RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Wheelset Recommendation for Daily Ride

Hello everyone.

I am planning to change my wheelset but I have some main questions in my mind.

First, I will give some information about myself. I am riding on a Specialized Tarmac with Ultegra 6700 groupset and wheels. I am using Grand Prix 24C tires and 65gr inner tubes from Schwalbe.
    I'm 184cm tall and weight around 65 kilos and riding daily for fun and performance rides with small groups.

Roads I am riding are mostly hills, and low quality tarmac. Many long speed descents, potholes, speed bumps, patched tarmac and everything.

Now I have 2 questions in my mind. I've never used tubulars so I don't know if it will be cool or not for daily rides. There are cheap and lightweight tubular carbons. Maybe I can even afford Zipp 202 Tubulars.
    Second question is; I don't know if carbon braking surface will be good for my rides. I've never had pinch flats but if I will have, I afraid that I will ruin all the rim. Also I don't know if that light wheel will be good for my rides.

If it won't be, I need to chose some clinchers. A bit heavier with the wheel and also will be heavy with the tires + tubes.

I was thinking about building a wheelset, but I don't have many good builders here in Turkey so I don't think that it will be a good idea.

In that case, can you give me some advices about the wheelset I can upgrade. I don't want to spend more than $1000 for it, but if it will worth to spend some more, I can try to arrange it.

Online Wheel Builder
    If your wondering if making the jump to tubulars is right for you then I would advise against it. Tubulars will usually yield a better ride quality than clinchers due to their air column stack height but with that said for most riders the idea of changing a flat on a tuby is daunting at best. Stick with clinchers and go tubeless. They won't be quite as supple as tubys but they can still give you small enhancements in ride quality, and be far less prone to flats than a standard tubed setup.

In your price range I would stay away from carbon. Not all carbon is created equal and in the 1k range I wouldn't trust any carbon rim, especially a clincher.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    If you had a Roubaix... then you could get away with some really low spoke count wheels like say...Mavic Kysrium Elite or some Shimano clinchers... and my Mavics do hold up to shoddy NJ roads.

so us yanks on the imperial units, approx 143 lbs.... 28 rear/24 front should be more than suffice..... but.. which clincher wheelset? That's the tough question. The people here don't like wheelsets that use proprietary spokes/nibbles.

one idea is Stan's Alpha 400 Team wheelset as a pre-built wheelsetl
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    If I was as lightweight as the OP is and liked to climb, the Shimano C24 clincher would have been on the very top of my list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    The wheels you have are good daily riding wheels.

Tubulars are NOT daily riding wheels for 99% of riders. The other 1% have been huffing Vittoria Mastik 1 and acetone for so long that they're not listening to reason.

There are well made < $1000 carbon wheels if you know where to look. But for daily riding you want to stick to aluminium rims. Better braking, more durable and less expensive when you damage one. Rims are a consumeable like tires and chains.

BTW a good clincher tire + tube weighs about the same as a good tubular. The weight savings is in the rim, especially carbon tubulars. But it is small and won't make a difference unless you are racing. Even then it's very small.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    I don't the ultegra level Tarmacs have Roval wheels...

so... there is something about Specialized hubs that kills the wheelset that comes with their bikes... they just don't roll that well. Even my Bikesdirect bike (Windsor Wellington 3.0) I have for vacations... the hubs on them have a lot less friction than the ones that came on my Secteur.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    As I mentioned I was riding with Ultegra wheels, and I tried Hutchinson Fusion 2 tubeless tires. To be honest, I couldn't see any difference in ride. Even heavier set makes bike bulky. I also didn't have pinchflats since I started to ride road bikes.

Thats the reason, I can't see any positive side of tubeless tires.

Also sub $1000 carbons are not reliable you say, so I am not thinking about it too.

It seems, the best option is looking for DA9000 C24. Because I have really strong sidewinds and most of trucks around my area...

Is there anything else you can recommend?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The C24s fit your stats, purpose and budget exceedingly well. Put a set of Conti 4000S on them and go riding. You will be hard pressed to find a better set and if you do the differences will be minute to the point of being meaningless to riders of your weight. Dont overtink this because you are splitting hair!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    ...Tubulars will usually yield a better ride quality than clinchers due to their air column stack height ...
    What is air column stack height?
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.