RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Wheels for 2017 Masi Gran Criterium

Hi, would welcome some suggestions for wheels for this bike. It came with Weinmann SEC-16. Don't know too much about them except they were both dished when I received bike. I was thinking of getting Campy Zondas but would appreciate any suggestions. I weigh 190 lbs. It would be nice if I could get something as good as Zondas but a little more Retro if possible. The Zondas I can get for under $400 from UK.

Thanks for your time!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Weinmann makes budget level wheels. Not great, but not terrible for their price.

I don't know a lot about the Zondas. The reviews I see are generally positive. I don't really care for the triple spoke pattern - I see it as a potential stress point on the rim.

If you are looking for something retro, you probably won't go wrong with a pair of H+Son Archetype rims in polished silver (nice and understated, no flashy graphics) laced conventionally 32 spoke 3-cross to Shimano 105 5800 hubs in silver and DT Swiss Competition silver spokes. Prowheelbuilder.com will build these for $384 though I'm not sure how good their build quality is. A local builder can probably do this build for around $450-600.

Edit: Here is a pair from Velomine for $269 + $10 shipping. Though I have to warn you that others on this forum have complained of Velomine not stress relieving their wheels properly. If this happens, your wheels will go out of true on the 1st or 2nd ride. I'm sure your friendly bike shop would be happy to stress relieve and re-true them for around $20-25 or so:

H Plus Son Archetype Silver Rims Shimano 105 Road Bike Wheelset 8 9 10 11 Speed | eBay
    Last edited by Lombard; 05-09-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'm usually a custom wheel advocate, but I recently got a set of pre-built Campy Neutron Ultras that I like quite a bit. They're a couple hundred bucks cheaper than what I usually get (White Industry T11 hubs, HED Belgian rims and cxray spokes), and I was looking for something Italian to put on my refurbished Colnago C40. They're a little under $600 at Ribble, who will charge you $20 shipping. They came with skewers and nice wheel bags that I'm still trying to figure out what to do with. They don't have the ugly Campy spoke pattern. They weighed in at 1560 grams which is close to claimed weight. They get a ton of good reviews. The spokes are laced right into the hubs, so they don't have a j-bend. I think they have the look you want as well. The decals come off easily with a hair dryer (I left the Campagnolo ones on)

Campagnolo Neutron Ultra Clincher Wheelset - Wheels - Ribble Cycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Hi, thanks for the responses... I was considering the Neutrons but my friend had those and said it was very hard to get the Conti 4000's on and off without much difficulty. He told me to get the Zondas. I think the White's would also be great too!.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by romad View Post
    Hi, thanks for the responses... I was considering the Neutrons but my friend had those and said it was very hard to get the Conti 4000's on and off without much difficulty. He told me to get the Zondas. I think the White's would also be great too!.
    It is a bit harder to mount tires on them, but not impossible. I've found that the tire levers make a big difference. I can get them off with the wide Park levers. The regular sized ones are worthless. I've got Vittoria Corsa G+ tires on them, which are just fantastic. Actually nicer than Conti 4000S (which are on two of my other bikes).