Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 31 of 31

Thread: Wheelset Advice

  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by charlitin View Post
    The weigSo I have a set of training wheels that weights 300gm less than my racing set at 1450s. I can tell the difference in acceleration between the two.CUT
    So you can tell if you have 2 full waterbottles or 1 without looking down?
    That's exactly the difference in acceleration.....(weight at the rims weighs twice)
    WHat you DO notice is the lesser resistance of the front wheel against turning the bars, it feels more "agile"

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,534
    Quote Originally Posted by charlitin View Post
    So I have a set of training wheels that weights 300gm less than my racing set at 1450s. I can tell the difference in acceleration between the two.
    Please read what I bolded here and re-read my previous posts again.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Keezx View Post
    So you can tell if you have 2 full waterbottles or 1 without looking down?
    That's exactly the difference in acceleration.....(weight at the rims weighs twice)
    WHat you DO notice is the lesser resistance of the front wheel against turning the bars, it feels more "agile"
    Why do you keep comparing something that has nothing to do with the wheel? F=mass x acceleration. Directly proportional F and mass here. This
    Means that if everything remains the same if you increase the mass the force needed to displace the wheel will increase proportionally. This is fact no opinion. Whether you feel it or not in the bicycle is irrelevant.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by charlitin View Post
    Why do you keep comparing something that has nothing to do with the wheel? F=mass x acceleration. Directly proportional F and mass here. This
    Means that if everything remains the same if you increase the mass the force needed to displace the wheel will increase proportionally. This is fact no opinion. Whether you feel it or not in the bicycle is irrelevant.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, you claimed something about what you feel , but now you say that's not relevant? So why mentioning that?
    I compared because it is a 100% relevant comparison with your stories about how lighter wheels feel.
    Human perception (and yours) is not capable feeling 0,7 % faster acceleration.
    It's hard for those who spend many Dollars on light wheels, but that's a fact.
    BTW , the use of the word displace is completely wrong here....
    Last edited by Keezx; 07-11-2017 at 08:01 AM.

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Keezx View Post
    Well, you claimed something about what you feel , but now you say that's not relevant? So why mentioning that?
    I compared because it is a 100% relevant comparison with your stories about how lighter wheels feel.
    Human perception (and yours) is not capable feeling 0,7 % faster acceleration.
    It's hard for those who spend many Dollars on light wheels, but that's a fact.
    BTW , the use of the word displace is completely wrong here....
    0.7%????
    300gm added to 1450gm of total wheels weight is about 20% increase of weight. 300/1450x100=20.7%.
    Unless you are talking of the whole bike.
    The 300gm will have a lower impact on the whole bike since the whole bike will roughly weight approx 15800gm. Here the 300gm represent only 1.9%.
    Now F=m x a, then a=F/m. Therefore a 300gm increase in rotational mass for a wheel will cause a 20% decrease in acceleration of the wheel.
    As for the whole bike decreased acceleration it will have to be extrapolated to take into consideration the other wheel. Honestly I don't want to do it.
    Now where did you get 0.7% from?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    27
    You forgot that you have to accelerate bike+rider which in most cases is > 80 kg.......
    0,6 kg (impact of 2 wheels 300 gr. heavier) is 0,75% of 80 kg......
    Simple math.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-14-2015, 03:54 AM
  2. Velocity A23 wheelset vs C-4 V22 wheelset
    By bstendig in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 03:49 PM
  3. This wheelset or this wheelset?
    By SROC3 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2009, 04:14 PM
  4. Seeking Wheelset Upgrade Advice
    By mflynn in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 12:44 PM
  5. bontrager race lite wheelset: advice?
    By haiku d'etat in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 04:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •