RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Vittoria Tire - Open Corsa or Open Pave

I'm looking for my next tire and will probably give Vittoria a try since I'd like to see what all the rave is about with these high TPI tires. Only decision is which one. I'm choosing between the open corsa (25mm) and the open pave (24mm) clincher. I'm currently on a 23mm Hutchinson Equinox.

http://bit.ly/bvpsIT Open Corsa EVO CX 320tpi clincher
    http://bit.ly/9qj4O1 Open Pave EVO CG 290tpi clincher

I'm not the fastest rider around, but that is mostly due to lack of cardio. I prefer to stay between 18-19 mph for around 25 to 30 miles but do some rides that get up into the lower 20mph, however I'm not in good enough shape yet to hang for too long. I weigh 145lbs and ride mostly flats, some bridges, once in awhile hit the hills. Roads are decent around here. Anyone know the differences I'd experience with one of these versus the other?
    Last edited by Weav; 04-08-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady!

Look 566
    SRAM Rival compact with 12-27
    Dura Ace 7850 SL Tubeless
    Hutchinson Fusion 3
    Cobb V-Flow Plus Saddle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    The corsa's are as good as it gets for ride. But if you want rugged and durability, not that great. I haven't have any issue with them but still they were built for speed not ruggedness.

It's my understanding that the Pave are more of an 'all condition' type tire. Great tires but the type that guys who care about speed and performance on the road would be using in the winter or shoulder seasons not in the middle of the summer. I could be wrong, as usual.

I'd say the Corsas if performace is your number one objective.
    And the Paves is you care more about durability and longevity.
    (this seeing as though you're going to be on good roads)

Hucken The Fard Up !
    +1 for Hank Stamper advice.

I say, get both

Ride the Corsas in Spring/Summer
    Ride the Paves on Autumn/Winter/wet days

this is how I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

The Trollinator
    Apr 2008
    Get them here, much cheaper...

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y0033

Anyway, the Pave is more durable. The CX is a race tire, by definition. The 25mm CX will probably be a smidge more comfortable, just because it's wider.

Note that neither of these tires will be anything near as durable as, say, a Gatorskin. "More durable" is relative to the CX.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agree with zriggle. Open corsa is my favorite race tire...but it is NOT durable. Gatorskins wont ride as nice but the are bombproof. ummv.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks guys, what about the Open Pave? Will it ride better than a gatorskin but still be pretty durable?
    Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady!

Look 566
    SRAM Rival compact with 12-27
    Dura Ace 7850 SL Tubeless
    Hutchinson Fusion 3
    Cobb V-Flow Plus Saddle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Weav
    Thanks guys, what about the Open Pave? Will it ride better than a gatorskin but still be pretty durable?

yeah, pretty much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I use Pave clinchers for training in winter, and Pave tubulars for racing all year. IMO they are the best compromise between performance and durability.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    durable means treadware or flat resistance? I have open corsa& OP should use Pave. Corsa for heavier riders.

So. Calif.
    For best performance from the Open Corsa ... both 'smoothness' and lowest rolling resistance ... use latex tubes (eg, Michelin A1 latex).

Be forewarned, that when latex does flat, it loses pressure much faster than regular butyl tubes. note, Latex tubes can be patched using regular glue & patches.