RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

what is a good beginner wheelset?

I've had my roadie for 4 years now and as I am getting much more serious about my riding, I would like to start upgrading certain components starting with my wheelset. Currently I have the Bontrager lite on my Madone 5.2

I spoke with my local bike shop and he recommended Hed Adriennes CL. I have read alot of about them and them seem like a great wheelset.

My question to you is this: Is there a comparable wheelset at a less expensive price? Or is there a better wheel at a very comparable price? The store told me $800 for the set. I am still relatively new to riding but have signed up for a few rides / tours in 2012 and want to join a couple of races in 2013.

I appreciate any information you are willing to provide.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    That seems like a good price on the HED's and it's a nice wheelset. How much do you weigh and how hard are you on equipment? The reason I ask the second question is I've seen guys the same weight and one break spokes and the next guy not have any issues with the same wheels.

A wheelist
    We don't know what you weigh.

Try -

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...-/prod_34.html

- plus the same set but with Podium build (CX-Ray spokes - $500)

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com.../prod_149.html
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks guys. My weight is about 230 lbs. My hope is to bring that down with more riding.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Madone 2012 View Post
    Thanks guys. My weight is about 230 lbs. My hope is to bring that down with more riding.
    Then certainly disregard the first wheelset I gave. This is why it's important that we have the right info. BWW have wheelset realistic groupings based on rider weight. Many wheel vendors don't.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Then certainly disregard the first wheelset I gave. This is why it's important that we have the right info. BWW have wheelset realistic groupings based on rider weight. Many wheel vendors don't.
    Sorry, but what is BWW?

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Madone 2012 View Post
    Sorry, but what is BWW?
    You're kidding me right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    You're kidding me right?
    I figured it out after clicking on your 2nd link and saw BicycleWheelWarehouse.com

Thanks for your info

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I think you can get away with the HED wheelset you mentioned, but you are at the upper end of the weight limit (posted limit is 225lbs). Perhaps looking into a set with (24 or 28) front and 32 rear spokes will be something to consider instead of 28 rear. Paired with White Industries hubs, it will be a very nice wheelset.
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by valleycyclist View Post
    I think you can get away with the HED wheelset you mentioned, but you are at the upper end of the weight limit (posted limit is 225lbs). Perhaps looking into a set with (24 or 28) front and 32 rear spokes will be something to consider instead of 28 rear. Paired with White Industries hubs, it will be a very nice wheelset.
    Thanks Valley. I'll take a look at those hubs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A HED C2 with 28/32 or 32/32 laced 3x with double butted spokes on hubs like the CK R45 ( my favorite), Alchemy or WI will give you a more robust wheelset and superior hubs to the stock HED hubs for about $150 more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Considering to upgrade my carbon road bike from alum wheels to carbon. 5.0 clinchers seems like a 'safe bet'. Just wondering how much smoother/faster are the carbon wheels? Can anyone explain the difference. Either in speed/watts/time on a set distance. thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    If you truly do not care about the "bling" factor and want a great riding bullet proof wheel set, try the Mavic Open Pro CD with Shimano Ultegra hubs (BWW has them). I have used these wheels (first with Shimano 600 and then with Ultegra 6600 hubs) for over 20 years and they just do not wear out. I recently tried a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels which so many people love and I did not like them. I weigh about 180, and even though the Ksyriums were lighter, they were much harsher riding. The open pro/Ultegra combo is smooth as butter and never seem to go out of true. Oh yeah, and in 20 years I have NEVER broken or replaced a spoke.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    You might also consider Boyd Wheels or ROL, both are much less expensive and high quality wheels. My first set of Boyd Vitesse wheels are shipped and due to arrive Friday, I purchased these after looking at the HED Ardennes and went with the value of the Boyd's. There are several threads in this forum that you can read about these wheels if you are interested and both owners of the companies, Boyd and ROL, post on here as well.

LA CHEVRE
    The best beginner wheelset, to me, is whatever you already have... unless they broke or have issues. Once you get more experience and become stronger/faster, it will be easier to decide what you want/need. No?

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING