RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

what michellin to use? Service Course or Optimun?

i need so guru advice... i can get the MICHELIN® PRO4 Service Course and the Michelin® Pro Optimum for about the same price (around 50 each)... in a few days i'm gonna get a new set of wheels shimano rs-80 c24 and i'm trying to get a new pair of tires.... i'm not in racing, some occasional ridding with friends (ok..those guys like to go fast) and mostly solos (20 to 50 miles)..my bike is a Bianchi Nirone 7 and i dont know how well is the clearence in the fork but looks ok for a 25... but i know the optimun is measuring 26.5... i'm behind for something in 25 because i would like a more confortable riding.. i know everbody like to go fast (even me) but still going confortable will give me consistency at the end of my riding... i have been using 25 before (vittoria rubino pro slick from preformance bike) and i like it..my actual wheels has a 23 but i miss the feeling with a 25.. thanks for your help
    Last edited by doctorvera; 07-16-2012 at 07:20 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I had a set of pro optimum that I got last year and rode through part of this season. I recently replaced them with a pro4 service course endurance (23mm) in the front and a rear pro optimum. I went for a 23mm in the front as my rain bike is a little tight with the 25mm. Anyhoo, to answer your question, the ride quality for the pro optimums is much smoother than the P4 endurance. I dont know how a 25mm P4 End would but it seems (subjective), the tire is harder.

I have my race wheels 23mm rims and the Pro4 race tires. They are lighter and roll great but I just cant say enough good things about the ride quality of the pro optimums. I just felt like I was riding on air.

Enjoy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    thanks for your opinion... i got the pro optimun set (front/rear) for 92 even with the tubes michelin from biketiresdirect.. good deal i think so.. i have been thinking the same about the front wheel in the future..i mean probably i will change it for a pro 4... probably.. but lets see how well are the set first...