RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010

What happened to my Gatorskin?

Coming off the Mountain today I flatted and noticed I had 2 small sections on my tire like this. The tire is still very functional, but that section definitely worries me. The tires have ~4000 miles or so on them. Its the rear so its pretty worn into a more squared off shape, but I thought Id be able to get more than 10 months out of them.

Last edited by Rhymenocerus; 08-26-2011 at 10:14 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Looks like someone has been skidding to a stop one too many times. There is almost no other way that you can get a bald patch like that/
    RUFUSPHOTO
    Action Sports Freelance Photographer
    www.ryancathrall.com

Stumpcake!
    Skidding is what came to mind to me as well, but who knows. Do yourself a favor and replace that before your stuck doing it on the side of the road. PBK and Ribble have Gatorskins cheap.

BTW, your thread title had me thinking something totally else....I'm waiting for a pair of Gatorskins I ordered about 8 days ago.
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah, skidding would make sense, its been hot as balls on the mountain and ive been making a lot of fast descents. The ride before last I actually locked up the rear wheel in a sketchy manner, that may be the aftermath. Sigh, I thought those suckers would last me longer. I guess thats the price to pay for lots of descending.

Big is relative
    I ride gatorskins on my mileage wheelset and when they get worn thin, the rubber comes off in patches. I'm not a skidder and I've seen it several times. I tried to wipe them off before I realized that the white spot was fuzzy casing.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I ride gatorskins on my mileage wheelset and when they get worn thin, the rubber comes off in patches. I'm not a skidder and I've seen it several times. I tried to wipe them off before I realized that the white spot was fuzzy casing.
    How many miles do you get out of a back tire? I think I may have close to 4k on this one, just looked at my milage log.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhymenocerus View Post
    The tires have ~4000 miles or so on them. Its the rear so its pretty worn into a more squared off shape, but I thought Id be able to get more than 10 months out of them.
    At 4000 miles, I think you got your monies worth out of that one. Ride less and you will get a lot more than 10 months out of them. Lifespan should be measured in miles and not months unless you are one of those people who lets them dry rot before they wear out.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFUSPHOTO View Post
    Looks like someone has been skidding to a stop one too many times. There is almost no other way that you can get a bald patch like that/
    Actually, I think it's because it's on the back of a yellow bike. The Gatorskin on my yellow bike developed patches just like that at around 4,500 miles.

It's no doubt due to the rawsome gigajoules of power generated by yellow bikes.

Anyway, I rode it another 700 miles just to see when it would let go. It didn't. I got bored waiting and I was itchin' to put new tires on the bike anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the input guys, looks like ill be getting another sometime soon.

I agree that the yellow bike increases power numbers, especially old beat up heavy steel bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I used to have those worn out patches on my BMX bike rear tire when I was a lot younger, due to me having too much fun skidding around.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How is the sidewall protection in all those 4000 miles? Ive had bad luck with my conti 4000s with sidewall punctures (debris on road). Looking at gatorskins for everyday riding.
    2012 Specialized Tarmac SL3 - Race Black HTC2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie3000 View Post
    How is the sidewall protection in all those 4000 miles? Ive had bad luck with my conti 4000s with sidewall punctures (debris on road). Looking at gatorskins for everyday riding.
    I'm not so happy with the sidewalls on gatorskins. I have never used GP4000s, so I cannot compare with them. Even though they have the extra webbing on the sidewalls, they can still tear if you hit something. I have never had a sidewall tear with a Michelin Krylion tire. I have never replaced a gatorskin due to wearing out completely, but rather due to the sidewalls coming apart.
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com

<building a bike>
    I have two huge bulges on one of my Gatorskins; still rides fine, but it makes me a little nervous. Guessing they won't see the end of winter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Flirting with disaster

Quote Originally Posted by stec06 View Post
    I have two huge bulges on one of my Gatorskins; still rides fine, but it makes me a little nervous. Guessing they won't see the end of winter.
    "Huge bulges" need to be fixed immediately. If you want to continue riding these tires, you need to insert boots behind both bulges. Otherwise you risk a BANG flat tire with immediate loss of control of the bike and seriously impared braking. Don't tempt fate, especially with such a major temptation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    so is the concensus 4000-4500 miles for these tires?

And man why is someone riding a tire with buldges??? That's asking for it. Buldges mean the carcass is falling apart. Replace ASAP.

And I don't worry too much about tire puncture. All these "puncture resistance" label is marketing hype. Why do I think that? Because if run over an object sharp enough (nail, big thorn), it'll puncture ANY tire. I have not seen a real-life puncture that would make me think "hmmm had I had Gatorskin, the puncture wouldn't happen". If you want any meaningful puncture protection, then you gotta run a liner, and even this would only protection you from thorns and small glass shrapnel, but no way against nails and staples.

<building a bike>
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    "Huge bulges" need to be fixed immediately. If you want to continue riding these tires, you need to insert boots behind both bulges. Otherwise you risk a BANG flat tire with immediate loss of control of the bike and seriously impared braking. Don't tempt fate, especially with such a major temptation.
    Yeah, good point. It'll come off before I ride it again. Bike is currently in storage though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    X1 on that which I've seen on other "durable" training tires with high mileage/thin tread as well. It could be that the "hard puncture resistant" rubber loses the bond to the casing when thinned out ?? If you want to get some more miles out of them just put some shoe goo over the "treadless" spots. It doesn't last that long and you will have to reapply often but you can squeeze a few more miles out. That said ~ 4000 miles on a bike tire is a very good "you got your money's worth" point IMO.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    I have had patches come off like that on my 4 seasons. I think they are alot like the gatorskins. Only happened when they got thin.