banned
    Sep 2011

Wheel Nomenclature 1A

1. In almost all the threads, what dimension is being discussed in say " 26" or "28" tubulars ?

2. What is the benefit in size increase of the dimension labeled 24 in above illustration ?

3. Tubular or clincher ? When I rode there were "sew ups". If it's a "tube" tire, isn't that a "clincher " ?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    1 - Not depicted in this diagram. That usually refers to the diameter of the wheel, but isn't standardized, sometimes it includes the diameter with the tire in place, sometimes, not.

2 - That is the depth of the rim, the theory is the deeper the rim, the more aerodynamic it is.

3 - That is a clincher rim. Tubular = sew-ups. Tube and tire installed as separate pieces = clincher. You can tell it is a clincher because of the bead hooks depicted at the measurement of 13.9

banned
    Sep 2011
    Tire size for almost all road bikes, and this is a road bike forum, is "700c", 700mm or 27.55 inches. When casual terms are randomly thrown out there, it is confusing. A TIRE, not WHEEL dimension would be WIDTH of between 14 and 20mm, no ? Millimeters, not cm. I don't think "26" refers to Wheel or tire diameter. That's gotta be tire section or width. As in here:

will 26mm fit on these rims?

Thanks for your patience with my ^%$#&*^.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by MySpokeIsABroke View Post
    WIDTH of between 14 and 20mm, no ?
    I've never known a tire being less than 19mm. Usual widths are 23 and 25mm.

I don't think "26" refers to Wheel or tire diameter. That's gotta be tire section or width. As in here:
    We knew he was talking about tire width.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I see 26, I think mtn bike wheel, not tire width. So I put 26 and 28 into inches and I stand by the answer I gave for that. Check out some Vittoria tires, they say 28" on them and are meant for "700c" rims. Just like mtn bike wheels referred to as "29" are the same size as 700c rims.

If we are talking 26 and 28c, as in mm, then yes, those are tire widths. Although 26 isn't one you see very often. It is usually 21, 23, 25, 28, 30, 32, 34/35, 38, 42, etc. for "road" bikes.

14 and 20mm wide tires would be incredibly skinny by today's standards. I think the thinnest tubular I've seen advertised is 19.

banned
    Sep 2011
    Thanks Kris. All the common tire widths you mention exceed the wheel width. That's the norm ??

Edit: missed that Mike. I think what has confused me, among other things is people are referring to the wheel depth, the "24" shown in the wheel pic. That's a "24". A tire could also be a "24" . Going out soon for a ride, before it get's really nasty.

A wheelist
    Thanks Kris. All the common tire widths you mention exceed the wheel width. That's the norm ??

Edit: missed that Mike. I think what has confused me, among other things is people are referring to the wheel depth, the "24" shown in the wheel pic. That's a "24". A tire could also be a "24" . Going out soon for a ride, before it get's really nasty.
    Now we're confused. We thought we had all diameters/widths/depths sorted.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

banned
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Now we're confused. We thought we had all diameters/widths/depths sorted.
    agreed, when talking about tubulars in particular a "24" could mean a 24mm rim depth. For example, I ride on "44"s

30 mpdb

A tv show can also be "24". You just need to figure out what the measurement belongs to and it is clear.

Edit: it is normal for tire width to exceed rim width.