Wheelset Recommendation for Roubaix Elite Triple

Any suggestions for <350$ wheelset and hub for 2007 Roubaix Elite Triple
    Weight 165
    Ride 10-30 mile, lots of hills, occasional dirt roads
    currently using stock mavic open sport /105
    thank you

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I have the same bike (08 version) and just replaced my OEM wheel set with Blackset Race 11, dropped a minimum of 2 pounds. I have about 200 miles on them and so far so good. They are $329 shipped. Hope this helps.
    I am probably the last person to have received an email from Sheldon Brown! A very nice gentleman.

2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple
    105 Shifter/derailleurs
    FSA Gossamer Triple MegaExo
    BWW Blackset Race 11 wheels
    Continental Gators 25c
    Kool Stop Salmon brake pads
    Cateye Strada Double Wireless CC-RD400DW
    Sigma PC-9 HRM
    RADBOT-1000 rear strobe flasher
    Blaze 1/2w LED headlight

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Thank you

I was looking at those as well. Did you use the stock 105 hubs or replace those as well?
    Also, do you think the riding dynamics of the bike changed very much with the new wheels? on hills etc?
    thank you

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DGcycle View Post
    I was looking at those as well. Did you use the stock 105 hubs or replace those as well?
    Also, do you think the riding dynamics of the bike changed very much with the new wheels? on hills etc?
    thank you
    The hubs on the BSR 11 are the Pure ones. The wheels are lighter of course. One of my reasons for switching from the Open Sport was that they weren't staying true (the rear one anyway). I weigh 172 and I am 6'2". The Roubaix is a plush ride and nothing is gonna change that I hope!
    I am probably the last person to have received an email from Sheldon Brown! A very nice gentleman.

2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple
    105 Shifter/derailleurs
    FSA Gossamer Triple MegaExo
    BWW Blackset Race 11 wheels
    Continental Gators 25c
    Kool Stop Salmon brake pads
    Cateye Strada Double Wireless CC-RD400DW
    Sigma PC-9 HRM
    RADBOT-1000 rear strobe flasher
    Blaze 1/2w LED headlight

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DGcycle View Post
    Any suggestions for <350$ wheelset and hub for 2007 Roubaix Elite Triple
    Weight 165
    Ride 10-30 mile, lots of hills, occasional dirt roads
    currently using stock mavic open sport /105
    thank you
    Actually that sounds like a pretty nice wheelset. My 105 hubs have over ten years on them, and their second set of rims. I've repacked the front twice and the rear's on its second freehub, but I'm pretty content with that given the time, and that I've ridden them enough to wear out the stock rims.

BWW carries the Open Sport/105 as one of their wheels. They claim it weighs 1965g.
    The Open Pro/Ultegra wheel comes in at 1892g.
    The Race 11 is advertised at 1495g, at the build level that fits in your pricepoint.

So the swing in weight is just over a pound, and a decent chunk of that, more than half I think, is hubs.

I'd just wear out the stock wheels. If you care for them well and maybe get ahead of the ball and have someone (or do it yourself) really go over the tension and true, it should take thousands of miles.

Come to think of it, the '07 Roubaix is supposed to have Specialized-branded alloy hubs with cup-and-cone bearings. If that's what you have, forget my objections, those hubs are probably done by now.

I'd be torn between the Open Pro/Ultegra and CXP 33/Ultegra. OPs and CXP33s are both eyeleted rims and if you care for Ultegra hubs, they should last forever.