Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007

What Tire Has Supple Ride AND Thorn Resistance

I ride about 200 miles per week on roads in Southern California. Roads are almost always dry and this time of year can have some debris like small thorns, wire clippings, staples, etc.... In past 6 weeks I have had 7 flats - ugh!

I have been riding Rubino Pro III tires for some time now and I have gone with them because I love the supple ride and I have never had a problem with flats.

I have ridden gator skins and some of the other tires that are highly resistant to thorns and flats - but I hated the brick-like ride. (I would rather have a comfortable ride and change a flat every week!)

My question - is there a supple riding, tire that has good resistance to flats?

I really like and want color of white. Size is 700 x 23. I pressurize to 120 psi before every ride.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    have you thought about switching to a 700x25 in a flat resistant tire, and running a lower tire pressure?

not sure how much you weigh, but I ride 25's at 200 lbs and usually run 90-95 psi with no issues.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerneil View Post
    I ride about 200 miles per week on roads in Southern California. Roads are almost always dry and this time of year can have some debris like small thorns, wire clippings, staples, etc.... In past 6 weeks I have had 7 flats - ugh!

I have been riding Rubino Pro III tires for some time now and I have gone with them because I love the supple ride and I have never had a problem with flats.

I have ridden gator skins and some of the other tires that are highly resistant to thorns and flats - but I hated the brick-like ride. (I would rather have a comfortable ride and change a flat every week!)

My question - is there a supple riding, tire that has good resistance to flats?

I really like and want color of white. Size is 700 x 23. I pressurize to 120 psi before every ride.

Thanks.
    how much do you weigh, to be maxed out in tire pressure?
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

'brifter' is a lame word.
    supple ride and 120psi do NOT go together.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    I weigh 155. These tires at 120 are still considered supple to others. They are rated at 145 psi. I used to ride 25's may indeed go back to that option.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    start dropping your pressures to find the sweet spot without pinch flatting
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless

wheelbuilder
    Kind of like laterally stiff, vertically compliant;-)

On a more serious note, you can't have both. I commute in crummy weather on Armadillos because I prioritize riding without a flat over anything else. If the weather is halfway decent, I'd rather get a flat and have a nicer ride.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    start dropping your pressures to find the sweet spot without pinch flatting
    ^^^This. Everyone should do this with all tires. There's a nice place between harsh and mushy and it's a revelation when it's found.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah your running too high a PSI and likely doesn't help riding over debris.

Have you considered a tubeless option. Bontrager R3 tubeless is sublime and extremely flat resistant with stans sealant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have ridden gator skins and some of the other tires that are highly resistant to thorns and flats - but I hated the brick-like ride.
    Like others have said about psi; lower=supple. You might try and revisit the tires above with a lower pressure?

Otherwise the above mentioned "tubeless" is an option??

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I weigh 155. These tires at 120 are still considered supple to others. They are rated at 145 psi. I used to ride 25's may indeed go back to that option.
    i weigh 170 and ride 23mm challenge clinchers at 95rr/85frt. max 'rated' pressure is just that. it has nothing to do w/ the pressure you should actually be using when riding. i can't imagine anyone of 'normal' weight (up to about 190/200) thinking 120psi could be described as 'supple'. if you're riding on decent pavement, 23mm tires should be fine. i can't imagine you needing over 100psi at the rear. you'll roll faster, have more traction, and benefit from a smoother ride. if you pinch flat at that pressure, don't add air...buy bigger tires.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 cxwrench.

I'm 5#'s lighter and ride my Rubino II's at 90fr/95r. Very comfortable. For flat resistance, use a standard thickness tube over those thin lightweight ones. The slightest object that pierces the tire will cause those thin tubes to leak. Not that standard tubes will fend of a piece of glass, nail, staple or thorn, the object has to pass through a bit more rubber before it leaks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    Am I missing something here - won't dropping my tire pressure result in more flats?

I always thought higher pressure would reduce pinch flats and also provide additional protection against staples etc. To me, it seems like lower pressure would allow thorns and other small items to "stick" to the tire and then with rotations eventually pierce the tire and inner tube.

By the way - thank you all for ideas.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Am I missing something here - won't dropping my tire pressure result in more flats?

I always thought higher pressure would reduce pinch flats and also provide additional protection against staples etc. To me, it seems like lower pressure would allow thorns and other small items to "stick" to the tire and then with rotations eventually pierce the tire and inner tube.

By the way - thank you all for ideas.
    Yes, you're missing something.

There is a threshold depending on tire, tube, weight, etc between riding without pinch flatting and pinch flatting.

Higher pressures won't change the properties of the tire itself, when it comes to improving its construction. Higher pressures won't cause the rubber to turn hard and resist thorns, staples, etc from slightly puncturing the tire (and sticking to the tire).... it's based on the tire itself, from construction to compounds.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    I am having the same problem.
    I am running Gatorskins on my rain bike and flat EVERY ride do to glass, debris, etc...I'm running 105psi. and I weight 160. I do not have this problem on my regular bike in the dry. I know wet roads and tires make crap stick more.
    I've been thinking about getting Conti 4 seasons, but debating on 25's. If 25mm gives you more of a contact patch, won't that increase my chances of picking up more debris, even though I want the better traction?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I always thought higher pressure would reduce pinch flats and also provide additional protection against staples etc..
    Actually, very high pressures can give you more puncture flats. Often, a slightly softer tire will just have enough give to roll over a sharp object without that object penetrating the tire. If the tire would have been rock-hard, it would have had very little give. With all else being the same, that would have allowed the sharp object to penetrate the tire more easily.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Actually, very high pressures can give you more puncture flats. Often, a slightly softer tire will just have enough give to roll over a sharp object without that object penetrating the tire. If the tire would have been rock-hard, it would have had very little give. With all else being the same, that would have allowed the sharp object to penetrate the tire more easily.
    ^^+1
    Same with going to a wider tire will produce less pressure per square inch allowing the rubber to deflect easier to debris.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS Alpine View Post
    Have you considered a tubeless option. Bontrager R3 tubeless is sublime and extremely flat resistant with stans sealant.
    ^^^ This. For small puncture flats, tubeless is your best option.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjohn64 View Post
    ^^+1
    Same with going to a wider tire will produce less pressure per square inch allowing the rubber to deflect easier to debris.
    But you also have to figure tire pressure. Tension of a tire ("hardness") is psi multiplied by volume. This means that a larger tire at, say, 90 psi will be "harder" than a smaller tire at 90 psi. So for the larger tire to be as compliant as the smaller tire, you'd have to reduce pressure in the larger tire to somewhere below 90 psi.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Will less pressure help me with my supermodel who is low maintenance quest too?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ive had good luck with Schwalbe Duranos. They have a relatively decent ride with a supposed "protection belt."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Newnan3 View Post
    Ive had good luck with Schwalbe Duranos.
    I run the Durano Plus, they are heavy but the 25's are more supple than Gatorskins at 90-95psi. Both work well for me in the inland empire, maybe one flat every 2000 miles. I am always scanning the ground for screws, bolts and immediately sweep the tires off with my glove if I ride over any glass. A truly supple and (very) puncture resistant tire doesn't exist to my knowledge.
    Last edited by Dunbar; 11-08-2012 at 03:55 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    But you also have to figure tire pressure.
    The size of the contact patch is controlled by the tire pressure. If you are concerned about the effect of pressure on puncture resistance you don't need to consider tire width... just pressure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I just picked up the new Roubaix 2bless 700X23/25 & it looks beefy! reccomended psi is 90-115

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by grpweld View Post
    I just picked up the new Roubaix 2bless 700X23/25 & it looks beefy! reccomended psi is 90-115
    Make sure to write up a review. I am very interested in this tire and the R3 25c. Make sure to let us know what rims and actual width of the tire on that specific rim. Thanks!

Also how much were they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast