RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Wanted deep rims to build up

Looking for deep rims to build up. I'm 200 lbs and I want to get a 32 spoke deep wheel for strength. I'm looking at the Velocity Deep V rims, 30mm height/depth. Comments about these wheels? Other wheels? These are going to be just plain everyday rides, nothing fast or special so I want them strong. I expect to use my existing hubs and buy 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes.

Are Kinlin rims any good? Looking at the XR-270 or XR-300 but Kinlin seem hard to find and I don't know if they have any advantage over the Velocity other than being lighter which makes me worried that they may not be as strong or the weight is mislabeled.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    i think you're on the right track w/ the Deep V, they're pretty strong. i don't have any personal experience w/ Kinlin, but have heard good things about them around here. i think the Velocity rims would be easier to find, like you i haven't seen Kinlin being stocked by any distributors i use.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

A wheelist
    Check out BikeHubStore.com for all Kinlins.

Kinlin Road Rims
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I have probably put 30,000 miles or more on wheels with Kinlin rims since getting my first set of 300s in 2007, including on the 300, 270, and 200,with the majority on 300s (3 sets built on 300 rims). I haven't had any rim issues with any of them. For comparison, I weigh 175-80 and most of my riding is on the flats, but I have had these wheels in CO in the mountains too. I do have one older set of Velocity Deep Vs that I had before I got my first set of handbuilts using Kinlin 300s, but they spend most of their time hanging in wheelbags from the garage ceiling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    look at Boydcycling. they have great alum wheelsets at great prices. Plus Boyd and Nicole are top notch people to deal with. BTW, i am not associated with them in any way, but, i am a vey happy customer.

i have a set of their carbon wheels and 2 sets of their 30 mm alum wheel. i barely ever use my carbon wheels any more.
    2014 Cannondale Synapse HM Matte Black
    2014 Shimano PD-9000 Pedals
    2012 Shimano7970 Di2
    2014 Boyd Carbon Clinchers
    Second set of wheels: 2014Boyd Altamont

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Looking for deep rims to build up. I'm 200 lbs and I want to get a 32 spoke deep wheel for strength. I'm looking at the Velocity Deep V rims, 30mm height/depth. Comments about these wheels? Other wheels? These are going to be just plain everyday rides, nothing fast or special so I want them strong. I expect to use my existing hubs and buy 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes.

Are Kinlin rims any good? Looking at the XR-270 or XR-300 but Kinlin seem hard to find and I don't know if they have any advantage over the Velocity other than being lighter which makes me worried that they may not be as strong or the weight is mislabeled.
    The Kinlin rims are good, and they also weigh less than Deep-Vs. I'm assuming Deep-Vs can take a little more abuse. DT Swiss RR585 is another option.

What hubs do you currently have?
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    BikeHubStore has good prices on KinLin rims and Sapim spokes. The only drawback with the XR270s that I've used are that they can't handle high tensions. I've cracked one at a spoke hole due to cranking the tension up too high. 110kgf is what I've been told is the limit.

I recently built a wheel on an XR270 with the DS at 120kgf and using Sapim nipple washers to spread the load. If you do the washers use them on the DS only- the NDS's spoke angle is too high so the washer prevents the nipple from matching the spoke angle correctly, resulting in a slight bend in the spoke. BHS has the washers too.

Online Wheel Builder
    The Deep V is solid but frankly I have found it to be a bit excessive. The XR300 is pretty burly and I think it would more than suffice for your weight.