Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Vuelta Corsa Lite Road Wheelset??

I was wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about the VUELTA CORSA LITE version. There does not seem to be many reviews on this wheelset.

I just picked a brand new set for $200.00 + $24 for ship which seems like a steal for what they claim to offer. Weight is a claimed 875 gr for the rear 647 gr for the front......I have two sets of Mavic kysrium equip's that cost about $400 a set and are at least 200 grams heavier. The vuelta's seem to rival the Mavic Elites for weight and they cost around $600...

Thanks for any and all replies and If you have pics that would also be good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    I bought a Corsa Lite set today. Looked at Corsa Super Lite and Ksyrium and others. It came down to bang for buck. I think you have a FINE wheelset. This is what I bought today. For an additional $170 I could have gotten Super Lites. For several hundred more I could have gotten Bontrager Race Lites the dealer wanted me to buy.

Anyway... I've seen limited reviews on these, but what I have seen has been favorable. Especially for price paid.

pman
    Aug 2011
    Do the Corsa lite wheels have any rider weight restrictions

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WILMUNRH View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about the VUELTA CORSA LITE version. There does not seem to be many reviews on this wheelset.

I just picked a brand new set for $200.00 + $24 for ship which seems like a steal for what they claim to offer. Weight is a claimed 875 gr for the rear 647 gr for the front......I have two sets of Mavic kysrium equip's that cost about $400 a set and are at least 200 grams heavier. The vuelta's seem to rival the Mavic Elites for weight and they cost around $600...

I built two Chinese carbon bikes this spring/summer, and selected Vuelta Corsa Lites for both. As the crowd says, the bang for the buck was the best out there. I have a set of Kyserium Elites on my Tarmac, and the Corsa Lites seem to perform every bit as well at a couple of hundred grams lighter.

As for weight limits... I'm unsure of any restrictions the manufacturer imposes. I weigh between 190 and 195, ride a lot of mountain roads that undergo questionable maintenance, and haven't had any issues with durability in about 4 months of regular use. I'm pleased.

I posted a couple of pics. (Note that I removed the red portion of the decals for the set to better match this bike.)

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WILMUNRH View Post

Nice price! Source?

Just Ridin'
    Quote Originally Posted by lewdvig View Post
    Nice price! Source?
    Also curious to know how to get these at this price!
    Caad10 (105 / Ultegra mix)

RoadBikeReview Member
    How are these holding up for you guys? Looking at these now and even though they are mid 300's, would be interested if you all haven't had any bad experiences.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    No bad experiences... holding up well, straight and true. I love these wheels!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I bought a set a few weeks ago to replace a Bontrager Race set. I'm pleased with the quality and how they ride.They spin nice, brake smoothly and were nice and true out of the box.

I think they look very nice on my Black/White/Red bike.

I got them from nashbar for under two hundred fifty delivered.

I can't say anything bad about them. I think they're a great value. I've sold several pairs.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    I got them from nashbar for under two hundred fifty delivered.
    I just got mine a week ago from the same place for $249 + shipping, they must be selling like hotcakes cuz I just noticed they increased their price to $259, still cheaper than their own website for $350.
    Fit n finish seems to be real nice but don't have much experience with other wheels. I will say after putting on tubes/tires I compared them to my stock wheels and I easily shaved off approximately 1.25 - 1.5lbs.

Hoping to take a test run later today or tomorrow.
    Frank
    '10 Jamis Ventura Race

.je
    Success find: 0 items!
    Hi all I notice Nashbar is having another 20% off sale

How do you compare these 2 kinds of Vuelta wheels they have:

Vuelta Corsa SLR Road Wheelset - Overweight Code W
    $300 with shipping
    22mm rim profile
    18mm rim width
    24/28 spokes
    1467g

Vuelta Corsa Lite Road Wheelset - Overweight Code W
    $233 with shipping
    27mm rim profile
    ? mm rim width (maybe 19mm)
    20/24 spokes
    1578g

I'm 175-180lb, and although maybe a $450 wheelset is a little better, a $200 (half price!) saving is substantial. Which wheelset is a better upgrade from the 1735g Aksium I have now, one of which is only ~95% round? tia

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    After reading the rave reviews I bought a set of the Corsa Lites for my girlfriend, saved over a pound from her no name wheels. I took them out for a 30 mile ride to break the hubs in and ordered myself a set as soon as I got home.

There is a noticeable difference in acceleration and rolling time over my Kyseriums. I was 185 when I bought them and have had no issues with going out of true. You will not find a better wheel for this price, or double it.

Weakness: no street cred.
    That's the longest I've ever ridden without a beer stop.

Master debator.
    I just ordered a set of the SLR's but I'm not sure how long it'll take for them to get here. I have been meaning to order new custom wheels but I heard there is a new version of the White Industries hub coming out so I'll use these in the interim. After that they will go on the gf's bike to replace her 2,100 gram Alex wheels.

$281.98 with shipping.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

.je
    The Corsa Lite has taller rims, which are of course stronger, but it has fewer spokes - 24 on the rear wheel - and 100g heavier (just 150g less than the ones I have)

The SLR are shorter, but 24/28, and lighter....

anything to choose between these?

