RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014

Wheels Manufacturing hubs

Does anyone have any experience with the wheels mfg hubs that were released recently? They seem to have some nice features and are pretty light compared to something like the T11 that gets recommended a lot.

Hubs - Front & Rear Road

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    "Designed by Alchemy Bicycle Works"

Alchemy is 0 for 2 designing a dependable hub (google it). Personally I would never give them a third at-bat especially considering there's not shortage of good options and the price is really high.

wheelbuilder
    I will continue to recommend them. I have two sets that's have been using for about a year now.

The issue with the recall was addressed with a strengthening of the weak point. They have since been tested against Dura Ace 9000 hubs and lasted longer in a test to failure (bench test, not out on the road). The test was far more punishing than any rider will dish out. They pre recall version failed predictably so it demonstrates that the improvement addressed things.

The second issue people had in the past was how the hubs were adjusted. The design relied on loctite for the thread and you manually adjust preload. This allowed for more user error and was known to loosen up over time.

This was addressed with a system of preload that allows the endcap to fully tighten like other hubs. The hub uses a couple of micro washers to work out any play without over loading the bearings.

The reason for this over a locking ring found on many other hubs is to allow the bearings to be placed more outboard. The more outboard the bearings are the better support there is for the axle and less flex.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    "Designed by Alchemy Bicycle Works"

Alchemy is 0 for 2 designing a dependable hub (google it). Personally I would never give them a third at-bat especially considering there's not shortage of good options and the price is really high.
    I am familiar with the failures of the Orc UL model but I wasn't aware that they had another design with failures. From what I read the recall was handled well but it would definitely be good to have people get more miles on them before jumping to any conclusions. Regarding price it is more expensive than WI T11 or DT240 but not extremely so. It's cheaper than Chris King.

Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    I will continue to recommend them. I have two sets that's have been using for about a year now.

The issue with the recall was addressed with a strengthening of the weak point. They have since been tested against Dura Ace 9000 hubs and lasted longer in a test to failure (bench test, not out on the road). The test was far more punishing than any rider will dish out. They pre recall version failed predictably so it demonstrates that the improvement addressed things.

The second issue people had in the past was how the hubs were adjusted. The design relied on loctite for the thread and you manually adjust preload. This allowed for more user error and was known to loosen up over time.

This was addressed with a system of preload that allows the endcap to fully tighten like other hubs. The hub uses a couple of micro washers to work out any play without over loading the bearings.

The reason for this over a locking ring found on many other hubs is to allow the bearings to be placed more outboard. The more outboard the bearings are the better support there is for the axle and less flex.
    Good information, thanks. How do you feel it holds up in less than ideal conditions like rain and grit?

wheelbuilder
    They are only as good as the bearing seals,but this is the same for most hubs. They rely on the seals of the cartridge bearings. Shimano has a labyrinth set of seals in them.

So long as the continue to spec quality bearings they should do well in inclimate weather.

The other factor that can effect bearing life is the tolerances of the bearing bores. The need to be concentric with each other and the fit can't be too tight/loose either. I expect Wheels Manufacturing will do well with that quality.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Wow those are really expensive, you can get T11s for much less and if you want light Tune hubs even cost less than those.

RoadBikeReview Member
    yes not cheap.. I'm debating the rear on my Enve 2.2 tubs. The rear with the DT240 is know not to be stiff and I can confirm it's not. The front is fine however.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    There's some interesting discussion on the bikerumor article.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/10/03/...earings-limit/

changingleaf
    This design is a similar concept to Boyd's new hubs.

Cpark
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra_kai View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the wheels mfg hubs that were released recently? They seem to have some nice features and are pretty light compared to something like the T11 that gets recommended a lot.

Hubs - Front & Rear Road
    Chiming in late here....
    I had 2 sets of wheels with Alchemy hubs, and they were the smoothest/most durable/laterally stiffest (I believe due to the wide flange width) wheels I had owned.
    I believe the issue was with the UL models
    Whenever I'm ready for another set of wheels, I know which hubs I'll be using.....