to the older Pro III. The old Pro III was a great tire with a very low rolling resistance for its price."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    I would go for the older Rubino Pro III, which can still be had 6/$105 shipped. Stock up while you can. These actually test better for rolling resistance than the new ones. Cheaper and better is a no brainer. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...ino-pro-g-2016 "Unfortunately, I can't say the Rubino Pro G+ performs very strong in the rolling resistance test. Rolling resistance is OK, but the bad thing is rolling resistance has increased when compared to the older Pro III. The old Pro III was a great tire with a very low rolling resistance for its price."
    I did see the Pro III in the writeup. The rolling resistance is lower than the Pro G+, but only by 2W (at both 80 and 100 PSI). I am unlikely to feel 2W.

Rubino Pro III 2014 Med Amazon 25 238 18.6 16.0 14.0 13.4 12 / 7 Review

Rubino Pro G+ 2016 Med Amazon 25 248 22.3 18.2 16.0 14.8 12 / 5 Review

What was more relevant IMHO is the 1.4 (rounded to 2) point difference in sidewall puncture resistance. Tread puncture resistance is the same. TPI is the same. Though looking at user reviews, both of these tires received high marks.

The Corsa series is obviously the favorite for speed and comfort at the expense of puncture resistance, durability and longevity. I saw plenty of user reviews complaining about cuts, punctures and short life, so it's pretty obvious there are no magic unicorns that give you the best of all worlds when you shave weight and up the TPI into the 300 range.

I just bought a pair of each oh these - the Pro G+ and the Pro III. Great deal on the Pro III at $25 a tire. Will mount each pair on two difference road bikes and see how they compare.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Chain Reaction has the black 25 Pro III for $17.43, free ship over 99,. which is how you get 6 for 105. above.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I just bought a pair of each oh these - the Pro G+ and the Pro III. Great deal on the Pro III at $25 a tire. Will mount each pair on two difference road bikes and see how they compare.
    I'm curious to see what you conclude -- let us know. I've got 1600 miles on a set of Corsa G+ I bought this year. The rear tire isn't squared off and there's no nicks or cuts in them.