Master debator.
    Well I ordered the SLR's because I thought I might notice the lower rim weight over any aero advantage the taller rims might have. I'd guess (guess) that the taller stronger rims can get by with fewer spokes, and the lighter rims with more spokes would kind of make it a wash, except that the SLR's might accelerate quicker as the rotating weight is lower at the rim.

In actual practice there may not be any noticeable difference so I went with lighter over cheaper.

Master debator.
    Got a couple of rides on these wheels. Feel very similar to a pair of Easton EA90SLX wheels I had. Stiff, no noticeable flexing when standing and cranking hard, no weird noises or pinging, they came true and well tensioned out of the box. I can't really say anything bad about them, but I've not had them very long.
    If they hold up over the rest of the season under my fat 180 lb butt on the roads we have around here, I'll declare them a tremendous value at 1,486 grams. The skewers weighed 117 btw.

.je
    Still going on well?

(I'm not the next Lars Armstrong, I'm sure they'll do well...)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I haven't heard anything bad about them other then from people who need to sell expensive wheelsets. Anyway there are some reviews for them on the net, see:
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Vuelta Corsa-Lite 700c Clincher Wheelset

https://www.performancebike.com/revi...-Wheelset.html

Vuelta Corsa-Lite wheelsets - clincher reviews - Mtbr.com

I hope that helps. Of course if you weigh 240 pounds I wouldn't get those wheels, but for someone under 175 they should be fine. If you do weigh more simply go up to the next slightly heavier wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Re: Vuelta Corsa Lite Road Wheelset??

As s general statement, I've been running the Vuelta Corsa Pros for about a year now. Radial 20 sp front, 24 sp rear. Heavier than what you are considering, but they gave been very good. I bought them as a cheap 'wow' upgrade, and have been happy. No maintenance needed, and they get good use. As an added - I was 259, now 234. My point here being for a low line wheel, something in their quality is working.

Bikes, Guns & Metal...
    Vuelta corsa lite vs superlite, which one would you like better?
    Weight difference is 1570 gr vs 1476 gr
    Price difference is $230 vs $315

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusted Angel View Post
    vuelta corsa lite vs superlite, which one would you like better?
    Weight difference is 1570 gr vs 1476 gr
    Price difference is $230 vs $315
    More importantly, how much do you weigh? If you weigh over 180 pounds you may want to consider the Vuelta Corsa Pro, it's built a bit more studier.

Otherwise if you weigh somewhat less then 180 I would go with the Corsa Lite, they're a bit sturdier than the Super Lites which means they will hold up a bit better in normal street use; if you're going to use these to race with and race only then go with the Super Lites and train on other more durable wheels. Of course this is all just my opinion.

Bikes, Guns & Metal...
    I weight 160 so that's not an issue and for now these may end up as my everything wheels but next year I would like to get a pair of Ksyrium Elite for race only but I am having second thoughts now,. I might end up with a set of Vuelta lite for training and a set of superlite for racing.

I am replacing my stockk wheels, My ride is a Specialized Allez sport and I started racing this year and I have been riding a lot more so my stock wheels are not cutting it and I feel like they are going to fall apart. I have a set of old used Rolf that i bought off a friend and that's what I have been using for racing but in training camp early this year Y kinda messed one up getting into a pothole and then I wrecked in a race and now I have a loose spoke and I can't really true those wheels any more, the rear one is the worse one and I need the upgrade at a reasonable price and these Vuelta seem to be the ones just for me.

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    More importantly, how much do you weigh? If you weigh over 180 pounds you may want to consider the Vuelta Corsa Pro, it's built a bit more studier.

Otherwise if you weigh somewhat less then 180 I would go with the Corsa Lite, they're a bit sturdier than the Super Lites which means they will hold up a bit better in normal street use; if you're going to use these to race with and race only then go with the Super Lites and train on other more durable wheels. Of course this is all just my opinion.

Master debator.
    I've probably got 500 miles or so on the SLR wheels. As stated before I weigh around 180 lbs and I'm a strong rider. I bought them to hold me over until I could get a custom wheelset ordered, they were only $280 with a 20% off coupon.

Last week I whacked a good-sized hole in the road at over 35 mph, didn't see it in time as it was dusk. I checked the wheels over after I got home, the tension feels solid yet and no wobbles etc.

Now I'm wondering what a new wheelset will offer me other than wider rims, because these have worked pretty well for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusted Angel View Post
    I weight 160 so that's not an issue and for now these may end up as my everything wheels but next year I would like to get a pair of Ksyrium Elite for race only but I am having second thoughts now,. I might end up with a set of Vuelta lite for training and a set of superlite for racing.

I am replacing my stockk wheels, My ride is a Specialized Allez sport and I started racing this year and I have been riding a lot more so my stock wheels are not cutting it and I feel like they are going to fall apart. I have a set of old used Rolf that i bought off a friend and that's what I have been using for racing but in training camp early this year Y kinda messed one up getting into a pothole and then I wrecked in a race and now I have a loose spoke and I can't really true those wheels any more, the rear one is the worse one and I need the upgrade at a reasonable price and these Vuelta seem to be the ones just for me.
    As a former self financed road racer I learned never to buy expensive wheels to race on from others, why? because crashes do and will happen and you don't want a pair of $1500 wheels getting taco'd. So I'm with you, get the light and far cheaper Vuelta wheels, their just as light as the Mavic's for a lot less money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast