What the what???

What does this mean

And is it still safe to ride?

Tires were new this Spring. Less than 1000 miles on them. They are labeled to 110psi, but I keep them at 100r/95f.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:18 AM.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

Russian Troll Farmer
    Looks like you scraped up a fence. Inflate to 150 psi-if it doesn't blow up then, they are probably OK.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

What the what???

What does this mean

Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Looks like you scraped up a fence. Inflate to 150 psi-if it doesn't blow up then, they are probably OK.
    Itís odd. Iím not aware of anything scraping the tire, and the same kind of deformation appears in spots on the opposite side also.

Last edited by Opus51569; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:31 PM.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kinda looks like spots of the casing that didn't bond, causing irregular stretching when inflated, causing tears in the casing where they aren't bonded.

Just my WAG.

What ever the cause, I just put these, with Continental, on my tires not to use list.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Looks like an impact/scrape to me.

Look at the scalloped patterns under the main holes at the tire's 6 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions.

The 6 position scallops are perpendicular to the road-surface of the tire. The 7 position scallops are at an angle to the road-surface of the tire, which shows the tire rolling and pulling away after the impact/scrape.

Also, you have what looks like a dimple in the bead at the tire's 5 o'clock position, likely where it took the brunt of the impact first.

That said, I've never seen a tire have holes open like that under any circumstances. So it could be a combination of a normal tire hitting a normal obstacle on the side, compounded by a manufacturing defect or just a weakness in the sidewall there.

Me? I'd chuck em, and buy a different brand of tires next time. Good tires are relatively cheap insurance against catastrophic crashes caused by sidewall blowouts at high speeds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Are those tires....white?

The little holes are not actually at the same diameter from the hub, they jump up and down about 2 mm or so, so I would not think they are from scraping something while riding. I don't know, maybe if you ran over a mowing blade that had pointy things about every .5"? How likely is that?

I think that is a cheap tire and the outside white rubber is delaminating from the cords/casing/rubber. Where did you get it?

If it gets bad it could completely peel off in a corner, but if you keep an eye on it and don't go over 20mph, I think you'll be ok.
    BANNED

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Kinda looks like spots of the casing that didn't bond, causing irregular stretching when inflated, causing tears in the casing where they aren't bonded.

Just my WAG.

What ever the cause, I just put these, with Continental, on my tires not to use list.
    Yeah. Itís not the first time Iíve had issues with the ThickSlicks. Itís a shame because I like the look and the ride of the tire and the price is right. But if they arenít durable enough, price doesnít matter.

Huge in Japan
    How wide is the rim and what size is the tire. If it is a narrow(ish) tire on a wider rim (looks like an H Plus?) then it could be the sidewall pinching between the rim and road surface during impacts. I have had this happen on a 23mm on a Hed+ rim but raising my psi mitigated it and I still wasn't at 100 like you are so I could be wrong here.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

What the what???

What does this mean

Quote Originally Posted by craiger_ny View Post
    How wide is the rim and what size is the tire. If it is a narrow(ish) tire on a wider rim (looks like an H Plus?) then it could be the sidewall pinching between the rim and road surface during impacts. I have had this happen on a 23mm on a Hed+ rim but raising my psi mitigated it and I still wasn't at 100 like you are so I could be wrong here.
    H Plus Archetypes and the tires are 25mm... and yeah, duriel... theyíre white.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Black & white rubber don't stick together very well. It takes a lot of effort.
    BANNED