Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Hi All,
    I had these wheels a couple of years ago. I got the Vuelta Corsa Lights from Nashbar for some ridiculous good price. I rode about 150mi/week. I didn't do much as far as maintenance - probably a wipe down and clean every 3 months.
    In month 9 I broke a spoke. My LBS had a replacement bladed spoke (Bontrager) and I noticed that their spoke was WAY wider and sturdier. Low and behold I continued to snap spokes over the next few weeks.
    They also developed a sort of weird noise that I think was in the backhub when I would sprint or get out of the saddle. It could have been flex in the wheel from power. I out put a good amount of power, but i also only weigh 145lbs.
    So, after 10 months I trashed them and got some Bicycle Wheel Warehouse Blackset race 13's and have never looked back.
    The rims and hubs might be okay on this wheelset - but the ones I got had really weenie spokes.
    Hope this helps - I wanted to just give my experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Hi All,
    I had these wheels a couple of years ago. I got the Vuelta Corsa Lights from Nashbar for some ridiculous good price. I rode about 150mi/week. I didn't do much as far as maintenance - probably a wipe down and clean every 3 months.
    In month 9 I broke a spoke. My LBS had a replacement bladed spoke (Bontrager) and I noticed that their spoke was WAY wider and sturdier. Low and behold I continued to snap spokes over the next few weeks.
    They also developed a sort of weird noise that I think was in the backhub when I would sprint or get out of the saddle. It could have been flex in the wheel from power. I out put a good amount of power, but i also only weigh 145lbs.
    So, after 10 months I trashed them and got some Bicycle Wheel Warehouse Blackset race 13's and have never looked back.
    The rims and hubs might be okay on this wheelset - but the ones I got had really weenie spokes.
    Hope this helps - I wanted to just give my experience.
    How much did you weigh at the time? Also with low spoke and light wheels you do need to keep them properly tensioned and do it more often, about every 3 months.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Just ordered a pair of the Lites. We'll see how they go.

Bikes, Guns & Metal...
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    As a former self financed road racer I learned never to buy expensive wheels to race on from others, why? because crashes do and will happen and you don't want a pair of $1500 wheels getting taco'd. So I'm with you, get the light and far cheaper Vuelta wheels, their just as light as the Mavic's for a lot less money.

Yes, it sucks being a self financed racer and being a Cat 5 makes it even harder to think about expensive wheels.

I made up my mind and I will get the Vuelta Lites and maybe next year by tax time i will be able to purchase the superlites; money is always an issue with me being a father of 3, racer, hunter and beloved husband...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusted Angel View Post
    Yes, it sucks being a self financed racer and being a Cat 5 makes it even harder to think about expensive wheels.

I made up my mind and I will get the Vuelta Lites and maybe next year by tax time i will be able to purchase the superlites; money is always an issue with me being a father of 3, racer, hunter and beloved husband...
    I fully understand your position, I got as far as Cat 3 then retired 2 or 3 years later because of being married and having one child at the time, plus working full time, and having a car hobby. But the expense of travelling to events, motels, restaurants, the event itself, bike maintenance, etc was all on me. Granted back in my days this hobby was cheaper than today which is all the more reason not to go nuts with stuff and risk losing a substantial investment in one crash. At entry level racing crashes are actually more prevalent than at pro races because the lower level racers don't know what their doing! So they come in contact with other peoples back tires while trying to draft, etc, you know what I'm talking about. I did by extreme luck beat out the odds and never had a crash in a race, but had a couple of crashes that resulted in damage to bike and me on the street, once while commuting and the other on a training ride.

I think the Vueltas are all the wheel you need to be racing on, their cheap, you won't be balling your eyes out if you taco one and have to get a new one by using your credit card because your short on money due to the wife and kids needing new shoes...not a good idea by the way to use a credit card for anything not alone to fund a racing bike.

I did run into other racers who made a lot of money at their jobs and for them to go out and buy the most expensive bikes and wheels and just replace them when they got damaged was no big deal, I wasn't that well off to just run out and buy the most expensive gear and laugh about the expense if I had to replace it, plus I am a tightwad so rational thought took place more often than not.

Bikes, Guns & Metal...
    Got my wheels and I am happy with them, can't really give feedback yet but of course they have to be better than my old stock entry level Alex I still have for rain days.

Bikes, Guns & Metal...
    ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda679 View Post
    Vuelta corsa lite vs superlite, which one would you like better?

Oakley Sunglasses

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Vuelta Corsa Lite Road Wheelset??

I have had the Vuelta Corsa lites for two years as an upgrade to the stock Shimano RS10 on my Super Six. Great wheels. Have stayed Tru. No broken spokes. I weigh 170. These wheels roll forever. These are a great value and are faster than my Mavic kysyrium equipes I have had on my titanium bike. The vueltas are now on the titanium bike when I switched the Super six to Reynolds Assaults.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Any new info in the corsa SLR?
    im looking to buy the lite or the SLR soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    My corsa lites have 1500 miles on them. They are not 100% true now but only ever so slightly off. Nothing a little half turn of the nipple won't fix. I am 150lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    My corsa lites have 1500 miles on them. They are not 100% true now but only ever so slightly off. Nothing a little half turn of the nipple won't fix. I am 150lbs.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Anything in particular you think could have put your wheel out of true?
    Front or rear wheel?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedNeeder View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    Anything in particular you think could have put your wheel out of true?
    Front or rear wheel?
    nothing. never crashed or anything like that. just a fair amount of riding. mind you though that it is only very slightly off. something that will almost pass visually but won't pass a truing stand.

i am not sure how well other wheels stay true. but my previous open pro built by reputable wheel builders were worse than this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpsmash View Post
    nothing. never crashed or anything like that. just a fair amount of riding. mind you though that it is only very slightly off. something that will almost pass visually but won't pass a truing stand.

i am not sure how well other wheels stay true. but my previous open pro built by reputable wheel builders were worse than this.
    Thanks for the info.
    Looking at the Corsa SLR vs the BWW Blackset race set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Re: Vuelta Corsa Lite Road Wheelset??

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    How much did you weigh at the time? Also with low spoke and light wheels you do need to keep them properly tensioned and do it more often, about every 3 months.
    Sorry for the delay- just got notification.

I weighed about 155lbs sans gear. I don't think it's the spoke count, I think it's the ultra weenie spokes they used. Maybe they've changed since then.
    For reference, I replaced a broken spoke with a bontrager bladed spoke. The bontrager one was twice as wide and thicker. I never ride the wheels out of true... the broken spokes were seemingly out of no where.

Now I ride on BWW blackest races. 12k miles without even needing a spoke wrench.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    I have a set of Corsa Lite collecting dust in the garage. I pulled the stickers off the rims and there were web of hairline cracks. Unsure whether the crack is just on the black paint or deeper into the actual aluminum. I'm 125 lbs and only rode it for 200 miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Sure sounds like a paint problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the Zerolite's and got caught twice in the rain and both times the freehub body lock up before I could make it back. Nothing like a nice long walk in the rain, so if you have the Vuelta's do not get them wet! Or you will be replacing the freehub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I picked up a pair of these for 200$ the other day on sale. They are the best bang for the buck out there, they spin up fast and stay rolling very nicely. Sure they wont outdo a 500 dollar wheel, but a great upgrade over stock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Sorry for reviving an old thread but I searched first and found this rather than start new.

I bought a set of the Cora lites with shimano hub and then shortly after found a steal on a campy 11 speed group. I'm wondering if there is a campy free hub I could buy to allow my new cassette to fit. I see they have the option to buy with shimano or campy freehub when purchasing the full wheelset but can you buy the free hub separate?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachUA View Post
    Sorry for reviving an old thread but I searched first and found this rather than start new.

I bought a set of the Cora lites with shimano hub and then shortly after found a steal on a campy 11 speed group. I'm wondering if there is a campy free hub I could buy to allow my new cassette to fit. I see they have the option to buy with shimano or campy freehub when purchasing the full wheelset but can you buy the free hub separate?
    http://www.vueltausa.com/vuelta-bicy...l-parts-1.html
    That's the longest I've ever ridden without a beer stop.

baj
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    I know this thread has been quiet a while, but I just found it and will throw in my $0.02. For reference, I tend to start the riding season ~180-185+lbs and am in the ~165-170lb range by mid-Summer. I'm a reasonably powerful weekend warrior, do triathlons and am often in the top 5 or 10 overall on the bike split.

I got my first pair of Corsa Lites in 2011, put close to 15,000 miles on them before retiring them. Great wheels, fast rollers, I'm always passing other riders down hills when we all start coasting at the same speed. I have broken a few spokes on the rear and came to the conclusion (which was then verified by others) that you have to find somebody skilled at spokes to replace them on road wheels. My LBS has a great reputation and has done great work on everything I've brought into the, except spokes. Both mountain and road bikes, I get one replaced and break one or more within weeks or months. A buddy recommended a good shop (40 minute drive for me) where I now take all my wheel work and I've never had another problem like that.

I did wear out the bearings in these wheels. I was able to clean and re-lube the front bearing and am still using the wheel, but the rears are shot. I also wore out the free hub which I replaced and re-lubed the bearings, but only got a season more (maybe 2000 miles) out of it.

I got a second set of these in 2014 as I had planned to use them as training wheels for my TT bike which has 81mm carbon wheels, but when I realized the amount of work involved in changing the wheels and brake pads I just said the heck with it and use the carbon wheels all the time on the TT bike. You only live once, right? So now the rear of the second set is on my road bike. I thought I was being preventative and took the wheel apart to add lube to the bearings and free hub pawls, now a year+ later (maybe 2500 miles) and the free hub is failing on this one too. It could be a lemon, or maybe I didn't get it back together as snug as original and got water in there. I take a lot of chances with rain in the forecast on my road bike (you have to around here if you want to get your riding in) and get bit by it several times each year, so they've been ridden in the rain a few times, but nothing like the original set of Corsa Lites which I did that for years.

I can second the cassette biting into the free hub body on the Corsa Lites, makes for a heck of an effort getting the cassette off the hub. I ordered a replacement Novatech hub that has a couple hardened steel teeth on the hub body which is suppose to help prevent this from happening. Hope to get that mounted up this weekend and we'll see how it works.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I have 1200 miles on a set I bought back in 2016, no problems yet but not a lot of miles. They seem pretty damn good for the money!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12