RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

Wheels for 260 pound rider???

Hi want to help get a friend into road biking and better fitness. He is looking to buy a Specialized Tarmac Expert but I am concerned with the Mavic Aksium wheels based on the information in the ratings and his Clydesdale size.
    Any recommendations on a FACTORY set of wheels for him? Not sure I want to go the custom made route as his budget is probably in the $400 range I would guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I am bigger than that and I ride Mavic Ksyerums...he will be fine. There is no weight limit on Mavics per their documentation.....

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by cervelott
    Hi want to help get a friend into road biking and better fitness. He is looking to buy a Specialized Tarmac Expert but I am concerned with the Mavic Aksium wheels based on the information in the ratings and his Clydesdale size.
    Any recommendations on a FACTORY set of wheels for him? Not sure I want to go the custom made route as his budget is probably in the $400 range I would guess.
    The Askium are Mavic's lowest lever wheel. Those low spoke numbers are just asking for trouble for such weight. $400 range? You can get a fine set of handbuilt wheels for that with sensible numbers of spokes - take your pic from this site's sponsor.

Factory pre-built wheels are overpriced.
    Last edited by Mike T.; 03-24-2010 at 07:31 AM.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008

I'm 250 lbs. For my everyday wheels, I went with Velocity Deep V 32h front & 36h rear. Handbuilt with Ultegra hubs for $346 + shipping. I'm very satisfied with them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Ding, ding, ding!

Quote Originally Posted by gtpharr
    I'm 250 lbs. For my everyday wheels, I went with Velocity Deep V 32h front & 36h rear. Handbuilt with Ultegra hubs for $346 + shipping. I'm very satisfied with them.
    We have a winner!

RoadBikeReview Member

Ditto....2d...or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    We have a winner!
    Kerry has the answer. Weighing 240, I've damaged/destroyed several sets of factory pre-mades. I have Campy stuff (cause that's how I roll), But I have one set of Veloce laced x32 to Mavic CXP-33 (appx $500) w/15K miles and a set of Record laced 28F/32R to Mavic CXP-33 w/ about 10K. Get them trued x2/yr and they're perfect...not even one broken spoke.

If I had Shimano, I'd get Ultegra or Dura-Ace laced to CXP-33s. It's the way to go.

-Smarty

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Where did you get them GT?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I also replaced my stock wheels (Alex 320) with cxp33/ultegra 32 front and rear.
    I started at 270 and now down to 220. After 2K their still perfect and I ride rough
    roads. I also test rode a Tarmac today and am really smitten.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Ok so it seems to be between the cxp-33s and the Velocity. Many thanks guys and congrats on the big weight loss!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Where did you get them GT?
    I got mine at www.spinlitecycling.com

The Mavic CXP-33 and Velocity Deep V were my top 2 two choices. I ended up with Velocity only because it was easier to find a 36h rim for the rear. I'm pretty sure you friend would be well served with either wheel. Both should be well under $400 with Ultegra hubs built by a quality builder.
    Last edited by gtpharr; 03-25-2010 at 02:46 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Outstanding, thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dude, I don't know how mikeharper rides any type of Ksyriums, but I'm 215 and have had Ksyrium Elites and SLs rear wheels fail on me. Just because a company doesn't make a claim on max weight doesn't mean that the wheel can handle heavy riders. In fact, several wheel builders I've spoken to are cautious about recommending any Ksyrium sets to a Clyde over 250 lbs. Mavic (like Bontrager) do have weight limits. They choose not to make claims to avoid liability if their wheels fail. If you make no claims, then that prevents lawsuits against you. A Clyde needs to look at durability first. I would suggest custom-build because contrary to the perception, custom wheels are actually less expensive than comparable off the shelf wheels. Performance Bike sells a set of Mavic open Pro w/ Ultegra hubs for around $300-325. I believe that several online stores sell them for the same (or less) as well. You can also buy a pair of pre-built Velocity Deep Vs for around $300 on the Velocity wheels website. They come with a 24 spoke front/32 rear set up and those wheels are virtually bombproof. Deep Vs are super sturdy. Other wheels to consider are Mavic CXPs (preferably CXP33), and DT Swiss 1.1/1.2s. Want validity to my claims? Check out Bikeforums.net. They have a Clydesdale forum. Read their experiences on wheels. You'll see Ksyriums and Bontragers failing under Clydes. Mikeharper is either just lucky or riding on borrowed time IMO.
    Last edited by terbennett; 03-25-2010 at 08:36 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got mine at www.spinlitecycling.com

The Mavic CXP-33 and Velocity Deep V were my top 2 two choices. I ended up with Velocity only because it was easier to find a 36h rim for the rear. I'm pretty sure you friend would be well served with either wheel. Both should be well under $400 with Ultegra hubs built by a quality builder.
    +1......

RoadBikeReview Member
    To the OP, these are the best things going out there IMO.