RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Wheelset build for hybrid 135mm

I'm looking to build my second set of wheels. I'm not all that experienced but the first build did go alright a year or two ago. Want to keep this one inexpensive as its for a hybrid. Also just want some more experience before I build up something more expensive for my road bike.

Just wanted some suggestions as I don't see much for 135mm hubs.

I'm thinking FH-t610 Deore rear hub and the hb-t610 for the front? Would those work? Any other suggestions?

How about the rim. Would the dt swiss 460s work for a hybrid with those hubs? Again any other suggestions?

I'm riding a few year old Specialized Sirrus with vbrakes. Also planning on using 28 or 32mm tires. I don't ride the bike hard, only use it around the beach or when I'll be commuting.

My last build was 105 hubs with h plus son rims. I would of just liked to use these on the Sirrus but when I tried to fit the wheel it seemed like the sirrus uses 135mm.

Thanks for any help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    They shouldn't be impossible to find but they're not common. White Industries will make T11s in 135 spacing. Another alternative is just use a 135mm disc hub, which would work fine.
    November Bicycles
    www.novemberbicycles.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post

I'm thinking FH-t610 Deore rear hub and the hb-t610 for the front? Would those work? Any other suggestions?
    If your hybrid is 8, 9 or 10 speed, yes, it'll work.

I'm not aware of any others in the same price range as the Deore. It's amazing how cheap those hubs are and I hear they're actually half decent.

grizzly moderator
    The Deore LX FH-T670 would be another choice. Middle of the road, good touring hub.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    The Deore LX FH-T670 would be another choice. Middle of the road, good touring hub.
    This is the way I would go. But does Shimano even make these hubs anymore? All the ones I've seen are new/old stock. The latest generation Deore series seems to have gone all disc.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This is the way I would go. But does Shimano even make these hubs anymore? All the ones I've seen are new/old stock. The latest generation Deore series seems to have gone all disc.
    Discs is what is shown on their Tech Docs site. So I'm not sure but if I had to guess it would be "No".
    The 670 is readily available though so it doesnt really matter, at least for the short term. They are inexpensive enough to buy two, the second for parts.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    Another alternative is just use a 135mm disc hub, which would work fine.

I didn't know you can use a disc hub for rim brakes. Is this possible?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Sure. Just don't put a rotor on. Done. I rode a set of mtb wheels like that for ~18 months when I knew I'd be getting disc brakes but hadn't yet done it, and needed new wheels.
    November Bicycles
    www.novemberbicycles.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sure. Just don't put a rotor on. Done. I rode a set of mtb wheels like that for ~18 months when I knew I'd be getting disc brakes but hadn't yet done it, and needed new wheels.

Wow, I never knew it was that simple. Though of course, they would need to be quick release, right? Aren't most disc brake hubs going thru-axle now?

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Most current hubs are adaptable to whatever axle format is needed.
    November Bicycles
    www.novemberbicycles.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Most current hubs are adaptable to whatever axle format is needed.

Good to know. Thanks Dave!

-- Warren Buffett