Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3

    Wheel purchase advice please:

    I have a trek speed concept 9.0, and have decided on the Bontraeger Aura wheels. I'm leaning towards a 9 back wheel, 5 front, any advice on the wheel size?
    Also curious if anyone has gone tubeless?

  2. #2
    flinty-eyed moderator
    Reputation: Coolhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    12,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Pdxits View Post
    I have a trek speed concept 9.0, and have decided on the Bontraeger Aura wheels. I'm leaning towards a 9 back wheel, 5 front, any advice on the wheel size?
    Also curious if anyone has gone tubeless?
    I have a Speedconcept with the Aeolus 9 TLR Clinchers, set-up tubeless with Bontrager R3 TLR tires (24mm on the wide TLR rims rides like a 25). Zero issues, no flats.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    153
    Why do you want to stick with Trek wheels?
    There are so many other options for premium wheels on the market....

    On a speed concept I would personally use some nice Zipp wheels for example.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3

    Thanks Coolhand - and Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    I have a Speedconcept with the Aeolus 9 TLR Clinchers, set-up tubeless with Bontrager R3 TLR tires (24mm on the wide TLR rims rides like a 25). Zero issues, no flats.
    Do you have Aeolus on both wheels ?

  5. #5
    flinty-eyed moderator
    Reputation: Coolhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    12,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Pdxits View Post
    Do you have Aeolus on both wheels ?
    Yes- I have a set of Clincher 9s for racing. I also have an Aeolus 5 I can swap from my Madone if its really windy.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spdntrxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6,761
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_mm View Post
    Why do you want to stick with Trek wheels?
    There are so many other options for premium wheels on the market....

    On a speed concept I would personally use some nice Zipp wheels for example.
    Aura is not premium , so it seems ops does not want top end wheel sets.
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    Aura is not premium , so it seems ops does not want top end wheel sets.
    I do want premium. I bought Zipp nsw 404's and the front wheel was to thick for the frame. Any advice on a premium wheel that would fit a 2015 speed concept 9.0?

Similar Threads

  1. Raleigh Sport used purchase / retrofit advice, please?
    By shuftie in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 08:34 AM
  2. Please please please..remove the Primal Ads
    By bikenj in forum SiteFeedback/Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2009, 08:10 PM
  3. Tomasso full carbon web purchase vs Bianchi steel frame purchase from LBS
    By Nekidewtons in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-25-2006, 02:56 PM
  4. Another new purchase advice please..
    By esmondc in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 04:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.