RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

Are we running out of 15c rim options?

It is more or less impossible to get factory wheels in the £200 to £300 range with 15 mm inner rim width.

Hand builts:

What other options in the UK are out there in the £250 to £300 range other than CXP33 15c rims + Sapim spokes and Novatec hubs. They are 1950gr and not light.

The ****ing **** **** spoke of my Shimano RS31 wheel snapped again yesterday on the non-drive-side. It was still possible to go home (first I didn't even notice it because the wheel had no gone strongly out of shape). I had the same problem last year. The **** doesn't last. And it again exactly broke at the nipple.

I have 25mm tyres (Vredestein) and this works with 15c rims in terms of tyre and frame clearance. I do not want to ride 23mm tyres on 17c rims.

wheelbuilder
    Kinlin XR-270 is a good rim to consider. 14mm internal width and 19.4mm outer. Available in offcenter rear if you like.

Kinlin XR-270 Clincher Rim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    Kinlin XR-270 is a good rim to consider. 14mm internal width and 19.4mm outer. Available in offcenter rear if you like.

Kinlin XR-270 Clincher Rim
    Which one would be better (two quotes from2 different wheel builders) and approx £250:

1. Lightweight wheelset 32/28 hand built using the following:

Novatec A291 28h Front Hub With Kinlin XR270 Rim - Radial Spoke Pattern
    Novatec F482 32h Rear Hub With Kinlin XR27R Asymmetric Rim - 3 Cross Spoke Pattern

Sapim stainless spokes used throughout with brass nipples.

Weight: 1650g
    Rim tape/Skewers not included.

2. Mavic CXP 33 32/32

Hubs are Novatec track hubs in black (branded On-One). High quality Japanese Ezo sealed bearings.

The 32 spokes are high quality Belgian made Sapim Race 2.0/1.8/2.0 double butted stainless steel in black. Made from 100% stainless steel and fastened with 14mm black brass nipples.

The wheels are built using a 3x (3 cross) pattern which is the best compromise for strength without excess weight.

Total wheelset weight is a respectable 1960 grams.

All our wheels are handbuilt to order to the same high standards. Wheels are true to +or- 0.2mm and spokes uniformly tensioned to within 5% a side.

What is the point doing a 32 hole front wheel? My commuter has a 20 spoke Shimano WH-R501 front wheel and I don't think I will ever brake a spoke.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dracula View Post
    Which one would be better (two quotes from2 different wheel builders) and approx £250:

1. Lightweight wheelset 32/28 hand built using the following:

Novatec A291 28h Front Hub With Kinlin XR270 Rim - Radial Spoke Pattern
    Novatec F482 32h Rear Hub With Kinlin XR27R Asymmetric Rim - 3 Cross Spoke Pattern

Sapim stainless spokes used throughout with brass nipples.

Weight: 1650g
    Rim tape/Skewers not included.

2. Mavic CXP 33 32/32

Hubs are Novatec track hubs in black (branded On-One). High quality Japanese Ezo sealed bearings.

The 32 spokes are high quality Belgian made Sapim Race 2.0/1.8/2.0 double butted stainless steel in black. Made from 100% stainless steel and fastened with 14mm black brass nipples.

The wheels are built using a 3x (3 cross) pattern which is the best compromise for strength without excess weight.

Total wheelset weight is a respectable 1960 grams.

All our wheels are handbuilt to order to the same high standards. Wheels are true to +or- 0.2mm and spokes uniformly tensioned to within 5% a side.

What is the point doing a 32 hole front wheel? My commuter has a 20 spoke Shimano WH-R501 front wheel and I don't think I will ever brake a spoke.
    Won't those Kinlins (although 27 vs 30mm) have the same problem on the non-drive-side (NDS) than the shitty Shimano RS31?

There is quite an angle where the spoke enters the nipple on the NDS and this causes the spokes to break there. By comparison nipple and spoke on the drive side look ,,straighter".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Another question.

According to the internet the Kinlin XR-27 rims weigh 450 grams each.

The Mavic CXP 470 grams.

Where does the additional Kinlin weight savings of 250 grams for the wheelset come from (1960 vs 1650 gr)? 4 more spokes in the front of the CXP33 cannot explain it. Is it the hub?

Edit:

Because it is written on the internet it does not mean it is false. It is written:

Is brake shudder still a problem with the Kinlins XR270? Or have they fixed it in 2018?
    Last edited by dracula; 05-07-2018 at 05:19 AM.

wheelbuilder
    One of the quotes is for track hubs?

How much do you weigh?

Brake shudder is an inconsistent issue that only some of the rims had. I haven't built with them in a while so I don't know if it occurs less often now, but it was never a major issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

How much do you weigh?

Brake shudder is an inconsistent issue that only some of the rims had. I haven't built with them in a while so I don't know if it occurs less often now, but it was never a major issue.
    Okay you a re right. The hubs are for a single speed. I did not notice it (I saw the offer on a wheelbuilder's site).

Thanks for pointing this out.
    Last edited by dracula; 05-07-2018 at 06:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

How much do you weigh?

I pulled the trigger on the Kinlins:

https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s178p373...IN-XR270-XR27R

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

How much do you weigh?

I have a question:

As I said I had a spoke on the RS31 rear NDS replaced last year by a local bike shop.

Now I wonder should I again pay them or just try my luck and replace it on my own (I ordered a replacement spoke).

I have always been told spokes do not break. So I am wondering now if the design of the wheel is as such, that no matter how good the wheel builder spokes will keep on breaking and I am wasting my money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    And it again exactly broke at the nipple.
    This suggests either defective spokes (threads cut too deep or cut wrong to create a stress riser), corrosion, or a strange build that somehow stresses the spoke at the nipple, which is indeed strange.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    This suggests either defective spokes (threads cut too deep or cut wrong to create a stress riser), corrosion, or a strange build that somehow stresses the spoke at the nipple, which is indeed strange.
    It could also be caused by uneven tensions. If you have some spokes under tensioned, those spokes will be subjected to more flexing which will make them fatigue faster.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

wheelbuilder
    I pulled the trigger on the Kinlins:

https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s178p373...IN-XR270-XR27R
    Looks good on paper. If they have a solid reputation for building then you should have some nice wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    It could also be caused by uneven tensions. If you have some spokes under tensioned, those spokes will be subjected to more flexing which will make them fatigue faster.
    But that failure is nearly always at the bend at the hub, not at the threads at the nipples.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    But that failure is nearly always at the bend at the hub, not at the threads at the nipples.
    But aren't the threaded ends susceptible to flex fatigue as well?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein