RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008

Wheel bearing grease?

On a recent ride about half way I stopped for a rest and when I resumed the ride my front wheel started making a creaking noise, The bike is brand new with less than 25 miles on it but am thinking that I need to look into the wheel bearings? Thinking maybe they are a bit dry? So my question is what type of grease should you use to repack your wheel bearings? I have Vavoline wheel bearing grease for my cars but don't know if this would be good for the bike? Should I use it or go the the LSB and purchase a different type?
    The LSB has a 3 week waiting list for service right now so I'm going to do the work myself rather than wait for the shop.Thanks

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert E Smith
    On a recent ride about half way I stopped for a rest and when I resumed the ride my front wheel started making a creaking noise, The bike is brand new with less than 25 miles on it but am thinking that I need to look into the wheel bearings? Thinking maybe they are a bit dry? So my question is what type of grease should you use to repack your wheel bearings? I have Vavoline wheel bearing grease for my cars but don't know if this would be good for the bike? Should I use it or go the the LSB and purchase a different type?
    The LSB has a 3 week waiting list for service right now so I'm going to do the work myself rather than wait for the shop.Thanks
    Assuming you purchased your bike new from your LBS, IMO you should take it back and let them diagnose/ service it. Most LBS's offer free service on bikes purchased and, unless you're fairly skilled in this area, you may be misdiagnosing the problem. Additionally, it may be a warranty issue. All things considered, I would think the LBS could make some effort to get you in before the three week wait.

So. Calif.
    Check also that you dont have a crack somewhere in the front -- hub, fork, or rim. A failure there could cause a nasty crash.

Have you taken the wheel off and spun the axle by hand? What does it feel like?

Axle should turn smoothly with minimal drag, no binding, no "grittiness", and virtually no discernable "play".

Also note that some hubs use a catridge bearing, which is not lube-able or adjustable (unlike a cup & cone ball-bearing design) -- the cartridge can only be replaced as a unit.

More info at Park Tool's website :
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105

A month ago I posted concerning excessive drag in my wife's Specialized bike's hubs -- I know that's not your complaint -- but you may find the thread helpful :
    Specialized hubs seem to have excessive drag

p != b
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert E Smith
    To address your initial question - not sure about the valvoline grease, it's probably OK. I personally use marine trailer wheel bearing grease. Take a look at the park tools link that someone else posted to understand what you're undertaking.

But...

Creaks on bicycles are notoriously tricky. That 'front wheel creak' could actually be your headset, stem, handlebars, bottom bracket, crankset, or seatpost. It could be a crack somewhere in the frame or fork. The only way to be certain that it's actually the front wheel would be to borrow a front wheel, and ride with that.

Assuming it actually is the front wheel, it still may not be the bearings. A drop of oil or chain lube where the spokes cross and where the nipples enter the rim may quiet them down as well.

If I were you, I'd take it back to the LBS. As long as you didn't threaten to go buy somewhere else over a $10 difference, they should be willing to take a look at it for you. Probably a five minute job to diagnose it. If they're not willing to spend that five minutes on a paying customer, it's time to find a new LBS.
    I love the sound of cowbell in the morning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I use Phil Wood grease, which is 'designed' for bikes and hubs. Most grease is grease, though.

Go back to your shop and make a big stink about your brand new bike creaking, you should get results.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    You got some good advice other than the car grease. Go back to your LBS and ask them to take a look at it NOW! It's a brand new bike. You can also take the wheel off and turn the bearings and feel how they turn. The grease that I use is Pedro's SyncLube. I would never use any other grease other than a synthetic grease but there are other synthetic greases.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!
    Unfortunately the shop I purchased it from is in Florida and I'm in Ohio now so that's kind of why I'm on a 3 week wait at the local Fuji dealer here, Working on trying to set up a good repore with them so not going to be to pushy yet.
    Anyway I'll do a good inspection on my own and see if I find anything and then if nothing is obvious I'll just have to wait on them.
    Anyway thanks! You all have given me some things to check I wouldn't have thought of ! Time to get busy!